DC and environs hotels help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am able to get family rates on Marriott hotels. My husband are going in 2 weeks and staying 2 nights/3 days in DC. Plan Tourmobile at night and Vietnam Memorial and Smithsonian day. Part of a 2 week visit to area. Question is which hotel. Can get all for <$150. Have car but are fine with parking/taking metro. Which hotel is most convenient? And optimal in other ways-parking car/quality of rooms/metro stops?
Key Bridge Marriott, Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, Crystal Gateway Marriott or Wardman Park Marriott? Thanks

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM

My first choice would be the Marriott Metro Center, but since that's not on your list, I can recommend the Marriott Wardman Park. It's handy to a Metro stop, lots of interesting places to have dinner, and the national Zoo. Lovely landscaping. The older wing has charming rooms, many with balconies, and a back/side exit that's closer to the restaurants and Metro. On weekends, it's sometimes even possible to find on-street parking in the area.

Whichever hotel you choose, rely on the Metro rather than driving.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Of those Marriotts, I'd say Wardman Park, but JW Marriott is closest for monument/museum access.

There's also also a newer Courtyard in a renovated older building in Penn Quarter that would give you nice National Mall access.

Wherever you land, park the car until you leave.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:09 AM

I also think the three best options (equally) are:

1) Marriott Courtyard Hotel at 9th & F street NW

2) JW Marriot

3) Marriot Metro Center

Any reason these three are not on the list??

A distant fourth choice would be the Wardman Park Marriot
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Agree with above, but want to throw one other possibility into the mix:

Not sure how your deal works, but the Mayflower Hotel is a Renaissance Hotel and thus part of the Marriott chain. If your deal works there, I'd choose the Mayflower. Beautiful historic hotel on busy Connecticut Ave. in the heart of the city.

Otherwise, I too would go with the JW Marriott, if that makes your list.

Have fun!
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I stayed at the JW Marriott which is next to the historic Willard hotel. It is a great location as it is a couple blocks away from the White House. Breakfast is not included like some of the other Marriott hotel chains. There is a Starbucks in the hotel.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM

Speaking of Marriots...

We're planning a quick trip Columbus Day weekend on a budget, and I found a rate for Marriot Crystal City @ Reagan Nat'l Airport for $119. I understand there's a metro station right at the hotel (and we're planning on using the Metro for all our transportation) and an indoor pool (our two biggest requirements). The convenience, pool and price seem a little too good...am I missing something? Has anyone stayed here or have some familiarity with the property? I appreciate any feedback I can get about this hotel. Thanks a bunch!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:51 AM

debbiedana,
Of your list, I'd rank the others ahead of Crystal City, which is fine and relatively convenient, but a boring area. Wardman Park is right on the Metro in a nice neighborhood close to downtown and very near the zoo, while the Roslyn Key Bridge area is both close to Metro and is a quick hike across the bridge Georgetown. Don't know the exact location of the Residence Inn, however.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Debbie,
I don't believe there's an indoor pool, but we got Omni Shoreham on PL for around $125.

Biggy, I was thinking Tourmobile at night for the monuments also, but if we stick to Lincoln, Vietnam, Washington and maybe Jefferson, I'm thinking we don't really need the tourmoblie and can handle those on foot?

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:32 AM

If you did the monuments at night without the Tourmobile, I'd recommend starting at the Vietnam monument at dusk (I think it's more memorable when you can see it than at night) - you could walk over from Farragut or take taxi/bus. You could easily move to Korean, Lincoln, & FDR monuments (not on your list, but a good nightime one to see) - continue walking around Tidal Basin counterclockwise to see Jefferson Memorial. You could then get over to WWII, or just head east on Independence to the Smithsonian Metro stop.