Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Construction at the Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just on the Hilton web page checking our dates to make sure the rates hadn't gone down since we booked, and noticed a warning that there was "village rejuvenation" (or some other euphemism like that going on which could affect foot traffic. Does anyone know anything about this -- how major it is, when it's going to end, etc?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM

don't know about rejuvenation but the hhv is building a new tower on the ewa side of the property while redoing the lagoon and the parking structure. There will be alot of construction on property for a while.
Aloha!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Yikes, thanks for the info. Has anyone been there recently who can tell me whether this will affect my trip? Should I try to switch hotels? I'd rather not, but don't want to be woken by jackhammers at 7 a.m. either.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM

We just returned from a week long stay at HHV and did not observe any construction on the property. There was alot of construction going on at the Outrigger which is down from the HHV. I wouldn't worry about construction!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM

I just talked to my parents who are at HNL right now after spending a week at HHV. They were on the 22nd floor of the Rainbow Tower and said the construction didn't bother them at all.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Hey Karameli - I was just there in May for a week and there is a lot of construction going on all over the island. It really isn't that bad though - they don't work on the weekends and they stop around 5ish. We did have one guy with us that is a construction worker and had to change his room because he could hear the beep beep noise those big tractors make backing up and he thought he was at work. We stayed at the Outrigger Reef and they changed his room without any problems. The rest of us couldn't hear anything going on while at the pool and beach. One thing is for sure - when they get this project done it is going to be beautiful. I have been there 4 times in the past 2 years - I just love it there. Make sure to check out the Fireworks there - they blow them off on Friday nights and they are really cool -Especially with all those Mai-Tai's... lol..I didn't think it was very expensive at all either. We got a really great deal in May only $725 per person including airfare from SFO. It was awesome and I know your going to have a great time! Aloha
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay thanks everyone! I was starting to have visions of scaffolding and yellow tape but this has eased my mind a bit. I can handle a little beeping (I don't work in construction, so no nasty work flashbacks here!) but just didn't want it to be overwhelmingly construction-y, if you know what I mean. Sounds like it shouldn't bother us too much. Thanks again!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Patty, loved the live update from HNL. This board is extra-fabulous sometimes!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM

My father just stayed there and said that he wasn't bothered by construction at all. Last time we stayed there, it was dreamy.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:53 AM

ttt
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM

They will put up a wall surrounding the lagoon and near areas beginning at the end of August of this year and it is expected to last until the end of 2007.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:59 AM

We are planning on staying at the HHV the beginning of September this year. What exactly will be walled off? The construction area? This will be our first time staying there so I am not very familiar with the grounds. We will be staying in the Lagoon Tower. Should we change hotels or do you think it will be okay. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM
P_M

I was looking at the web last night and although I'm usually more of a budget traveler, I was really impressed by HHV and I'm considering a splurge. Is it as great as it looks?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM

Hi P_M, I have enjoyed staying at the HHV although it has been a few years since I have. I have a stepgrandson who was managing the bars there and I was suppose to go there this spring but he quit and went back to Portland. Little brat, lol.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
P_M

Hi LoveItaly, thanks for jumping in. The pics on the web looked so beautiful, it made me want to forget the money and just book it. It feels like the devil is sitting on one shoulder, saying "STAY AT HHV" while the angel on my other shoulder is trying to sell me on budget accomodations. Oh, decisions, decisions.... :-?

But it's so much fun!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM

I have to say HHV isn't my kind of place (I haven't stayed there just walked through it a dozen times) but my parents LOVED it. It's just much too busy for me. If I were splurging in Waikiki, I'd stay at the Halekulani. YMMV
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Patty is correct. The Halekulani is far superior to the HHV. Better restaurants, better location, better guest services and a place that caters more to adults than kids. The HHV is very touristy.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Of course the Halekulani is better than the HHV. For my dates, the lowest rate at HHV is $229 compared to $550 at Halekulani. If $229 is a splurge, $550 is probably out of the question.

P_M< I'm usually a budget traveler too but decided to spend the extra $$ on the HHV because I'm planning to do a lot of hiking/kayaking/etc and will need a nice place to relax. I don't mind having families and kids making noise, as long as my room is clean and the grounds make me feel like I'm actually on vacation.