Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Comp'd weekend was going to be Philadelphia, but now is looking like Chicago, need to know which hotel you would choose...

Search

Comp'd weekend was going to be Philadelphia, but now is looking like Chicago, need to know which hotel you would choose...

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
HaveVisaWillTravel

We have a comp'd weekend that appears to be more trouble than it is worth because I have spent so much time on it, but nonetheless, after discovering the Philadelphia choices were booked, we are now looking at Chicago. Out of the three choices, the Hyatt Regency is booked, but the Raphael and Tremont may still be possibilties... what would you choose, is it worth it?
Thanks!

Old May 7th, 2003, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the Tremont. It's a nice hotel just off Michigan Ave. So is the Raphael but unless it has recently been renovated, it's not as nice.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:37 PM

I'll second the motion; take the Tremont!
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:48 AM

HaveVisaWillTravl,

We have the same deal because of a house refi. Three nights, right? We picked Chicago since we love Chicago and were going to go anyway. Have to see the Giants-Cubs game (we already have our tickets for July 31)!!!!

In any event, after much research, we chose the Tremont. After Europe last year, I have very little interest in "cookie cutter" type hotels. I think the Hyatt Regency would fit the "cookie" mold.

Curious
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:41 PM
HaveVisaWillTravel

Thank you all very much for your input. You are right Curious, it was because of a refi. I hope the Tremont is available. I'll let you know what happens, thanks again!

Old May 8th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Kal

OK guys. I'll bite. What co. did the
re-fi? Visa/BofA?
As usual, I'm a dollar late and a comp'd trip and a few points short on the re-fi!

This may be the first time in a few years no Giants/Cubs @ Wrigley. Have fun and don't try and order Chardonnay at The Piano Bar north of Wrigley!
So long, Dusty!
Kal
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:22 AM
HaveVisaWillTravel

I wouldn't get too disappointed there Kal about not getting in on this "great comp'd weekend". As I mentioned it definitely has been more trouble than it has so far been worth. The first trouble is that you have to fax in your request (fine, right) but then if there is availability they automatically book you and there is a $100 fee to change or cancel....So, if you can't get a flight, etc. you're out. My thoughts are that if they do have availability at your desired location, when they call you back to tell you they do, I wish you could have a couple hours or something to confirm whether or not you want it. That way you could book a flight. After finding out Philly was booked, we decided on Chicago because it is (of course a great city) and also the only location offered that is within driving distance of us (six hours though).
So is it really worth it? Hmmm, perhaps, but so far not for me. We'll see.
Last year they gave away 2 roundtrip tickets, that was better, and because you asked, it is Wells Fargo that did the refi.

Old May 9th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Yes, it was Wells Fargo Mortgage that offered the trip. I did not know anything about this until after the closing. We received the brochure in the mail. There are litterally a hundred places to choose from.

I thought it was great! In addition you get reimbursed $100 spending money and a one- use 15 shot camera. I don't know what HaveVisaWillTravel's "problems" were. We had none. It was a snap and a very pleasant suprise.

Curious
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Kal

Thx guys.
Does sound like a lot of work!
The older I get the more I try to avoid "The Hassle Factor".

I think that's one reason why we have avoided time shares because it seems like you have to have the time to wheeel and deal to get what you want.

I'd pay a bit more for just about anything to avoid the hassle...most the time anyway.
Kal