Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Comments on Boston Restaurants: Grotto, La Morra & Franklin Cafe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did some "research" on the net and found these restaurants which look interesting: Franklin Cafe (on Shawmut Ave), Grotto and La Morra.

Would appreciate your comments on their food/service/value etc.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Since I have never been to any of the 3 and have only heard of La Morra, I did not respond - but seeing you have gotten no responses, I'll try to start off.

Have heard and read of La Morra - a relatively new restaurant in Brookline. What I have heard has been very mixed at best - service and food do not always match and sometimes one is good, sometimes the other.

If I wanted Italian food, I would eat in the North End of Boston.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Franklin Cafe is known for serving a good breakfast. Haven't been myself. Check out chowhound.com or phantomgourmet.com for info on Boston restaurants.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
gyppielou

I really like Grotto, they have a passion for food and laid back wonderful service in a cool subterranian space. Been going to the Franklin for years......never bfast if they are still doing that on Sundays(changes seasonally) It has a great staff, and serves late so it's a hot spot for cooks and waitsaff of other great restaurants. Know nothing of LaMorra.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:41 AM
cw

I'll chime in with a vote for La Morra. Very interesting and tasty food, and they have a great prix fixe menu. They have a website: www.lamorra.com where you can look at the menu. Be sure to make reservations.

I haven't been to the other two restaurants.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I loved La Morra - it was romantic and the food is fantastic. However, it's in Brookline, on a bizarre main thoroughfare called Route 9. Not exactly walking distance from Boston sights (if that's what you're doing? sightseeing? maybe not). I love the Franklin Cafe - fabulous food in a very cozy atmosphere. It's PACKED most of the time so go late or early or get ready to wait. They have a good bar...so it's not that bad. I'm absolutely mad for the new Union Grille on Washington Street in the South End. If you're willing to spend the $$, it's amazing....happy eating!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

I am not adverse to taking the subway, walking or grabbing a cab.

The main purpose for the trip is a conference so I'm officially on business, which normally means I get to go to $$ or $$$ restaurents. But this time I am travelling with a friend who is retired so we need to stick to certain budget, which means $$ or $.

By the way I posted a question on Chowhound on best gelati place in Boston: the answers are cafe paridiso (spelling?) and Via Matta. Are these close to downtown?

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Cafe Paradiso is on Hanover St in the North End. Depending on where you are staying, you can walk from the Waterfront or Financial District. If you are staying in the Back Bay I would take the Green Line to Haymarket and walk from there.