Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Commanders Palace-Jazz Brunch or Tasting Menu Dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in NO in two weeks to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. I have dinner reservations at CP for the Saturday night we will be there (tasting menu). I thought this would be our *special* dinner for our trip.

Since making the reservations I am reading a lot of good reviews for the Jazz Brunch. So now I am undecided.

Which is better - the menu tasting for dinner or the jazz brunch? Is one better than the other? Which will be more romantic?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Get dressed to the nines and go to CO for the dinner tasting menu.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I agree with swoxrebel. For a jazz brunch, I'd find the best jazz around, not necessarily the best food, athough the best jazz musicians generally stay away from gigs such as brunches. Of course, it's all relative -- some of the worst jazz musicians in NOLA are far superior to some of the best in other cities.

There are also some gospel and soul food brunches that are a lot of fun. I think Praline Connection has one.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Jazz Brunch is family-oriented and can have a lot of children at it. I'd vote for dinner (and if you love it, see if they have room for you the next day at Brunch!).
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Another question - is the tasting menu A LOT OF FOOD? I know it is 7 courses. We are not huge eaters and don't want to stuff ourselves. Is the tasting menu something we could split? Or would that be gauche?

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I would be uncomfortable splitting the tasting menu. Each course is small and since it is over a long period of time, you don't feel like you are stuffed.

I advise you to drink some wine to whet your appetites and sample everything they bring you. Bon Appetit!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:02 PM

and if you want a nice casual Jazz brunch, there are some open air restaurants in the Quarter on Decatur near the French Market that have them Sundays (and some Saturdays) The French Market Cafe is one. You can look at the menu to see if this suits you. The tasting menu dinner sounds fun.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Don't forget to have the 25 cent martinis!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Remember, those slurpees they sell along Bourbon Street? They pack more of a whallop than the ones from 7/11
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM

My husband and I had brunch at Commander's Palace and will NEVER go back there again. It was awful. No jazz until right before our time was up. Made reservations months ahead of time asking for a good seating. Instead we were at the top of the stairs while we listened to two of the waiters talk about what they did the weekend. The worst experience of our trip!