Coming to Boston- where to leave car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are driving across the US in a few weeks, and we will end up in Boston for a few days before we start our return. I don't want to bring the car into Boston though... So where would you suggest leaving the car and then how would you suggest getting into Boston? Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I don't have time to do it now - and maybe you will get a direct answer - but do a search here on Boston + parking. Question has been asked before and there were a few semi-creative solutions to your problem. But the key is in your final phrase - how do we then get into Boston. After you factor in cost and aggravation of getting into Boston from outlying area, it actually can make sense to leave car at hotel or garage in Boston for duration - a lot depends on where you are staying.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:32 PM

One option is to park at a Logan Express site and catch the bus to Logan airport. You could then catch a cab or take the T to your hotel. http://massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_logan.html

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Which direction will you be coming from?

If you come from Mass Pike (I90) I would suggest going into the city and parking nearby at Copley place. It is directly outside the exit.

If you are coming from the south on I93 you could park at a "Park & Fly" out by Brockton. It is just north of where the road splits to go down to Cape Cod and is about 30min to 1 hr from South Station / China Town in downtown Boston.

If you are coming from the North you could risk a parking area near a Commuter Rail station. If you check the MBTA website you should find maps and instructions for parking areas.

I would not drive from the North to Wonderland/Revere Beach and park there to take the Blue line into Boston as a car there overnight could be gone the next morning to a chop shop.

Logan express site will help and Gail's advice is worth considering. If you can get a parking spot in Boston use it. Print out your travel directions from a mapquest-esque website and you should be OK.

Don't, under any circumstances "Pahk tha cah in Havad Yahd."

-Craig

PS -- I just HAD to. How often does a legitimate opportunity like this come along?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM

The easiest and best solution would be to park at the Alewife T garage (the 'T' is Boston's public transportation system). To get there, take Rt 95/128 to Rt 2 East, and follow 2 East to Alewife station, on the Cambridge-Arlington city line. Parking is about $4-5/day, and you can take the subway to anywhere in Boston/Cambridge where you might want to go.

The Logan Express parking idea isn't awful, but it would be a lot more expensive and your car would be less accessible if you needed to go back to it during your stay in Boston.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 12:18 PM

Better check whether T stations (e.g., Alewife) permit overnight parking. Also, these garages and lots fill up very early on work days.

I agree with Gail -- the time & hassle involved in parking outside the city will probably be worse than driving in and paying to park the car while you're here. Another location that's economical is the parking garage underneath Boston Common -- the entrance is on your right as you go down Charles Street between the Public Garden and Boston Common, from Back Bay towards Beacon Hill.

If you're set on parking outside the city, then use the enormous parking garage right at Exit 13 on Route 95 (locally known as Route 128, as is the station); there's an Amtrak & commuter rail station (Providence/Attleboro line) there that will get you into the city.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:10 PM

You could check www.mbta.com and find a commuter rail station that permits overnight parking. Best time to arrive, of course, is as the daily commuters are leaving, or on a weekend, as lots/garages tend to be completely full during work days. If you're planning to leave lots of stuff in your vehicle, well, some lots/garages are safer than others. And, you'd have to haul your weekend luggage on public transportation.

If your "few days" should occur over a weekend, parking garages in Boston in the financial district are a real bargain over the weekend.

Wherever you're staying, note that the hotel can direct you to much more reasonable overnight parking, often in the same garage they utilize if you self park for significantly less.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your suggestions. Once we decide where we will hotel in Boston, we'll figure out the best place to pahk the cah.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 10:05 PM

May I suggest staying at the Longwood Inn in Brookline. You are 2 blocks from a "T" station and they have a parking lot for the car. It does not include breakfast but you can walk 3 blocks the other way to downtown Brookline or cook your own in the kitchen. It is nice and inexpensive.