Search

Columbia SC Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbia SC Hotels

I am looking for a downtown hotel in Columbia SC. Somewhere within walking distance of the bars and restaurants. Expedia is showing the Best Western Govenor's House at a good rate. Has anyone stayed there? Or can you reccommend an alternate?
Thanks, Greybeard
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Topping.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:50 AM
GoTravel

Either Claussens Inn in 5 Points or the new Hampton Inn in The Vista. Claussens is on Greene Street and the Hampton Inn is on Gervais. Both are very short walking distance to bars, restaurants, and shopping. Of the two I would pick the Hampton Inn because I like the Vista better than 5 Points.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:32 PM

I just returned from Columbia, and while I didn't stay downtown, I attended a banquet at the Adams Mark Hotel downtown and was very impressed by the hotel. Just thought I'd mention it...
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Claussen's is very convenient to Five Points, but a bit of a walk to places downtown. It is a great small hotel, though!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:54 PM

I heard that the Adam Mark Hotel was sued in court because they repeatedly and purposely treated Black guest poorly and lied to them. I think the Columbia SC hotel was involved. I don't know for certain.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everybody.
Greybeard
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Not sure if you've taken your trip yet and this is a long message, but to you or anyone else who might think of staying at the BW Governor's House, please DO NOT!!! I stayed there back in Nov 2002 and in January 2003 they charged my card for someone else's stay!!!

The only reason we stayed at the BW is because we scheduled an early morning breakfast meeting at the Atlanta Bread Company downstairs. It turns out this whole operation, including the ABC, is run by foreigners who barely speak English. The hotel is yucky, I had to move from my room because the bathroom light was broken, it was gross but the marketing rep and I decided we would just endure it for the night instead of going to the Hampton Inn, which from the outside appeared to be historic and much nicer.

As for the credit card fiasco, I had to get the Columbia PD involved and everything. The detective I spoke with was very helpful and even though he said it was a "civil matter" he went over to the hotel to speak with the manager because when he called the manager refused to give him any information. This guy did not return any of my phone calls and then had the never to not cooperate with the police!!! After the detective looked over all the receipts/hotel records, he asked the manager why he was pursuing me for this charge when he could obviously see that none of the info matched. (I live in Illinois and the person who stayed there was a male who worked for a company in North Carolina.)

The manager then told the officer that he realized the information was wrong, but that when he tried to run that person's AMEX, it would not go through and that AMEX gave him the Visa number to utilize instead!!!!! AMEX giving out alternative credit card numbers??? I don?t think so. Anyway, it was a horrible experience and I spent almost a week trying to get it straightened out. BW corporate was absolutely no help, they called the manager and then called me and basically said "he says he is not gonna drop the charge." What was worse is the credit card they used was one that I lost here in Chicago the latter part of November, so the charges should not have gone through anyway. At first the bank was telling me that it was up to me to pay it, but ultimately my manager and corporate security got involved and the bank paid it. I will never stay there again or any other BW!