colorado to utah drive

Search

colorado to utah drive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colorado to utah drive

hi - I'm flying into Denver this weekend, and out of Salt Lake the following weekend. Am meeting a friend who's driving xc. I've never been to this part of the country before and am wondering what would be good places to hit, in the timeline we have. We're hoping to do RMNP, maybe try to hit the north rim of grand canyon, and after that I'm not really sure! A combo of city and outdoor things would appeal. Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 09:26 AM

That's such a great drive! There's so many great things to do in that area. One you can't miss is Zion Nat'l Park. It shouldn't be too far off your route, especially if the Grand Canyon is in. There's great hiking and breathtaking scenery. Have fun!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 09:39 AM

There are many things to see out there.
I rank Zion down on the list, below Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef.

Before you figure in the North Rim, check the closing date: Yesterday, October 14. So you can rule thast one out.

Trail Ridge Road in RCMP may also be closed. It usually closes mid October.
Whether it is open now or now, I do not know and the park web site did not say.

I suggest going west on I 70 to Grand Junction and drive through Colorado national Monument. Continue on to Moab and visit Arches. Then visit the northern part of Canyonlands. The two are close. Then drive west to Capitol Reef and from ther take Utah route 12 to Bryce. That is a beautiful drive.

At that point you may well be out of time and need to head for your flight home.

If I had to rate them:
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Arches
Canyonlands
Colorado Nat. Mon.

The drive over Utah 12 is spectacular because it traverses an exposed section of the white Navajo Sandstone, which outcrops at Capitol Reef and Zion.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM

I would also recommend Dixon's route. I like Zion (not quite as much as Bryce), so I wouldn't leave it out.

Glenwood Springs would make a nice stop between Denver and Colorado National Monument. It might be worth a detour down to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, as well.

Moab is only a little more than an hour past GJ, and is a more interesting place to spend the night than GJ. Moab would be worth a couple of days. From there you can visit Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point SP (go at sunset).
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Everyone has their favorites...I would take Zion over Bryce anyday.

You only have a week and there is so much to do. It's already been mentioned that the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed. I love Zion but I really think it's a lot out of your way.

I have no idea what will be closed a RMNP, but Colorado National Monument, Arches, Canyonlands (Island In the Sky District) and Capitol Reef will keep you very busy in a week. If you find you have time, then by all means drive down to Bryce and Zion via scenic Hwy 12.

Utahtea