Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving time from Mesa Verde NP to Bryce Canyon NP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Rachel S.

Hi all,

I'm looking for the approximate driving time from Mesa Verde NP, CO to either Bryce Canyon NP or Zion NP (2 hours further from Bryce, right?).

Thanks,
Rachel

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Bob Brown

It is about 400 miles between the gates of the two parks. Driving time, I estimate 2 to 3 days because you will be stopping so much to see Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, and other scenery along the way.
If you ignore the good stuff and drive with singleness of purpose, then I think your could make it in 8 - 9 hours total time unless you take a looong lunch break.
There are not many people between you and it once you leave Cortez.
I would need 3 days myself because I know what is in between the two parks, and where I would stop.
Of course, it depends on which way you go.
If you stop and take Capitol Reef, Zion becomes secondary. It is the same rock formations, only better.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:14 PM
rqf

There is lots to see on the way from Mesa Verde to Bryce. From MV head to MoAB -120 miles and a 2 1/2 hour drive. If possible, you should spend a day or two visiting Arches and the Canyonlands. It is 285 miles from Moab to Bryce. A very scenic drive that takes you through Capitol Reef NP. Drive will take the better part of a day if you decide to see a little of Capitol Reef. Zion is less than 100 miles from Bryce.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Rachel

Just wanted to belatedly say thanks to Bob and rqf for your advice. This is part of a larger road trip which I am still planning. I had typed up a long response to both of you asking more questions but my pc locked up and I had to reboot. Didn't feel like typing it all over again, so perhaps I will ask again soon. Thanks again!