arizona and utah 14 night circle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finalizing itinerary that was planned and booked months ago...any suggestions or changes?

night one- Vegas
nights 2,3 Zion
nights 4,5 Bryce
nights 5,6 Torrey/Capitol Reef
nights 7,8 Moab
nights 9,10 Page
nights 11, 12 Grand Canyon South Rim
night 13 Vegas

Mostly interested in easy hikes/scenic drives.
I have a few questions/concerns:
-Should we plan on spending most of day doing scenic drive on hway 12 between Bryce and Torrey?
-Booked Hell's Revenge jeep tour in Moab yet was wondering if it is worth it since it will limit time to do both Arches and Canyonlands.
- Booked mid-day Monument Valley tour driving from Moab to Page. We figured on needing 3 hours from Moab to MV and 21/2 from MV to Page. Does that sound right?

Any advice, suggestions? Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 06:52 AM

Highway 12 - absolutely a must. Stop at the coffee shop just before Escalante River as the road slopes down. Guessing about 15 miles from town of Escalante on the right side of the road.

Hells Revenge - If you have problems with heights - don't go. You can also rent a 4-WD. Maybe cheaper, but you really should have some experience with 4-WD driving

Grand Canyon - North Rim has significantly less annoying tourist and, therefore, more pleasant.

Suggest visiting Wupatki park north of Flagstaff. Google it. Ancient Indian ruins

vaga
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Others may have different opinions. Of the places you are visiting, Bryce, Zion, Moab/Arches, Capitol Reef I would drop Capitol Reef and add time to Arches.

Of all the places in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah Grand Canyon is my least favorite. But I would never tell somebody they should skip it if it's their first time. But it just doesn't compare to the others.

Bryce and Zion are very different. Bryce is at the top looking down and Zion is at the bottom looking up. Bryce is 4,000 ft higher in elevation so much cooler.

Things I would make sure to do.

Zion. Angel's Landing hike until Scouts lookout.
Bryce. Very early morning sunrise at Bryce Point. Hike down Navajo Look and back up Queens Garden.

Just after leaving Bryce on the way east stop at Cannonvile Visitors Center and get instruction to Willis Creek. This is a real slot canyon that is easy to walk. The drive there though is an adventure.

Two more stops on the way to Capitol Reef from Bryce. Devil's Garden Escalente. Just wander around in the rock formations. Hike Lower Calf Creek Falls to wee a beautiful waterfall. However, this is a level 2.5 mile hike each way.

Between Capitol Reef and Moab. Goblin Valley State Park. I describe this as a Jr Devil's Garden.

All of the above are worth the time and effort.

Moab. We took a half day raft ride on the Colorado. Just the right amount of time.

Hike to Delicate Arch in time for sunset. Take a flashlight in case it's dark on the way back.

Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike.

You can look them up but there are several short, easy hikes to various arches.

You can see my photos of trips to this area at: www.travelwalks.com
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Vaga and Meyer,

Great suggestions! Already had the coffee house and Devil's Garden as stops from Bryce to Capitol Reef. We are thinking that would take up most of our day from Bryce to Capitol Reef. Since we wanted to spend at least 2 nights at every stop we are sorry we didn't add a 3rd night to Moab so we would have more time there. Would it be feasible to see Capitol Reef and Goblin the day before we drive to Moab? We were thinking the drive from Torrey to Moab would be about 3 hours the next day. Could possibly see some of Arches before our sunset jeep tour. Just so much to see that we already are thinking about our next trip out there.

North Rim will be closed by the time we would have gotten there.

Thanks so much for all your insights and suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Don't shortchange Capitol Reef. It has some nice hikes. We love it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 03:03 AM

I also would keep your 2 nights in Capitol Reef. We love it there and it will allow you to enjoy the route from Bryce. I do agree that an extra night in Moab would be preferable. I also know you want to stay 2 nights at every place but I think I would take one from Bryce and one from the Grand Canyon. I am saying that and Bryce is one of my favorite places in the world! If it was my trip (and it's not!) I would add an extra night to Zion, an extra night to Moab and have just 1 night at the Grand Canyon and Bryce.
Have you booked your lodging?
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 05:49 PM

Bookmarking
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 05:18 AM

When are you planning this trip? Between October and May icy/snowy conditions might change your plans.

I agree that unless you hike a lot, one night in Grand Canyon (which I love), is enough and I would add a day to Moab.

As has been mentioned, since you want to stay in/near the parks you need to get lodging sen asap. If you want in the parks and they say they are full, make a reservation that can be cancelled nearby and keep calling as people make reservations way ahead and then cancel when they find they can't make the trip.