Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

colony at longboat key - crazy to go in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a great place and is affordable in August. Would it be crazy to go then?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:57 AM
GoTravel

As long as you stay on the water you will get nice breezes.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Where do you live? If it is hot and humid where you live anyway, then it can only be better at the beach! It will feel just fine by the water. Also, know that there are often short thunderstorms in the afternoons at this time of year. We went to the beach last summer and enjoyed it very much. Less crowded in August too!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

We live in AZ. Brutally hot in August but humidity pretty low. Wondering if it would be uncomfortable to sit out on the beach (in the shade). Don't mind thunderstorms; just don't want it to be so miserable out that we don't want to venture out of the air conditioned room (which is how it is in Phx in August).
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:51 PM

I've stayed there in July and it's wonderful even then. Go!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:10 PM

In my opinion, you can enjoy the beach for a couple of hours in the morning. Have a nice lunch, do something in air-conditioning through the afternoon. Maybe even do a late afternoon beach stop again. Then enjoy dinner in the evening. Just don't think of sitting on the beach from noon to four -- shade or not.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:01 AM
LN

Hi
The Colony Beach Resort is very upscale, has a big tennis crowd following, and is on one of the loveliest beaches around (I'm prejudiced toward Longboat) We're in and out of the island in the summer and it can be lovely with great breezes and it can be horribly hot. Most residents leave for that part of the summer. We've been jet skiing on the gulf with nary a soul to be seen and it's the same on beach walks (which, at that time of year, are limited to mornings or evenings).

If you'd like to come down at a nicer time of year - say April or May - there are great places to stay at that are not super expensive like Colony. If you'd like to look into that I'll give you some ideas.

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

We have plans to go to Cape Cod in August and think we'll stick to those. I'd be willing to chance horribly hot and humid weather but my husband isn't. But definitely want to go to Longboat Key another time of year.
LN-would welcome your suggestions of alternative places to stay at another time of year.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Should have added, I know we might get hot and humid weather on the Cape but think it's less likely than in FL.