Zihuatenejo in August? Bad Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of a trip to Zihua or Ixtapa in August (with school and work schedules the only time we can vacation)...
We don't want to do much, just beach, eat, relax, but wondering if it will just be too sweltering there for real enjoyment.
We've been to PV in August, and while it was really humid, we still enjoyed ourselves, and have had good luck w/ Cancun in August, too.
Is Zihua a lot more rainy/humid than PV?
Many thanks for any advice!
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM

No reason not to go there in August.

When I was there over Christmas,one day it was 97 F.!!!
If you are laying in the sun and shade it makes no difference .

So enjoy the beach, eat ,relax and get a lovely tan.

jmvp

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I humbly disagree. We are Mexico lovers and have gone to practically every beach at every time of year (also lived in Cuernavaca for two years). Our one unbearable visit was an August trip to Zihua - super high humidity, too hot to walk around, no relief.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

hmmm, this is a tough one, I want to go badly, but don't want to blow our short vacation time! ...crosscheck, have you been to PV in August, or Cancun, or similar? Could you compare? Gracias!
Thank you two so much for your input.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I've been to Zihua twice in at the end of August and it was hot, though not at all unbearable to me. I was living in Texas though so I was probably biased. I don't remember the humidity being awful either.

I can't compare locales for August but Cabo in June was the one trip that I found unbearably hot & humid.

If you've been to Cancun and PV in August, you probably have realistic expectations and I would say go for it. Just make sure your hotel has A/C.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

thanks, kwil. Appreciate your input.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Haven't been to PV in August, but I imagine the weather would be very similar to Zihuatanejo.

Have been to Akumal, Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres in August (all near Cancun) and they were not nearly as hot or humid as Zihua, but they can be quite rainy, especially closer to hurricane season in September.

Just spoke to a friend who was in Troncones (near Zihua) last August and said it was "extremely hot, but not unbearable."
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Check out wunderground.com and you can compare. I just looked at August of 2006 for Zihua, Cancun, and PV and the temp averages and humidity were almost exactly the same (with the average temps in Cancun being a few (1-2) degrees higher.) You can get a calendar or listing of daily temps, humidity, etc.

Obviously, you can end up with a heatwave anywhere but I don't see why it would be any more likely in Zihua. I have certainly never heard of it as known for being hotter/more humid than other beach destinations. We're headed there in 2 weeks and I would go back in August in a heartbeat.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Summer time is only 5 degrees or so higher than then the winter BUT much higher humidity. Also rains, storms & even Hurricanes are possible that time of the year. Now it may only be an occasional night time or late PM shower. Be sure & book a unit with AC, bring some indoor entertainment & bet your money.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, very much. Just booked the airline tickets, so we'll keep our finger crossed for no heat wave and not much rain!
We're thinking about staying at Club Intrawest...any comments?
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Club Intrawest is lovely, but there are probably places with more of a Mexican "feel" for less money. Check www.zihuatanejo.com for the best info on the area.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm late joining the discussion but can't imagine that Zijuat is all that different from PV in August. They are fairly close, right along the west coast to each other.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
frankie, lo siento.. that sounds dumb above. Obviously you know where Zijuat is located! but you get my point. ~suze
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice above. Suze, will let you know how Zihua compares to PV!
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM

The absolute best web site for Zihua is www.zihuatanejo.net NOT .com. .com is dominated by one travel agent who is out to sell her services along with about 4 of her friends. .net gets 20 posts for everyone at .com. Check out both & you will see what I mean.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM

"I'm late joining the discussion but can't imagine that Zihua is all that different from PV in August. They are fairly close, right along the west coast to each other."

Actually My friend FYI they are about 470 miles apart, which is why Zihua is warmer in the winter months (about 8 degrees on average) but you are correct in that the summer temperature about the same. Zihua is only about 5 degrees warmer in the summer but much more humid than the winter months.