College visit trip---Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband will be taking DD on a spring break trip to visit colleges around New England that are on her "list". They have everything planned except for the drive up to visit Bowdoin. He is wondering if there is a place along the Maine coast south of Brunswick that would be worth an overnight stop. I think he is picturing a charming town or village, with a nice hotel and a good place to eat dinner.

Any recommendations? Or should they plan on staying in Brunswick instead? Any recommendations there?

This will be during the first week of April.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Where will they be driving from? Brunswick is a nice town and if they're not coming from too far away, would be perfectly fine to stay in.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I can't remember where they will be visiting before that---maybe Middlebury.

He said the drive to Brunswick would be no more than 3 hours if they went the full distance. I think he's just wondering if there is someplace on the coast that is so picturesque it would be worth a stop instead of continuing on to Brunswick.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I could be off, but it seems they'll be coming from the wrong direction for a different stop along the southern coast to make sense time-wise. I think they'd only be extending the time in the car.

Anyway, Kennebunkport is very picturesque, it's about an hour or so south of Brunswick.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Ah, then maybe they are coming from further south and going to Middlebury afterward. I don't have a map in front of me and have never been to that area myself!

He definitely said they would be heading up the coast from New Hampshire---I think on I-95 and I-295---and could stop along the coast south of Brunswick if it would be worthwhile.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Brunswick is a pretty college town and it is minutes from the coast. The coast is ragged in that area though and I'm not sure what pretty places are available for lodging actually on the coast. In any case, there is no real direct route between Middlebury and Brunswick. Most folks would go south in VT then east then north on 95. If you get off 95 there are plenty of pretty places to stay all along the coast - York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth Foreside, etc. Do check because depending on the time they are going many places along the coast will not be open until close to memorial day. If time is not an issue, you could just head west through the White Mts. iand around Lake Winnipesaukee n NH and do some hiking but you would need a good map and would have to keep an eye out for the weather to avoid snowy hills and moose. After all that Brunswick would be my pick.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. It sounds like Brunswick would be the best choice, especially if it is a nice college town.

We're west-coasters and although she's been to Europe three times, but the only time spent on the East Coast has been a few days at the US Open 2 years ago. She's put a number of colleges in and around New England states at the top of her list, so DH wants to be sure she gets a good feel for the surrounding areas so she'll have some basis for deciding when the time comes.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Brunswick looks like a typical New England town should. There are several B&B's and Inns. The college will recommend several, and any that they recommend will be fine. Many places to eat at all prices.

Early in the morning, dad and daughter need to get in the car, stop at Dunkin Donuts for coffee, and drive out to the end of South Harpswell. If they are early enough, they will see deer and enough little coastal villages for a lifetime of memories. Then they can come back and have breakfast. On the right day, it is truly magical.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

That sounds wonderful, Ackislander. I'll be sure and pass on that suggestion---but they would prefer a Noah's Bagels to Dunkin' Donuts. Any chance?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM

Brunswick will be in tough competition with Middlebury. Middlebury seems an ideal college town - artsy, fun shops, beautiful area. I've only visited Brunswick for a very short amount of time in summer (great farmers market). South Harpswell is lovely and rural but I wonder if it will appeal to a college kid? My niece went to college near Portland so Portland was the favorite shopping mecca. I'm probably guilty of stereotyping college kids but maybe it would be a good idea to get a glimpse of Portland as well as South Harpswell.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM

I've never heard of Noah's bagels in New England. But Dunkin sells bagels. Also look out for Brueggers and Panera for your bagel needs.