Coconut Grove to Ft Lauderdale

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coconut Grove to Ft Lauderdale

I am coming from the UK to Miami in March - going to spend 4 days in Coconut Grove and then 4 in Ft Lauderdale. We will hire a car to get between the two places. Is there car hire companies in CG who will deliver a car to your hotel and then let you drop it off at the airport? How much for 4 days - with all insurances, tax, etc. How far is it from Coconut Grove to Ft Lauderdale?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Welcome to Florida. I'm not real sure if they will bring a car to you, but there are numerous car rental agencies in the Coral Gables/Coconut Grove area and yes you can get a car there and drop off at Ft. Lauderdale airport. I just brought up Avis and found a location on South Dixie, not too far away, and got an intermediate car for $34 a day total with no drop off fee. Car rentals are cheap in Florida except for the extra insurances. Have you checked what your insurance or credit card will cover and see if you can decline the CDW?

It should take you about an hour to get to Ft. Lauderdale, but I'd suggest you not go during rush hour of the morning. Wait until maybe 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning. I-95 can come to a standstill in the morning (think M-4 at 9 AM).
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM
GoTravel

I-95 spends most of its time being a parking lot. I suggest staying off I-95 at all times.

Unless you are driving in the middle of the night, there really isn't a quick way to do this.

My suggestion would be to take McCarther Causeway to Miami Beach (South Beach) and take A1A/Collins all the way to Ft. Lauderdale.

Take your time. If you feel like it, stop and jump in the ocean! There are some beautiful parks along the way.

Haulover Beach, has a nude section which could be interesting.

As Patrick said, it should take you around an hour for Ft. Lauderdale and a little longer for Lauderdale-By-The-Sea.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Well, GoTravel does offer a "scenic" option for the drive. But scratch my suggestion of an hour, if you go that way. Make it about 3 hours, not including stops. During season which is starting now, that route is one heck of a lot of sllllloooooowwwww traffic and tons of stop lights. But I'll admit it's much more scenic than I-95.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:17 AM
GoTravel

Is it really that long Patrick? I was thinking 30 minutes to Sunny Isles and then another 30 through Hallendale, Hollywood, and the Cruise ship port into Ft. Lauderdale?

I never pay attention to how long it takes but it is an interesting drive.

Andy, note the differences between the comfortable, smart-with-their-money, well off, wealthy, rich, and more money than God neighborhoods along the way.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:43 AM

to AndyC--

Enterprise will come to your hotel and pick you up and bring you to their rental office..( Someone has to drive your "driver" back to the main rental office)..No one has hotel rental sites with cars right there...

But enterprise is the closest to what you are looking for..

You may want to CALL on the 800 number for enterprise telling them which hotel you will be staying at and ask if there is a charge- normally there is not..and you need to tell them you want a ONE WAY DROP with NO DROP Fee to the FT.Lauderdale airport...

Here is their website:

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Are you sure about all of that, andy? I am unable to find how to do a pick up and drop off at different points on the Enterprise web site. I recently called them about such a thing for California when I couldn't do it on the website and was told I couldn't pick up at SFO and drop off at LAX, which I found amazing.

Also "no drop fee" doesn't necessarily mean much. I found that true of a number of places when I wanted to rent in California and drop off in Oregon. There was no drop off fee, but the daily rate for the entire rental was double what it would be if I returned the car back in California. They don't call that a fee, but I DO!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Patrick- In FLA , it is different concerning the drop fee, as you are still within the SAME state....

As for pick up, Yes, they do it..My girlfriend rented a car from Enterprise in Boca ( she was staying at my home) and dropped it off at West Palm Beach Airport..NO drop fee, and yes, they did pick her up from condo..All she had to do was drop the driver back off to the Enterprise shop in downtown Boca...

AndyC would have to CALL Enterprise to arrange this..I do NOT think this can be done from a website...My friend called them directly and LOCALLY..SO
when ANDYC calls the 800 Enterprise Number,he/she should ask for the LOCAL MIAMI Enterprise Number Closest to COCONUT GROVE, then CALL that number and set up the rental...

Happy to help!

As for driving time, I normally take A1A ( Ocean Drive) from Boca to Ft Lauderdale-- and it takes me 1/2 hr on A1A..this is a heads up on travel time...and this is dinner hour 5pm--
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:52 AM

OK.

An interesting example of the "no drop fee". Just priced picking a car up at San Francisco airport for three days. If we drop it off downtown there is "NO DROP FEE". But the price for the three days is $257.82. If we return it to the airport the total price is $ 90.90. Quite a difference, and again, they may not call that a fee, but I DO!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:30 AM

AndyC,I have a few questions for you.

1) Will you want to have use of the car in Ft. Lauderdale? If yes, keep the car the entire 4-day trip. However, you'll probably have to pay to park the car if you are staying at a nice hotel.

2) Will you need the car to get back to Miami Airport for the return flight? If yes, keep the car for the return trip.

3) Do you want to get to Ft. Lauderdale quickly or take your time? If you want to take your time, take the A1A route. If you want to arrive quickly, take I-95 at OFF-PEAK hours.

Finally, I live in Fort Lauderdale and will help you if you have any questions. You may e-mail me at [email protected]

PS: Where will you be staying in Ft. Lauderdale?