Clubs in New York

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubs in New York

Me again! I was told that some clubs in New York (Bungalow8, Butter, etc) you have to pay an entrance fee. Sometimes a bottle of $360 Vodka. Are most of the popular clubs like this? Is it easy at all to get in one of these? If not, can you tell me some other clubs to go dancing? There is 3 of us, ages 27-35. I went to citybuzz.com and looked at a few bars/nightclubs but I am not sure how strict they are on their guest lists.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:56 AM

Trendy clubs all have entrance fees. Assume drinks are at least $15 each. You don't need to buy a bottle to get in - but you do have to if you want to sit at a table. Otherwise you're just standing/dancing. Depending on what you buy bottles are usually at least $250.

A separate issue is if you can get into the club at all. Trendy ones have very strict doorkeepers - and unless you're on the list you need to wait on line and hope that you're picked. It's easiest to get in for pairs of women, then couples. Hardest for a couple of guys. To be picked you need to be as beautiful as possible, and dressed in the style of the moment - and at least look expensive (if you really are it's better). Donot offer cash to the door keeper - they will usually throw you off the line. If it's a busy night perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 of those on line eventually get in - and if you don;t look right they will never let you in.

Friday and Saturday nights are slowest/least celebs - Sunday and Thursday are best. (Usually you only see celebs on the way to VIP rooms anyway.)

Your best stratey is to get there early - before 11pm - when they're quite empty - and stay until it gets crowded.

If you're willing to go to a more casuale club it's much easier to get in, many don't have bottle/table fees every night etc.

Check out TimeOut New York web site for info on a lot of them. (If you see the club listed in the tabloids as some place Paris/Lindsay turn up assume the first set of rules applies).
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:53 AM

You don't say whether you are ladies or gentleman - it matters. A group of three guys will have a harder time getting into a club than three girls. You won't be able to get into Bungalow 8. If you want to go to Butter, one strategy is to eat dinner there relatively late and then move to the club.

We went to a newish lounge this weekend in the Meatpacking District called Honey. It caters to the mid 20s and up crowd, so you may have a good time there. It's not as chaotic as some of the other clubs, but still a blast.

If you do decide to get bottle service at a club, you'll be able to get in much more easily. Also, given how expensive drinks are and how annoying it can be to stand in a packed club, it's sometimes just worth it to spring for a bottle.

Definitely use www.sheckys.com as your main source for club/bar/lounge reviews. I've never hear of citybuzz.com, and I don't think many use it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

Most all clubs have high covers unless you're "on the list" ... but that's only one issue. Some clubs, like Bungalow 8, simply will not let you in, period. (Unless you're a celebrity or know Ms. Sacco personally, don't even bother showing up at Bungalow unless you enjoy humiliation.)

(Several other clubs will give you the same treatment, unfortunately. If the bouncer says 'private party,' there isn't one.)

Once inside, only a few clubs require bottle service. With most it's only required if you want to sit down at a table.

Check out www.sheckys.com for ideas as well as Time Out New York.

Finally, Friday & Saturday nights are "amateur nights" with long lines & high covers. If you can go out on Monday or Tuesday, you'll get better treatment and have much more fun.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM

I have never been to Bunghole 8, but I have been to another of Amy Sacco's clubs, Lot 66. You will never get in to this club unless you are known or with a celebrity. By the way, I was bored to tears at Lot 66.

You want a fun, high-energy place, like Avalon on 20th St. (I hope it is still open. My ex-husband, a famous DJ in Lisbon was a guest DJ here.)

Another friend of mine, Christina, an editor at French Vogue told me that she had a fun time at Pink Elephant, although lots of college students from NYU.

I lived in Manhattan during the heyday of the great clubs--Sound Factory, Cave Canem, Roxy, Mother, Jackie 60. Alas, those days are over.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:11 AM

Lot 61 (not 66) has been closed for a while, so that's not even an option.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM

Lot 61 is indeed closed.

Generally, if "anyone" can get in, you probably don't want to be there.

(When venues lose their exclusive status they tend to either close down or become corporate locations, like Eugene for example.)
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
GoTravel

Bottle service is usually only if you want to sit down. Most tables have one bottle minimums and bottles usually start around $300.

Like lizzie said, sometimes it is worth it just to have a place to sit.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

As anyone heard of Suede? Any reviews? We are 2 females and 1 guy, for all those that asked. Who would have thought getting into a club had so many stipulations! I just walk right in here in Seattle. Sad to see you are judged by the way you look as well. Of course, we are all beautiful so no problems there. *smile*
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

At the most exclusive clubs (like Bungalow), looking incredible isn't enough. It's who you are or who you know.

Shecky's is generally very accurate ... did you read its review of Suede?

www.sheckys.com

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM

There are plenty of fun bars and lounges in NYC that aren't as exclusive or obnoxious as places like Bungalow. Butter, Honey, Sway are also lots of fun, just not as over-exposed and exclusive as places like Bungalow. Look on Shecky's - great recommendations, and you can sort based on a lot of different criteria.