New York City Cabaret

Dec 5th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

New York City Cabaret

My husband and I are making last-minute plans to visit Manahttan the weekend before Christmas. I really want to see a cabaret while we are there, and am looking for any words of advice (best shows, best deals, late night vs. dinner show, etc). I am thinking of Andrea Marcovicci at the Oak Room (they still have openings at the late show - good pick? McLaurie - I saw your comment a few posts down about cabarets - any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!!
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:59 PM

You've put me on the spot. I love the Algonquin, I love the room...I'm not a big Andrea M fan. She's evidently doing a tribute to Fred Astaire (who I do adore) but there's also an Astaire tribute at Birdland, just down the block. Tickets to that are only $40 and $35 with a discount from theatermania. (The John Pizarelli trio is also playing at Birdland that weekend and he's great too.)

If you'll be there on Sunday, Barbara Carroll plays at the Algonquin then and she's just fantastic.

Michael Feinstein is playing at his own place (Feinstein's) at the Regency Hotel. He's not everyone's cup of tea but I like him a lot. Finally, Bobby Short has announced (at age 79) this will be his last year at the Carlyle. He is definitely an acquired taste, but one I acquired early on.
Dec 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We're leaving Sunday afternoon; we have Friday and Saturday night in town. Is Birdland a theatre? I've always been intrigued by the ads in the NYT for cabarets, they always sound so glamorous and sophisticated. I've never heard any of these singers so I really don't know what to expect - kind of embarrassing but Andrea M played a ballerina in a soap opera long ago, when I was into ballet in a big way, and that's why I picked her. Plus the Astaire angle and of course a chance to see the Algonquin!

What kind of music does Michael Feinstein do? The Regency would be pretty exciting to see as well.
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Birdland is a very good jazz venue. Have a look here
birdlandjazz.com

Michael Feinstein is an accomplished pianist and musicologist who befriended Ira Gershwin before he died and was his assistant. Read more about him here.
http://www.michaelfeinstein.com/biography.html

If you like Andrea, by all means go to that. The Algonquin is certainly worth seeing. If money is no object, go to both the Algonquin and the Regency.

To me, Bobby Short at the Carlyle is one of the most New Yorky things to do, but if you don't know who he is it might not be your thing and it's very pricey. Hope you have fun.
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Seeing Bobby Short at the Carlyle is the quintessential New York City experience. Truly a wonderful evening, especially if you like Cole Porter / Geo. & Ira Gershwin-type music, which I adore. Had a decent dinner prior to the show, excellent service. Love the room, very intimate. Neighborhood great for window shopping at night.
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Every year there is an award to Cabaret here in the city and the last 2 YEARS the winner was Karen Mack. (Ok so she happens to be a friend, but she really is terrific).

Karen Mack and Michael Holland are a terrific show all by themselves everyweekend at Mama Rose (2nd Ave between 14th and 13th St second floor of a converted brownstone. There's not usually much of a cover and you can buy drinks there. The "room" is nicely/New Yorky and holiday attired and the show is terrific.

You might try www.karenmack.com for more info.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

What a wealth of options! I checked out the web sites mentioned and ended up sticking with Andrea M. I googled the performers and did find a nice NPR story on Bobby Short that I could listen to over the net. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:13 AM

I've seen both Michael Feinsien and Andrea Marcovicci many times and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Andrea M. is an extraordinary singer. She has a way with a familiar lyric that makes me feel as if I've never heard it before. Her show would have to be my recommendation if you have to choose just one.
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:58 AM

There are two other wonderful venues downtown. Joe's Pub at the Public Theater, and the Duplex in Greenwich Village. They both have websites. I think they are www.joespub.com and www.theduplex.com