Cleveland Little Italy Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting my college son in Cleveland this weekend and he seems to think that there is a section of town known as "Little Italy". Any restaurant suggestions for a place to take a bunch of college kids? Nice but not "fine dining"?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Does your son attend Case-Western by any chance?

There is indeed a "Little Italy" in Cleveland. It is south of Euclid along Mayfield and adjoining streets. For breakfast or lunch Presti's Bakery on Mayfield is wonderful. For a little more upscale dinner choice, Guarino's is a good choice, also on Mayfield.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

He attends John Carroll University. We're looking for a dinner spot. Is the restaurant you're suggesting upscale, as in not the place to take a bunch of 19 year olds? We're looking for good food, fun atmosphere but not fine dining. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Sorry I can't help with specifics. I was in Cleveland for a wedding back in the early 90's, maybe '92 or '93. We did the Rock-n-Roll, downtown, the flats, etc.

On Sunday we went to see "Marilyn + Elvis 2 x Immortal" at the excellent art museum. Lunch was in Little Italy.

We plopped into this little hole-in-the-wall bar where the bartender/waiter kept saying, "we sold out of that last night." Frustrated we finally asked, "What do you have?!"

"Grandma food," was his response.

I ended up with the absolute best chicken parmesan sandwich I have ever had in my life. Grandma food? My Grandma (paternal) couldn't cook her way out of a wet paper bag. This was incredible!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Guarino's should be fine for a dinner with college students. John Carroll is a great school.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Guarino's is not too upscale or expensive and they have great food. I used to work at Case Western and ate there about twice a month. However, a local collegiate favorite around there is an old timey pizza place called Mama Santa's. Very affordable and delicious pizzas and a total throw back to when pizza shops were ran by Mom & Pop and not Dominoes, Donatos, etc.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:46 AM
syd

I'd suggest Mama Santa's. It's a casual, Italian restaurant, good food, very popular. Guarino's is a nicer atmosphere, but I personally prefer Mama Santa's.

If you like mexican food. Check out Mi Pueblo on Euclid Ave, not far from Little Italy. Good food and more offerings than your typical Mexican chain type restaurant.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. We'll probably take a look around at both Guarino's and Mama Santa's and then decide where to eat. Both sound like possibilites.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Another vote for Mama Santa's. One cautionary note about Little Italy, though, I've had several Indian friends who have had problems with being served in restaurants there. They all knew it would happen and were fine with it, but just something to keep in mind if you're going to have anyone of color in your group.