Search

Restaurant Little Italy or Greenwich Village please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant Little Italy or Greenwich Village please

Dear New Yorkers,
Could you please give me a few of your favorite restaurants in Little Italy, Greenwich Village or Soho preferably, Italian or French? Thank you, thank you.
Sincerely,
Cinzia
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:00 AM

Wow, that's a large area with zillions of amazing restaurant options.

On Mulberry Street (Little Italy), my favorites are Da Nico for dinner and Il Fornaio for lunch. Everyone has an opinion on the best Mulberry Street options, but I've tried 'em all and like those two.

Be aware that the food in Little Italy is "good," but you can get much better Italian elsewhere in the city.

From Hudson to Alphabet City, there are literally hundreds of great restaurants in the Village. What part will you be in? Personally, I think you get more for your money in the East Village at places like Frank (Italian) and Esperanto (Latin). For incredible pizza, you can't beat Mario Batali's Otto.

My advice is to search this forum -- NY restaurants is a very common topic -- as well as Citysearch, Zagat's, and even Shecky's for ideas and reviews.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:18 AM

I like Cipriani's Downtown. Excellent food and ambiance. Ambiance is urban, bustling and warm. Food is classic rather than avant garde.

I also love Provence. Lovely French bistro cuisine in wonderfully romantic setting. Not elegant but casual. on McDougal.

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:11 AM

I'm not a big fan of Little Italy as most of the restaurants are average at best and survive on one off tourist customers.

That said, Umbertos at 178 Mulberry at the corner of Broome is my favorite on the strip.

IMO, if you're in the area you're better off having a good chinese meal instead.

In the Village, my current favorite Italian is Ennio and Michael's at 539 Laguardia Place. It's just north of Houston Street - Excellent!!!

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:23 AM

To each his own but I loved Mulberry street. My favorite is Cafe Napoli. I thought the food and service were great and better by far then the famed Carmines which I thought was just plain bad.
Have fun
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Years ago (when I traveled to NYC more often) I used to go to a postage-stamp sized French joint in the Village (West Village as I recall) called Chez Ma Tante. Is it still around? It served solid French cuisine, had a good wine list, and had a touch of class despite the bum singing for change by the outside tables. I imagine there won't be sidewalk seating this weekend....
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:27 AM

My favorite Village Italians are Gonzo on 13th St (grilled pizza that melts i your moth and other great food, without the attitude and crowds at Ott's), also Osteria del Gallo Nero on Bleecker St (very cozy, great food). In the E. VIllage I coppi (much of the food is cooked in the brick oven) and East Post (very reasonable and good). Lower E. Side, Basso Est and Apizz, in Tribeca, Giginos.

For French there always Balthazar in Soho (if you can get a reservation), and Provence. I think Chez Ma Tante is gone, and another restaurant took over the space. There's another place right next to it that is also good (but I can't think of the name). Cafe Loup in the Village, on 13th St, is always pleasant and reliable.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM

excuse my typos, 'i your moth' should say 'in your mouth'
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Cinzia, the sad truth is that Little Italy doesn't really exist any more. It's all been swallowed up by Chinatown and the handful of restaurants that still survive do so (as sillybalkan notes) strictly on the tourist trade.

Stick with the Village, consult the terrific compilation of restaurant reviews that are available at the New York Times web site, and go with your instincts.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM

My FAVORITE Italian restaurant is in Grennwich Village--actually the East Village , I believe...

It is called PO and is Mario Batali's First restaurant ( which he later sold) before he got started on the FOOD NETWORK- ie Mario does Italy...
IT is AWESOME, very tiny ( 20 tables) and inexpensive for 2-- $40 soup to nuts ( No alcohol)..which in NY is a bargain..and the food was to die for!!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Message: Cinzia, the sad truth is that Little Italy doesn't really exist any more. It's all been swallowed up by Chinatown and the handful of restaurants that still survive do so (as sillybalkan notes) strictly on the tourist trade.

what a crock! while chinatown may have expanded a bit, even new Italian restaurants are opening in the area. little Italy is very much alive and is jammed with locals (well at least from all over the 5 bouroughs).
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM

My favorite Italian in the West Village is Grano Trattoria. Solid authentic Italian food at a resonable price. The boars meat sausage is delicious.

Chez Ma Tante is recently closed and a new, mediocre restaurant called the West 10th Street Eatery has replaced it. La Metairie is the place next door. I agree with Cafe Loup - very reliable.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas and input. I have been to Gonzo and thought that it was quite wonderful. However, it seems that all of the restaurant guides I access primarily talk only about the famous and pricey. I wanted a local's perspective. Thanks again.
Cinzia
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 08:47 PM

My favorite Italian place in Little Italy is IL Cortile on Mulberry Street. Everytime I go there the food and service are excellent.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Po is actually in the West (not East) Village, on COrnelia St. Palma, across from Po is also good. Lupa, another Batali place is also good if you can get in.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:38 AM

check chowhound.com for more 'local' opinions.