Search

Cirque du Soleil - Varekai Comments?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:46 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cirque du Soleil - Varekai Comments?

Hi there. Cirque du Soleil will be traveling to Dallas and performing Varekai. Would like your comments on Varekai.

I've seen Alegria, Quidam, & Mystere before, and I'm wondering how Varekai measures up.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM
SEW

I liked Varekai very much. Then again, I leave each Cirque performance with a sensory overload. Varekai had a couple of acts which were very unique, one of which was the body skaters. Looked like a lot of fun.

I thought the colors used in Varekai were amazing. Very bright. As usual, great staging, even with a show that travels.

I liked it better than Alegria, but not as much as Mystere. But then again, I like each for its own unique identity.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Just saw Alegria in Philadlephia-it was good but Varekai is GREAT!!! Don't hesitate. Have seen "O" as well. That was such a wonderful and huge show. Go see Varekai--it is worth it!! I did find that buying your tickets early doesn't always pay. We bought tix for Alegria early. One week before our show date--I thought of adding some family to the evening. As you know they try to seel the VIP packages, and when they don't sell well for the 190+$$ they start releasing the seats at the normal rate of the seats. We ended up with 2 center -8th row!! it's a bit of a gamble to wait but worth it!!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Any thoughts about the advisability of taking an almost 2-year-old and a 3 1/2-year-old to Varekai? They are well-behaved enough to sit through the performance (at least they can sit through a movie, and they behave at church). I just wondered whether or not this version would be interesting for a child that young. (I have only seen Mystere.) I am planning to take my daughters, and the older one would like to take her kids, which is fine with me, unless I get several advisories against it. (P.S. -- About how long is the performance?)

Donna
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM

I just bought tickets this morning to one of the performances of Varekai in Dallas. We were pleased to get seats on the aisle, leading from one of the side doors. I was wondering if anybody knows if the performers pick individuals out of the audience to take on stage. (I remember they did this at Mystere.) If so, do they always pick from the same seating area? Is selection for audience participation random, or pre-planned?

Donna
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Of the 4 cirque shows we've seen, Varekai was our absolute favorite (have not see "O"). In fact, we loved Varekai so much, we saw it in San Jose & then went to So. Calif. to see it again.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM

I just attended a performance in Washington, DC last night.

There is one segment with a "magician" in which one person is picked out of the audience and brough on-stage.

Unlike some other C d S shows this person was obviously NOT an actual member of the cast who was "planted" for this segment. It was an adult BTW..a child would not have been able to cooperate fully.

As to how this show "measures up"...it is the usual Cirque fantasy-oriented performance...the "acrobatic" acts are the usual high-energy/spectacular stuff.

You cannot go wrong with it...children might actually be fascinated by the costumes and movement...after all, how many people really worry about "understanding" to so-called storyline...it is as much about spectacle as it is anything else.

Don't suppose you were able to book "Tapis Rouge" tickets were you...last night that involved pre-show goodies and free drinks, intermission desserts and free drinks, and a free CD.

I think you'll love the show. Let others obsess over what it means...just go and enjoy it.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 07:41 AM
RBC

I've seen O, Mystere, Zumanity, Saltimbanco, and Varekai. In my opinion the American touring shows are not as professional as the Vegas or European shows. I enjoyed Varekai but there were several gaffes in the performance.

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM

...I thought Varekai was one of the more whimsical, colorful of the Cirques...very upbeat, and childlike (as fare as characters, etc) IMO...I thought it was excellent though, great stunts and very funny...I enjoyed it very much...With a touring show though the stage is limited and it is much more "circus" like...Have fun !
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
yk
Original Poster

Here's an update:

We went to see Varekai last night. I enjoyed it, but the acts didn't have as much of a "WOW" factor compared to the other Cirque du Soleil shows I've seen before. The positive side was that the Varekai acts are "new" to me (the other shows I saw all seemed to be variations on the same theme).

I didn't like the music as much as the other C du S shows I have been to.

It was my BF's first Cirque du Soleil show and he enjoyed it very much, but I personally didn't think it was worth the $80 ticket.

Thanks for all your input though!