Christmas Ornaments on Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha--guess I better get used to using that.
Quite a few years ago, my parents visited Hawaii and brought back a Christmas ornament for our tree. I would like to contine that tradition. We will be on Oahu September 22-30, and one of my shopping missions is to fine Christmas ornaments for my daughters families. All help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the mall in Waikiki that has lots of Hawaiian gift items. It's the one with the huge fish tank on the front. If you can't find any there, there are a few Hawaiin gift stores at the Ala Moana Mall. Don't forget to check the Hallmark store at Ala Moana. Good luck!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Places I've seen Hawaii Christmas decorations:

Swap Meet, Long's Drug Stores, Galleria in Waikiki, Hilo Hattie's, ABC Stores, E-Z Stores, & craft fairs.

Just walking through Waikiki there were numerous stores that had Hawaiian ornaments. I don't know if they have them in September though.

I've also seen a commercial on TV for "The Christmas Store", or "Christmas City" or a name something like that in Kailua. If I see the commercial again, I'll post it.

This is from the Honolulu Advertiser:
"Ka'ala Designs of Honoka'a continues its tradition of hand-painted glass Christmas ornaments. This year we found hibiscus, hula dancers, plumeria and Santa with Mrs. Santa at Island Treasures Kailua for $12. The company is also offering honu necklaces of polymer clay ($20) at the Kailua store.

For 2004, wood burner Cinzie Stepp is applying her art to Christmas ornaments. She shapes them as aloha shirts, surfboards, fish or little hales (houses) and burns in the art ($20). Available at Island Treasures Koko Marina."

WalMart, K-Mart always have some Hawaiian Christmas ornaments. I don't know if they are available in September.

You can also do a search;
Hawaii Christmas decorations
or
Hawaiian Christmas decorations

Maybe you can find a Hawaii store located among the responses to the search.

Here is one site I've used just for information. They sell Christmas things. Prices seem rather high though.
www.alohafriends.com

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You may want to try the web site: www.ornaments2remeber. They had some cute but a little pricey stuff. Although I visited Oahu in November, you may be able to find some at the Iolani Palace gift shop.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:51 PM

There are quite a few craft fairs in the fall, so as you get closer to your trip try to do some research on gohawaii.com for those. Sometimes they feature ornaments (like at the Mission Houses Museum/Kawaihao Church).

There used to be a store in Ward Warehouse on the 2nd floor called Kris Kringle's Den. I'm not sure if they are still there, though.

And of course, here at Aloha Tower Marketplace there are some shops, you can try Precious. They have a ton of ornaments in their window. Or the Hawaiian House, which has home furnishings & accessories.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

WOW, thanks so much for all the info.
This is a big help.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:27 AM

The ornaments from ornaments2remember.com might be a little "pricey" because they're hand painted. Many have nifty island themes and unique shapes. We've got a few we purchased on-line and are happy with our purchases.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Lex1,

I just checked out the website--yes, they are a tad bit more than I wanted to
spend, BUT, that's the theme I'm looking for. Of course, when we get to
Oahu, I'm sure that other things may be
a 'tad bit more' than we wanted. May just have to bite the proverbial bullet!

Thanks to you too for your help.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM

IndianaCarolyn:

You are welcome. The advantage to ornaments2remember is that their inventory is available when you want it--June, December or in between.

Have a great sojourn.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:29 AM

On Maui you can buy all kind of Christmas ornaments in year round in just about every shop you visit. Hilo Hattie, Whaler's general Store and ABC carry Island Heritage, and there are dozens of places from gift boutiques to t-shirt shops to craft markets where you can find ornaments from the unique to the sublime, any month of the year. I imagine you will be able to find them the same on O`ahu.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Kris Kringle's at Ward Warehouse has closed.

I was trying to while away the time by walking around before my dinner reservations a couple months ago and was surprised to see it gone - it had been there for a number of years.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Gone2Maui and Chepar--

Thank you both for your input. I know its been said before, but this forum is a great place to gather all sorts of ideas. I've been lurking for sometime, and finally got the nerve to post a month or two ago. I'm sure as September approaches, I'll have more questions.
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM

Although I live on Kaua`i and have lots of shopping available to me, every trip I make to O`ahu includes a stop at the wonderful Na Mea Hawai`i/Native Books store at Ward Warehouse in Honolulu. It's an artist co-operative, and everything there is truly made/produced in Hawai`i -- from all of the islands.

Worth a stop, especially if you want to purchase something truly unique.

If you just want to purchase something that _looks_ like it was made here, by then try ABC Stores, Hilo Hattie, Wal-Mart, or other chain stores, for items manufactured in Japan, China, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM

"I've also seen a commercial on TV for "The Christmas Store", or "Christmas City" or a name something like that in Kailua. If I see the commercial again, I'll post it."

This is the name and address of the Kailua store I mentioned in an earlier post.

Strictly Christmas
46 Hoolai St
Kailua, HI 96734-6121
(808) 263-3775
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!