Christmas Day in Hawaii

Nov 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Day in Hawaii

I'm going to be in Hawaii on Christmas by myself. I don't know which island yet - probably Oahu, but that's flexible.

What kinds of things are there to do on Christmas day for a solo traveler? Any festivals/celebrations that are open to the public?

I suppose I can hike and go see a movie at night, but it would be nice to be around some other humans, at least for a little while
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Well, on Christmas there will still be lots of people in the ocean trying out the new surf boards and body boards and other ocean toys that Santa brought them.
Nov 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM

It looks to me like most of the festivals and parades are earlier in the month, so if I were you, I would spread out my Christmas cheer. On Christmas day, probably most resorts will be more festive and have special brunches and entertainment.

Also, there may be some interesting church services. I'm not religious, but I went to a 3 hour service honoring Father Damien in Kohala recently that was amazing, with hymns sung in Hawaiian, and the members of the church doing hula to the hymns.

If you are in Oahu, there will be lots of people on vacation looking for Christmas cheer as well, so there will probably be lots of people out and about, music and good food.

Kilauea Lodge near the volcano has a cozy lodge with a fireplace, and I recall they have some Christmas wreath contest, so while you're visiting the volcano, this might be a nice place to check out, but probably not for Christmas day.

On the Big Island, I think we went to the Mauna Kea for brunch. I've found most holidays are officially low key, as locals are so family oriented, but the resorts will make special efforts for travelers.
Nov 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

What about volunteering someplace like a state park or something? Will all those be closed on Xmas day?
Nov 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Volcanos Nat'l Park is open Christmas Day! I think I know what I'm gonna be doing! Woot!
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM

There is a fireside talk story at Volcano on Christmas night with Leilehua Yuen. http://www.bigisland.org/calendar/16...-national-park

Sometimes these events are very special (or not...). You can stay at the Volcano House, which is interesting but a bit dated, or the Kilauea Lodge, which may be full. Or, most places in the volcano area are fine.
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Kailani, that is a terrific link. Thank you so much!

Looking at the Silo Seaside Hotel. Gets decent reviews and the rate is pretty good.

Thank you again, that looks lovely.