Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Christmas lights/decorations + good nightlife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I was looking for some advice regarding a trip I want to make this year. I have the timing down, which is approximately 3 to 4 days, sometime from 15 to the 25th of December.

Specifically, I'm looking for a destination which has:

1. great christmas lights/decorations
2. great nightlife and good(and affordable) places to eat
3. affordable hotels within walking distance to the above two criteria
4. hopefully not very cold during that time
5. don't need a car and can just walk to places (will take a shuttle/taxi from the airport to hotel)
6. culture (museums, etc.)

Can you guys advise on some target destinations for me? So far, I was thinking about Magnificent Mile, Chicago and Times Square, NY, but I don't know how cold it'll get during that time.

Thanks for your feedback.

Z
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM

St. Augustine, Florida. Specifically, Nights of Lights. http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com/nights/

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Z: This is where you have to define vague terms such as "affordable" places to eat and "affordable" hotels.

That being said, you have mentioned two of the most expensive cities to visit (and live) in the U.S. in your above inquiry.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

BTW, you don't need a car in Chicago. In fact, it is to your benefit not to have one. Parking rates in "downtown" Chicago are usually $25-60+ per night (no in/out privileges).

You take CTA busses and/or the 'L' (elevated train) - or cabs to your destinations. And you will have to travel within the city. For example, many of the major museums are miles away from the Magnificent Mile, River North and Loop areas, where most tourists stay.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Portland Maine
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Also, the week prior to Christmas can get you really great hotel deals in Boston. People don't travel for business and pleasure during that time. Last year I was able to priceline Westin Copley for $105 a night, throw a grand party at the Boston Christmas Pops. This year you would have Jersey Boys, the travelling Rockettes and many other great takes. Regardless where you land, I think the closer to Christmas you can do it, the better deals you will get as that last week things come to a bit of a hault. I still think Portland offers an ocean city quaintness, but Boston has better public transportation. NYC and Chicago are the big two and will remain expensive.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM

That time of year in NYC is typically cilly but not uber cld. Highs are usualy n the 40s.

But I'm afraid you've misplaced all of the Christmas activitie sin NYC. times Square is not it.

The best shops windows are along Fifth AVenue and then Madison and over to Bloomies.

The best trees/decorations are:

Rock Center - THE tree, skating rink and a lot of other decorations
The Met - has an antique Neapolitan tree and creche
The Museum Nat'l Hist has an origami tree

There is skating at the Rock Center rink as well as those in Bryant Park and Central Park

Times Square is near most of the theaters - but if you're talking about clubs for nightlife most of the trendy places are downtown - NOT near Times Square (which IMHO is a pustule on the face of NYC).

What you will NOT find is inexpensive hotels. This is the most expensive time of year and anything decent will probably be at least $300+ for 2 people.

As for restaurants - there are many dozens of good ones in all price categories - again - Times Square is NOT a lace to go - mostly overpriced and many the same awful chain places you find at every mall but at much higher prices. You can go to Hell's Kitchen nearby - or visit one of the residential areas that have dozens of good places at reasonable prices.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback - Exiledprincess, Kealalani and Nytraveler.

I was looking at Chicago Magnificent Mile, still getting some good prices for hotels around that time. Ok, so will take public transportation/taxi, so I don't have to deal with parking.

I'll look up Boston too, where would be a good place/area to stay for Boston? Also, how cold does it get during that time?

For New York, is Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(790 Eighth Ave New York, NY 10019) going to be a good location to stay? It is on 8th, and the prices for 22nd-25th is around $160.
The other hotel on 7th is Best Western President Hotel at Times Square(234 West 48th Street New York, NY 10036) also similarly priced. Or am I better off looking for a place closer to 5th Ave or Madison?

Thanks for your input.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM

I have been to New York at Christmas and found it to be incredibly crowded (and I generally don't mind crowds). If you can go during the week rather than the weekend you might be better off. I have been to Chicago, but not at Christmas. I generally find Chicago to be a little more affordable than NYC and very easy to get around without a car.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Amy

Philadelphia is beautiful at Christmas!

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ot-of-kids.cfm
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Well, this is pretty far from the cities you picked, but Santa Fe has a magnificent holiday scene that is unlike anywhere else.
Fly into Albuquerque and take a shuttle to Santa Fe. Southwest usually has good prices.

Luminarias light the streets, sometimes there's snow, the scent of pinon wood burning in a kiva fireplace, museums, great food, walkable, hotels that are steeped in SW traditions.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/12/16...anta.html?_r=1

http://www.pbase.com/annmurdy/christmas

http://www.sunset.com/travel/southwe...532/index.html
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Santa Fe. We flew into Albuquerque and drove up to Durango on Christmas Day one year...and then watched the snow melt in Colorado. We cancelled the hotel and drove down to Santa Fe to finish out the holiday and spend New Year's Eve. It is magical dressed up for the holidays and has all that you are asking for.

If you ARE interested in a rental car, there are day trip options outside of the city, but you don't need a car if you want to stay in the historic area around the plaza.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Chicago and New York are both great for Christmas, although good luck finding a reasonable hotel in NY. Times Square is not a bad place to stay. It's not where the best displays are, though it's easily accessible to them. Chicago hotels are probably cheaper.
Actually, one of the most impressive Christmas displays is on the Plaza in Kansas City.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and in fact will stay there again for our upcoming trip in November. We found it to be a great location and top notch customer service! That sounds like a good price as well. When I looked at our dates for November they were upwards of $300/night - thank goodness for hotel points!! PamT
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Both Chicago's Magnificent Mile and NYC's FIfth Avenue are magical at Christmas. There is also a large German Market called Christkindlmarket at City Hall Plaza in Chicago.
Times Square would not be my choice of an area to stay in NYC.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree that NYC is fabulous in December. I agree that there are great neighborhoods to stay in and I understand that many locals hate the Times Square area. Having said that, I love staying within a block or two of the craziness that is "Times Square". Many hotels with TS in their names are NOT in the craziness, but ARE close to things most TOURISTS want to see. When it's cold and windy, being in short walking distance of those things is a big plus! The hotel PamT mentions (and the Hampton Inn nearby) is close but not crazy. I like quiet neighborhoods but LOVE being in the "energy" that is Midtown NYC, especially at Christmas.

It's expensive at that time of year so you may have to stay further away. If so, get something near the subway. But a 4 minute walk is MUCH better than a 24 minute walk/ride/walk IMO, especially if the city is cold. And it WILL be windy. Cabs can be hard to come by especially right after shows are out. I LOVED being able to walk less than 2 blocks and be "home" than try to navigate my way back to a hotel on a cold windy winter's night.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 02:34 AM

NYC is not that expensive for hotels between 18-26 Dec. It's the time before and after that that's so pricey. The Hilton GI TS you mention is an excellent hotel but as nytraveler says, the focus of the Xmas decorations is really on Fifth ave. There's nothing wrong with staying at that Hilton though.

I also think Santa Fe is a great idea. If you're there for Dec. 24 Canyon Road is the place to be. Here's a good post from last year. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-192418-2.cfm

For an idea of weather/temps, you can use the trip planner on wunderground.com for any location you're considering. http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp