Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Christmas somewhere?? Looking for ideas.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year with the help of all you wonderful people, I had a fabulous Christmas in New York City, the first time on my own.
YOu gave me lots of tips.. And I loved being away at Christmas. SO, I'm looking already for a plan for this year.

My requirements are.... must be able to fly. I don't really want to rent a car in the winter.
Don't want ski or outdoor areas.
New York was perfect. so something similar in what there is to do.
I don't particularly want to go to museums.
What I loved about last Christmas was all the shopping, all the lights to see and the number of people walking around , enjoying themselves, the festive mood. DOn't neccesarily need good restaurants open....and don't NEED a typical XMas dinner.

Savannah sounds good, but it there good shopping without having a car? Public Transit to Charleston? Shopping there downtown.

I've thought of Chicago, Boston, somewhere down south....

any suggestions? from Toronto so don't want to spend hours on flight for 4 days away.

And would prefer to not spend a fortune at all.
Last year I got a good deal...
all in all a wonderful trip.

PLease give me your ideas...
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Chicago in a heartbeat. That city comes alive for Christmas.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I will definately check out CHicago. I think it's high on my list.
IS the city easy to get around...and is there lots of shopping downtown? Any special things going on Christmas weekend?

MOre ideas??
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Neopolitan

Where are you going from? We spent our first Christmas in London this year. Talk about having what you're looking for! Flights at Christmas can be pretty darn cheap depending on where you're flying from.

Chicago would be my next choice (if you really don't want to go back to NYC).

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

I would either fly out of Toronto or Buffalo, NY. I really enjoyed my Christmas in NY last year, but I've veen to NY 4 times in the last year, so I'd like to spend Christmas somewhere different.
In fact, I'd like to start a tradition for myself. Last year was my first Christmas alone and away. I think I'd like to go somewhere different each year.

Two votes for Chicago! I can maximize my dasy there. If I get a early flight, I can bei in these places for a late breakfast. Not so for London. And I will only be away for 4 nights. I want to make the most of my time.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM

Savannah...I spent four days solo there and didn't need a car. The only caution is that EVERYONE (including the police) warned me about walking alone at night.
How about something more quirky like Key West? It would be warm and there again no car is needed and there is lots to do. Unlike Savannah it is very safe.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:59 AM

Charleston or Chicago or possibly Portland, OR. Portland has good shopping, good restaurants, a nice city for walking around, a bit more laid back, though. Chicago, of course, is fabulous for Christmas. Charleston is elegant.
Charleston would make a good change from a big city Christmas.
Last, perhaps, would be Santa Fe. No airport into Santa Fe itself, but there must be non-car transit options from Albuquerque. Beautiful at Christmas. We did Christmas in Taos some years ago and went down to Santa Fe. Great atmosphere.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM

Charleston would be lovely, Kodi. So much to do and you won't need a car. The weather at Christmas will be mild. Plus you won't squander all your $$$ and will have plenty left over for your trip to Argentina!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

YOu guys have really come up with some great choices. One I had not even thought of. I'll really be able to do some daydreaming while at work today! ...wonderful suggestions..
I'll have to do some research on airfares.

cmcfong, you made me laugh....SO true, I need to save for Argentina. Looks like that will have to be 2007.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:48 AM

Another vote for Chicago. There are cheap, quick flights from Buffalo. Chicago is VERY easy to get around, with lots of shopping and restaurants downtown. If you loved NYC, you'll love Chicago.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM

Shopping + lights + people = Las Vegas.

You could then visit New York, Paris, Venice...
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM

Boston is also lovely at Christmas - lights, decor, no need for car, also several areas close by to shop/stroll in - the Prudential Ctr, Copley Place, the Boylston/Newbury/Charles St area, Downtown Crossing, -

You said not particularly interested in museums, so I don' know if that includes mansions - but we spend a long weekend before Christmas in Newport, Rhode Island one year and it was magical - they have a huge tree on the harbor, ice skating (even if you just stop by to watch), great shops all along the wharfs, and the mansions are decorated magnificently for the holidays and hold tours, concerts, etc - you could check it out on gonewport.com -

I realize it isn't a large city in the sense of Chicago or Boston, and many think of it only in the summer, but it can be festive and fun over the holidays too.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:43 AM

Kodi, after years and years of Christmases with our "children", a couple years ago we were facing our first year with both children grown, gone, and married. Not looking forward to that first Christmas alone, we took off...to Paris, and what a time we had! Needless to say, there's more shopping and fabulous sightseeing than you can possibly cover. With the metro, the entire city is easily and inexpensively navigated. Lights? It's the City of Light--but the decorations are so tasteful and lovely, from the little forests of white flocked Christmas trees along the Champs Elysees, to the store fronts and windows of Galeries Lafayette and Printemps. There just aren't words to describe the emotion of walking across the square to Notre Dame, bells tolling, big decorated tree in front of the spotlit church as we went to attend Christmas Eve mass. Ahhhh...and that booming organ. Just awesome. And we aren't even Catholic.

Check out this URL for a 360 degree view of Paris at night, (be sure to scroll across with your scroll bar on the bottom) http://tinyurl.com/lrclh and start your planning. You've got loads of time.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:51 AM

For your specific questions about Chicago:

It is very easy to get around. Chicago has a great subway system (called the el). You can see a map at www.transitchicago.com. It's also a very walkable city, and cabs are plentiful if you need a break or are heading somewhere the el doesn't go.

There is lots of shopping in the central part of Chicago (Michigan Avenue and Loop areas), plus tons of neighborhood shopping with more fun boutique-y shops and great local restaurants. The Michigan Ave. and Loop shops decorate their windows for Christmas, many with very elaborate displays. Lights along Michigan Ave. are turned on just before Thanksgiving (late November in the US), and make for a beautiful after-dark scene for walking about.

It will be on the cold side, but nothing worse than what you'd expect in Toronto.

There is a Christkindl Market in the Loop at Christmas time, and probably other fun Christmas activities. I know the Lincoln Park zoo does zoo lights, and there is a Christmas trees from around the world display at the Museum of Science and Industry. Also, there are highly renowned performances every year of "The Nutcracker" (Joffrey Ballet) and "A Christmas Carol" (at Goodman Theater).

There will also be ice skating in Millennium Park (fun to watch, even if you don't want to skate yourself, and a great excuse to drink hot chocolate).

I haven't been in Chicago for Christmas day, but have been a couple times shortly before Christmas. It's a really magical place to be!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

YOu guys are the best, as usual! So many wonderful ideas. I thought of something today, and I'll have to do my homework. But in NY I went to Radio City Music Hall on Christmas day in the afternoon and then to the theatre at night. Do any of these other places have things going on right on Christmas Day? All of the suggestions sound great, but I don't want to be wandering around with nothing to do on Christmas day.
Las Vegas!!! Wow, I know I will have something to do on Christmas day there! It never closes does it? ( I haven't been).
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

It may be too close for you, but my husband and I went to Montreal Christmas week last year. It was great. But, it was VERY COLD!
This year, my husband and I will be going to Phoenix the week after Christmas. We;ve heard a lot of good things about it!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Kerry392, did you do anything on Christmas day? I thought of MOntreal of Quebec City, but I have it in my head that the USA may have more going on than Canadian cities....right on the 25th I mean. Since I'll be alone , ever a leisurely dinner isn't fun. I don't like fine dining on my own.

I love the idea of seeing mansions. I saw a couple in Savannah and loved them ( not at Chrsitmas).