Chicago with the family this week!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As follow-up to an earlier posting, my wife, 7 and 12 year-old boys and myself are arriving at Midway Thursday late-morning and staying through Sunday morning.

We are planning - Thursday: Checking in at the Embassy Suites on Columbus Ave., taking the Architecture River Cruise, then out for Chinese food.

Friday: Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium; Navy Pier, then ESPNZone.

Saturday: Sears Tower; Daley Plaza for Halloween Happening and Midnight Circus; then Giordano's for Pizza (I think).

We are very excited about coming to town - even if it does look like rain!

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Sounds like a great trip- I'm envious! I grew up in Chicago, and want to take a similar trip with my boys who are 7 and 9. Please post a trip report when you return. Have fun!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:29 AM

With rain in the forecast I'd have a back up for the Sears Tower. Who wants to pay that kind of money to go to the top and look at a fog?

FYI Saturday of Labor Day weekend I stopped with my Dad and niece at the Sears Tower. Around noon the line was at a 1.5 hour wait. That's way too long for my 8 year old niece.

She really wanted to ride the El so we did that instead. Took the orange line out a couple of stops towards Midway then came back. She loved it. So did I. It was cheap compared to the Sears tower.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Sounds great, although I'm wondering if you may be trying to pack too much into Friday with both the Aquarium and the Field Museum and Navy Pier?

Our kids LOVED riding the EL around downtown. Also we rode the CTA bus 151 up to Lincoln Park Zoo and we all enjoyed that too.

Truth be told, I've always liked the view from the John Hancock better than the Sears, but either one is breathtaking.

Have an awesome time and let us know where all you end up eating. I'm with you on the Giordano's pizza. Love the stuffed crust.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM

bnrdad,

Have a great trip! Does the Chinese food on Thursday night mean Chinatown on something less adventuresome? If the former, leave some time to walk around and look at the storefronts. If the latter, I'd heartily recommend Ben Pao on the near north side. Very cool for the whole family and they do a great job with kids.

As you may recall, I'm also a Hancock fan. Maybe it is the fact that I need a drink to look out a window when I'm that high off the ground!

Enjoy,

Kevin
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:34 AM

On Thursday evening the Children's Museum (Navy Pier) is open late; think about going there Thursday instead of Friday, which seems overscheduled.

The architecture boat cruise is not really for kids; they have nowhere to go if they're bored, and poor behavior can detract from the other guests' enjoyment. If you decide to do the tour, check out a book or website of Chicago buildings and prepare them for what they're going to see. Bring distractors in case they tire of the commentary.

Luinch at the 95th restaurant of the Hancock is fun for kids; they even have a kids menu. You get the views without paying any admission. Try to go around 11:30 or after 2 p.m. to avoid waiting.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM

They used to have a "haunted" el ride around Halloween -you may want to check the website or maybe someone here knows if they still have it...
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM

There is a haunted ship on Navy Pier which the kids may like.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Giordano's is the most commercial Chicago pizza you can get. You might as well just stay wherever you are from and eat at Pizzeria Uno's! If you want real Chicago deep dish pizza, try Pizano's at State and Chestnut, 3 blocks west of Water Tower. It is the best deep dish pizza in Chicago by far.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Your plans sound great, but I'll bet you guys will be tired and cranky at the end! That's because you are keeping so busy. Might double-check about what do kids that age really enjoy
...certainly Field Museum and Shedd are fine, and as others have said riding the El and such, but any chance you could hop a bus for the Museum of Science & Industry?

Yes, I agree...Chicago pizza, also any number of ethnic restaurants not necessarily Chinese.
Bill in Missouri (born in Chicago)
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all.

Yes the Field, Shedd and Pier is a lot for one day, but we only plan on spending a brief time on the Pier, just to walk down it a bit and see the sculptures - staying clear of the tourist-y shopping there - and it's only a five minute walk to the hotel.

Chicgal - I agree on the exposure to the "arts" on the architectural tour - we are from the flatlands and live in the country - therefore the boys are very interested in the big cities and all they have to offer. I think between the river, boat ride, and varitey of buildings and the stories behind them, they will be more than entertained. Plus, this is one of the first activities planned when we arrive and it will all be so "new". But they will bring their iPods just in case!

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:16 PM

We went to Giordanos for deep dish pizza and enjoyed it very much. I have to say their pizza is nothing like Pizzeria Uno (which we can also get at home)so you probably will enjoy the experience. I also agree that your kids are the perfect age to enjoy the architecture river cruise. If time permits, you might want to rent a quadcycle for an hour and pedal your way along the lake. Have a great trip
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:22 PM

BTW, bike rentals are available at Navy Pier