Search

Chicago trip suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago trip suggestions?

Hello,

I'm heading to Chicago this weekend for a quick trip. I'll get there on Saturday by train around 10:30am, see Wicked at 2pm, stay the night at the Palmer House, and head home around 5pm Sunday. Any suggestions for things to do around town? We're especially interested in taking in some of the holiday sights. Also, does anyone know if the theater is walking distance from the hotel, and what kind of dress code the theater has for a matinee? Thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM

It is walking distance. However, if it's as cold as it was today, you might want to take a cab. Sunday is supposed to be very cold. But I think, at this point, they're predicting a little warmer day Saturday.

I haven't been to Wicked. But at a matinee at the nearby Goodman we saw everything from jeans to fairly dressed up.

I'd suggest checking out the Chriskindlemart in Daley Plaza:

http://www.christkindlmarket.com/
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM

You can certainly walk from the theatre to the Palmer House -- I've done it in stilettos in the rain (really.) It's about 5 blocks, but there is a ton to look at on the way.

There isn't any required dress code. It's mostly what you feel comfortable wearing. However, I'm a very, very strong believer in dressing up for shows.

Check out the windows at Macy's - also very close to the hotel. I don't think they've been as good since its changed from being a Marshall Fields, but they're still lovely. Also, go inside and see the big tree in the Walnut Room of Macy's. I believe there is a viewing area one floor above the tree.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM

We're also are going to Chicago, but it's a long weekend. Arriving on Saturday afternoon, staying at the Doubletree Magnificent Mile for the first night to do some Christmas shopping and then moving over to the Chicago Hilton for the next 2 nights. We're going to the Monday Night Football game between the Bears and Packers.

If it's a clear Saturday night, I would suggest the Signature Lounge at the John Hancock Building. Just amazing views. The elevator is free and you get the same views that the Observatory gets just one floor above. The observatory charges ~$15 for the elevator ride.

Perhaps we could have a mini Fodors get together there?
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Be sure to get some Garretts popcorn - located right next to the theater.

Go inside of Macy's - it is a beautiful building and I believe it carries some of the most unique items for any Macy's - even NY.

If you have never been to Chicago and you bring your warm clothes (boots are advised) walk up to Millineum park and walk across so that you can see the lake. Alot of people can't believe that Lake Michigan is so big - an it is beautiful even in the winter.

Also inside Macy's is the infamous Walnut Room - if you don't eat there go through and take a peek at the views outside of the gorgeous huge windows. And of course there will be a huge decorated Christmas Tree.

There is a place that sells gelato inside of Macy's that is yummy!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM

In my opinion, the most unique and best thing about Chicago is that it is the birthplace American architecture.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation is located very near your hotel (right across from not-to-be-missed Millennium Park) and has a zillion tours that are very reasonably priced. My husband and I went for a long weekend, became members for like $65 (don't quote me on that) and then most of the tours were free. I think we did like 6 of them, including an incredible river boat tour.

I'm sure you could find one- even a warm-ish bus one instead of the walking ones- on Sunday. You will not be disappointed!

http://architecture.org/tours.aspx
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM

If you are into this type of thing, there is a Christmas market taking place outside at the Daley Center. Here is the website: http://www.christkindlmarket.com/ We are taking the train from the suburbs on Sunday to go see what is happening at the market. Haven't been to it before. Definitley wearing layers of warm clothes to walk around downtown.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Just jumping back in to say that, while it's still early in the week, the forecast for Sunday has improved. Last night the local stations were saying a high of 12 to 15. Today the Weather channel is saying a high of 35.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM

You might be interested in the ZooLights Festival at the Lincoln Park Zoo. You could go after the show on Saturday night, weather-permitting. Unfortunately, you won't be able to pop into the Lincoln Park Conservatory first for their Winter Flower and Train Show, as it closes before you could get there (at 5:00 p.m.), but mentioning it for the sake of others.

The Art Institute is currently having an exhibit called "The Divine Art: Four Centuries of European Tapestries" (included in the general admission). Note to others: On Thursday, the Newberry Consort will be performing at 6:00 p.m. in the Fullerton Hall at the Art Institute in conjunction with this exhibit. $20 for AI non-members, $15 for AI members. If you are unfamiliar with this wonderful chamber ensemble, which plays early-period music on the instruments for which the music was composed, you can find additional information on the Newberry Library website, as well as links to listen to some of their performances.

Of course, there is ice skating at the McCormick-Tribune Ice Skating Rink at Millennium Park. Something special to see at night with the city's skyline ablaze, even if you aren't skating yourself.

The Drake Hotel: Their annual Charles Dickens buffet is currently available (also on Christmas Eve and Day). The buffet menu is posted on their website. If you are interested, would recommend getting reservations asap.

Getting away from the downtown: The Music Box Theatre will be having their 25th annual Christmas Sing-a-Long with Santa from December 19th through Christmas Eve (last showing is at 4:00 p.m.). This is a true Chicago Christmas tradition. You can buy tickets for either "White Christmas" starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye or "It's a Wonderful Life" with James Stewart, or the double feature (except on the 22nd, when they will be showing "Miracle on 42nd Street" and "Bad Santa" as the double feature). There is a sing-a-long with Santa between the showings. Be prepared for audience participation. If you are interested in this option, recommend that you get tickets as soon as possible because some shows sell out.

Have fun in the city!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the tips! I can't wait to visit. Hopefully, this snow will let up so I can make it to the train station in the morning!