Chicago Trip

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Trip

I have just one more question. One place we didn't wander on the last trip was the area around Sears Tower. Is that a safe area to walk in the evening from S Michigan? We thought we would include Sears Tower this time.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM

The Sears Tower is right across the river from Union Station which has some foot traffic at night, but in general the financial district is quieter at night. Depending on the size of your group it is probably ok to walk...you didn't indicate how late or how far you would be walking....late late night/early morning I would grab a cab...
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:21 AM

I've walked through the loop as late as one or two in the morning and always felt quite safe. There's always a fair amount of people out, especially in warmer weather. Try walking down Madison to Wacker if you're concerned. Madison is one of the busier streets in the loop.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:21 AM
JJ5

If the weather is ok, I walk all over and much farther west than that. Last spring we were out quite late around there and noted that the cornor ground floor venues within blocks of each other, had coffee shops with cops eating donuts in them. Honestly, we were really laughing because it is such a sterotype, but it was true. Partnered also, and I had thought that they were singulars, for the most part.

Always choose the busier street as above, and also do not walk under construction walkways as a rule. Downtown is safe, but always use sense and walk where you can see and be seen from the longest distance.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I thought it would be alright as the last trip we were out late in Grant Park, River North, & many other areas feeling completely safe. We were planning to go to Sears Tower in the early evening to go up to see the city lights. Thanks again - can't wait to get back to Chicago, not like Dallas where once is enough.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:17 PM

There isn't that much for tourists to do around Sears Tower, although the Opera House is nearby. Sears is in the financial district, which shuts down at 5 p.m.

The most direct route from Michigan Avenue is to cross the river and turn right on Wacker Drive. Wacker follows the curve of the river from east-west to north-south, and you'll get a nice view of Mies Van der Rohe's IBM Plaza, Marina City (corncobs), the Merchandise Mart, 333 Wacker (the curved green glass building) the Opera House (see if you can visit the lobby, and Union Station.

On your way back, you may want to take Adams east, past the Rookery building, with a view of the Board of Trade and LaSalle Street. When you get to Dearborn, head north to see some of the well-known public sculptures, particularly the Chagall mosaic at Monroe and Dearborn. I think it is lit after dark.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:26 PM

(Continued)
After you pass the Picasso in Daley Plaza, turn right on Randolph Street and take in the Cadillac Palace Theatre (another great lobby if you can sneak a peek). Marshall Field's flagship store is a half block further, and, finally, turn north on State Street and end at the lights-a-blazing Chicago Theatre.