Chicago - Single - Safe?

Search

Chicago - Single - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago - Single - Safe?

I'm going to be going to Chicago for a conference in early June. I'll be staying out by O'Hare. The conference doesn't begin until Monday, but I'm coming in on Saturday to do some shopping over the weekend - Michigan Ave & Lincoln Park. I won't be renting a car. Are the El lines that go to those areas (I think Blue from my hotel to the loop and then Brown? or Red? to Lincoln Park) safe? As a young woman alone? Is there a certain hour after which I should avoid them, etc? How about carrying lots of bags? Thanks much.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:11 AM

You will be fine on the El. Take the Blue Line to Damen and shop around Bucktown as well. I don't know what you are looking for but there are lots of funky boutiques along Damen just north of North Avenue (where the El gets out). You could cab it from there to Lincoln Park. In LP hit the shops on Armitage and Webster between Halsted and Racine. To get to Michigan Avenue, take the blue line to Chicago Avenue and walk East. It is a bit of a walk but if it's nice out it's worth it. Or you could cab it over to Michigan but it really isn't far. I think you are okay on the El later on in the evening, especially if you are getting off at the airport and going to the Hilton. Just do the usual-be alert and keep your bags near you, but it's not exceptionally dangerous-or at least when I've done it is wasn't.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM
SMB

As a lifer here in the windy city, I advise female travellers, even in groups, to avoid the el late at night. I have spent years commuting on the el and have no problem in the day. Its the typical "you are in a big city, don't act stupid and you will be fine" routine. But if it gets too late at night, which in June won't be until after 8:30 or so, I would cab it back to Rosemont or wherever.

The only other problem is that if you have lots of packages avoid taking the right before everyone is packed on there to go to or from Cubs game. Then you will be so crammed on there that your packages won't fit.

Have fun. Don't forget to check out our beautiful lake front.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Yes, the city and the public transportation are safe for a single female. I've lived here 13+ years and ride at all times and have never had the slightest problem. Just be city-wise as with any city.

What kind of shopping are you interested in? There are several areas other than Michigan Avenue that have different kinds of shops. Just post what you like.
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Sorry to say my experience doesn't match Heather's. I've been pickpocketed on the El, as has my girlfriend and my (female) neighbor. After a long day of shopping, it's a real hassle to schlep back to the Chicago and Michigan subway, wait for a train, do the block long transfer with all your bags, then wait for another train to get to Rosemont, where you'll have yet another walk or bus ride to your hotel.

You just dropped all kinds of money shopping; do yourself a favor and take a cab home, about $25, especially after dark. Also, keep some of your money in an inside clothing pocket, and don't let your purse dangle freely.