Going to spend a week in Chicago

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Vita

Going to spend a week in Chicago

Hello!

I am leaving to Chicago on Saturday and will be spending a week there.
Are there any special events I should check out?
Will there be a cubs game? Is it hard to get from the Westin on Michigan Ave to the Stadium?

Where can I get info re: transit system?

Are there shuttles from the airport?

What's the best pizza place near the Westin?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Paul

Cubs game is a must in a visit to chicago - lived in the chicago land area for over 10 years. You can take the el train to the stadium but its a little walk from the westin to the el stop. cab is good but go very early(traffic bad near game time) and visit the neighborhood in wrigglyville. lot of fun bars in the area. you will have to scalp tickets as they are always sold out. Do not waste time at a white sox game. Go to the lakeshore for Navy pier, museums and people watching - rent bikes or roller blades. best pizza experience I think is Ranalis in Lincoln Park in the summer although the wait can be long ,its outside mostly and fun place to be. Michigan ave is fun to walk up and down.It is a great city, relatively safe for a large city if your stay out of the wrong places and easy to get around by bus , cab, or el train, an experience to ride in itself. go to the neighborhoods on the north side (Halstead street area) for a show and dinner.lots to do you will fill your week easily. have fun.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:04 PM
jo

There's a train from O'Hare into the city and shuttles and limos. Just check with an information desk when u get your baggage.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Angel

The House of Blues, you can not miss that places, everynight there is a great concert, with good bands from everywhere in the world. Chicago, the Windy City, I love it!!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Kris

Here's a website for a shuttle from the airports that is recommended on Westin's website

http://www.airportexpress.com/Airport.htm

It might be slightly cheaper than a cab, not sure how convenient it is since I've never taken it.

The website for the el and bus system is http://www.transitchicago.com/
The el from O'Hare should be $1.50, then a short cab ride

There are a couple of festivals this weekend, Streeterville Summer send off and Celtic Fest (Grant Park). Go to www.877chicago.com, www.metromix.com or www.chireader.com for more info.

I haven't made it over yet, but friends have told me that the Chiluly display at Garfield Conservatory is worth a look. It's there through sometime in Nov.
http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/

The Earth From Above outdoor photo exhibit is in Millennium Park through 9/29/02. http://www.ci.chi.il.us/CulturalAffa...FromAbove.html

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Dick

Vita,

The Cubs will be playing at home this Saturday and Sunday. The rest of next week they will be on the road.

Dick

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Pam

Dick:
According to the Cubs website, they are playing a game today against the Montreal Expos at home and then not at home again until the end of the month. We wanted to see a game while we're there so I'm interested to know where you got your info. Thanks!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Dick

Pam and Vita,

I have to apologize, I was looking a week ahead.

Pam is correct. The Cubs will not be home while Vita is there. Too bad, Wrigley is a great experience if you like baseball. In fact it's a MUST SEE.

Another MUST SEE is PacBell Park in San Francisco....Unbelievable!!! Reminds you of Wrigley. Once you are in the stands, there is so much to see, you almost forget about the game (just kidding). It's amazing!!

My wife and I are planning a return trip to Chicago in 2003. We are waiting for the baseball schedule to come out so we can plan our trip when the Giants and Cubs play! Got to plan ahead.

Dick

Dick

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
mary

I recommend catching a show at Second City on North Wells street one night. Second City is a comedy troupe from which many well-known comedians got their start. I don't imagine you'd have trouble getting tickets on a week night, even if you wait until you get here--your hotel will be able to tell you how to contact them. I also recommend a cruise on Lake Michigan. One that I really like leaves from Navy Pier--I believe it's called the Sea Dog, or something like that (it's been a while). On one of their tours, you first take an architectural cruise down the Chicago river, with interesting info given about the various buildings making up the skyline. Then you go back through the locks on to Lake Michigan for a speed boat ride--its fun! Ask at your hotel if the free trolleys are still running between various points of interest--I know it runs during the summer, not sure about now, but maybe it does on weekends. Have fun--let's hope we get great weather so you can really enjoy our beaufiful city.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Andrea

Definitely check out the architechural river cruise. I loved it when I was last in Chicago about 2 years ago. Actually, I'll be heading back on the 21st for 5 days. Loved Second City. My husband who lived in Chicago for 6 years is a fan of Gino's East for pizza. Speaking of restaurants, check out Gehas (sp?) for great fondue. Loved the music at Blues, etc.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Peep

Vita: If you want to go to Second City, the toll free number is 877-778-4707. I recommend calling in advance, even if it is a week night.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Kris

Just to add to a couple of the posts...

Hottix sometimes has tickets for Second City at 1/2 price. You will have a better shot at them on the weekdays

www.hottix.org

Geja's is the restaurant Andrea is referring to.

In addition to the Sea Dog, there is Windy, a tall ship that sails from Navy Pier. It costs around $25 per person. We recently took one of the evening cruises on Ugly Duck and although it was an enjoyable ride, I thought it was overpriced for the dinner they serve. Better to just get the boat ride, in my opinion, and eat elsewhere.

The free trolleys should still be running on the weekends in September.

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/transportation/trolleys/