Chicago restaurant recommendation before theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have a recommendation for a great restaurant before going to the theater in the loop. Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Try the Atwood Cafe at State and Washington. There is also a good restaurant on Randolph one block west of State St..sorry, can't remember the name of it. Call the theater box officeand check with them.

Lucci
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM

I have been to Petterino's many times, and never been disappointed . They are located in the Goodman Theater building. Reservations are a must. You can book them through opentable.com
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM
JJ5

I've been to both of the above, and they work well. Go to all options website and see their hours, because some are not open before matinees etc.

For very reasonable pricing at different levels Italian Village- it's my girlfriends' favorite, but not mine.

You need to define what great is. High end restaurant? Entertainment / service factor or surroundings?

My personal favorite before an afternoon or evening show is Trattoria #10 at 10 N. Dearborn. You are within 1 to 3 short blocks from the Loop theaters.

It's below ground level and white table cloth / more elegant and has excellent appetizers but is not stuffy or in any way user unfriendly. We lunched there just this late Fall timeframe, before Jersey Boys, and it was fab with 5 people. We all got something different and no one gave anything they received less than a 8 out of 10 (and this with a VERY, VERY finicky audience who are Tru and Alinea type usuals).

Their specialty of the house is always good to order, or the Butternut squash ravioli is available too at all times. Salads are fab there too.

www.metromix.com for many more that are short walks to theatre.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM

JJ5, we ate Tratoria's appetizer buffet in the bar...ab fab. Had great appes for 15$ a piece not including wine.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Trattoria 10 sounds great! Also, Petterino's. I appreciate your help!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Judyrem, they had appes on the buffet? Does that make it a monkey bar?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM

bubbles76, what is your dining budget? Are you going to a matinee performance? During the week or on a weekend?

You don't mention these items (particularly the first) and they are important as none of these choices could be considered inexpensive dining; different options would be better for lunch than dinner; and so forth. Also, the bar menu items mentioned above for Trattoria No. 10 are only available on *weekday* evenings between certain hours (see their website for details).

IMHO, Trattoria No. 10 is usually a good place to go pre-theatre, being so immediately situated. But it certainly is not of the level of Tru and most definitely not that of Alinea. JJ, you say these people who accompanied you frequent Chicago's top tier restuarants??

Agree that Atwood Cafe in the historic Hotel Burnham also is well-situated in the Loop and has good cuisine.

My recommendations (which, of course, depend on your budget) would be about 5-10 minute cab rides away. They happen to be in different directions, though.

To the east (actually northeast): Aria is located at 200 N. Columbus in the Fairmont. Asian-fusion comfort food in a lovely setting.

To the west: In the Warehouse District/West Loop (across the Chicago River) and both happen to be newer restaurants.

Sepia on Jefferson just south of Randolph - has American cuisine, and so named because the building in which it is located used to be a printing house and is hot, hot, hot right now. American cuisine.

Powerhouse (Clinton/Lake), in a historic building which can be easily identified by its smokestack, is so named because it used to house the generators for the Chicago Northwestern Railroad. Steak plus seafood and American cuisine.

To the South: If you wanted something in the South Loop in a historic building then Mercat a la Planxa (Catalan tapas) just opened in the Blackstone. Great views of Grant Park and very good cuisine.

To the North: If you were looking for something chic and romantic, La Pomme Rouge on W. Kinzie.

For wanting premier restaurants close-at-hand: I'd suggest Blackbird or Avec (both American contemporary) or maybe Moto (experimental cuisine) or its sibling, Otom (much more affordable than Moto - comfort food with differences). And Everest (French) still has its 3-course pre-theatre option at 5:30 p.m. every day except Saturdays at 5 p.m.

The great thing with the internet is that you can view all of these restaurant's websites, which normally shows their decor and menu items, usually with prices. If they don't have the prices shown, you can easily find the entree price range and reviews on websites such as Metromix and the Chicago Reader. They also show those restaurants which have the pre- and post-theatre dinner prix-fixe menus available (including which days of the week, number of courses, the price - exclusive of drink, tax & tip, of course). Chicagoans use these websites all the time, so don't be shy.

Throwing these out there for your consideration as, quite frankly, I think visitors need to know some of the other options available to them other than the same old suggestions.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
JJ5

That's not what I said.

I said that they were finicky and hard to please and gave it an 8.

That is totally different than saying I compared it to that level of tortured and cold food.

I have been to Tru, and could never rec the place myself. What a rip off!

exiledprincess, you have great walks and some good advise- but you do that all the time. That is not the meaning I gave it at all.

All they want is a user friendly close to theatre- not sending them all over the place to get to high end trendy favorites.

And IMHO, those "oldies" but goodies are just fine for what she asked.

bubbles, know your distances and look at prices.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM

JJ5, again we are at odds, and why? I don't know.

1) Close to which theatre? I don't think the OP ever mentioned which one in the Loop. As you know, there are several - from the Harris Theatre in Millennium Park to the Cadillac to the Auditorium on Congress - a rather large area is encompassed.

2) With all due respect, here are your exact words: ..."and this with a VERY, VERY finicky audience *who are Tru and Alinea type usuals*." In reading this statement, it did appear to me that you were saying these people frequent(ed) the top tier restaurants in Chicago. That's why I questioned you on that point.

3) The OP never stated their budget. And, if you would just read what I said and do a little research yourself first on the menu prices, you would see that I have mentioned *all* different types of dining budgets.

The entrees at Otom, for example, are about the $20 range, some more some less.

Or, if the OP went to Powerhouse, there is a menu available in the more casual bar with the prices for the sandwiches and salads ALL in the $9-15 range. In fact, the only item more expensive on the entire bar menu is the King Crab Risotto appetizer at $16.

However, if you feel that isn't an "apples-to-apples" comparison, just take a look at the dinner menu prices of Trattoria No. 1 and those of, for example, Powerhouse's or Sepia's. You can find them ALL online.

bubbles76, I do sincerely want you to know your options and pick the BEST place for the type of cuisine and ambiance, in which you are interested. Sometimes it's just a short cab-ride away, though.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Sorry, bubbles76, I meant to mention something above but forgot.

In the section where I was talking about not knowing which theatre, some of these restaurant suggestions are closer to specific theatres than others.

For example, if you were going to the Harris Theatre, then Aria would be the closest restaurant (and they do have pre- and post-theatre options).

Or, if you were going to the Cadillac Theatre, then you are fairly close to the West Loop areas. For example, Sepia is one block to west of the Ogilvie Transportation Center and Powerhouse is only a couple of blocks further away. But we aren't talking any great distances here.

Or, if you were going to the Auditorium, then Mercat a la Planxa would be the closest.

I mentioned in my previous post of Metromix's website site as being one to search for information. When you go into that website and then into the restaurant's page, you'll even see a little map insert which shows you exactly where the restaurant is located and what is nearby. This map can be expanded to a larger view, if you wish, so you can easily see the distance to your ultimate destination.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM

The Atwood Cafe would be my recommendation, it's location is perfect, the dining room is a pretty and unique, the food is good and the cocktails are strong!
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the advice given above. We used to live in Chicago and are returning for a visit (after 8 years) and will be seeing Jersey Boys. Trattoria NO. 10 is a restaurant my spouse went to for business lunches many times and loves it. So, that is the current choice, especially since the one poster mentioned it was close to Jersey Boys--but I will consider the other options, as well. I do hate to see the bantering back and forth on postings--life is just too short
Thanks you everyone for your advice.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM

bubbles76, thank you for posting again. And sorry that some of the comments on here saddened you. Likewise for me.

I used to post on this forum a lot more than I do now. I've been giving a lot of thought to leaving this forum altogether because of this type of situation.

I do hope that you do keep the other restaurants I've mentioned in mind because they are all excellent options.

By the way, do you ever watch Top Chef on Bravo? This season highlights Chicago and a couple of the chefs (one is eliminated now) are from here. One of the guest judges (on just this past episode) was Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill/Topolobampo. We'll see what happens in future episodes, but I anticipate to see other local guest judges as well.