Baseball Stories

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseball Stories

Tell us your favorite baseball story. It might be about something funny, something amazingly athletic, something historic (a perfect game or when a record was broken), a moment you remember with your child, parent or other family member at a game even if it has nothing to do with baseball, when you got engaged at a baseball game, or something that is for whatever reason a memorable part of a trip -- no matter how short -- to a baseball game. It might have happened today or decades ago. Whatever it is, please share!

Here's mine:

August 26, 2006 is a day I'll never forget. My wife and I had arrived late to a baseball game at Camden Yards. Baltimore was playing Tampa Bay. Immediately after we sat down (we hadn't really settled into our seats), the ball was hit really hard in our general direction but not at all to our area. My immediate reaction was to remind my wife to pay attention to the foul balls because they can be dangerous.

I remember the rest of the flight of the ball just as clearly as if it had occurred in slow motion. It hit an advertising sign on the level above us, far to our right and behind us. After careening off the sign, it headed straight for us. While holding lemonade in my left hand, I casually reached behind my wife with my right hand and never left my seat. I didn't lean backwards. I didn't stretch my arm. I didn't reach high or low. I simply extended my arm at shoulder level. Because that's exactly where the baseball was coming.

As the ball got closer and closer to me, my eyes were so focused on it that I saw absolutely nothing else. I was completely unaware that my wife had gotten out of her seat to avoid the ball. My gaze was so intent that it looked like the size of a beach ball. At the very last split second before it got to my bare hand, one thought occurred to me: "This could really hurt." At the next moment my fingers were tightly wrapped around the ball.

It didn't drop to the floor. It didn't even bobble. If there is a sweet spot in my hand, the ball had landed in it dead center. And my hand didn't hurt in the slightest.

I couldn't believe it. I had caught the ball! I had used my bare right hand and, as someone later joked, I didn't spill a drop of the lemonade that was in my left hand.

I'm totally uncoordinated. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. The last time I caught a ball was in 1972. It was a softball and I used a glove.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
J62

Monday, Aug 21, 2006. Yankees complete a 5 game sweep of BoSox! Not there in person, but streaming audio from CBS880 radio just about as good.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Several:

My first Yankees game - I was 5 and we had field box tickets from my father's office. It was very exciting since the Yankees came from behind to beat someone (I WAS 5) but what I remember most is the beer cascading down from the upper deck - people must have put cups on the railing and knocked them over when they jumped up and down.

Seeing Regiie Jackson hit 3 homers in the World Series from the upper tier. the game was great, Reggie was great - but I never went near the upper tier again (it;s like mountain climbing - I was dizzy the whole time).

Seeing the game in July 04 versus the Red Sox when Derek Jeter chased a ball into the stands and came out looking like he had gone several rounds with Mike Tyson.

We were 3 or 4 boxes over and he passed right in front of us - bleeding - on the way to the dugout. I never thought he woud play the next day. But then - that's why he;s the Captain.

Oh - and the last OldTimer's game with DiMaggio. I took my father - who was the biggest DiMaggio fan ever - and he was so sad at how much he had aged. (I think other team don;t do Old Timers Days any more - I guess so many trades mean not many Old Timers - unlike the Yankees - which read like a roster at Cooperstown).

It's hard to limit it to that since I've been going to Yankees games at least several times a year for over 45 years.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM

I enjoyed the stories, and I enjoy baseball. But just as I go to a stadium to see baseball, I come here for travel talk. There's more sports-talk boards (and radio call-in shows) than there are travel-talk sites.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Ha, posting just to annoy rb!

Mike, my favorite story is we took our daughter to an Oakland A's game as usual. It was in the early 70's. She was enthralled with Reggie Jackson. I walked her down to where he would come out of of "whatever you call it", lol. He did and he looked up at her. She had so wanted his autograph but she was so stunned at seeming him standing right there she couldn't speak, lol. She was about 12 years old. I will never forget the two of them staring at each other. She did get his autograph as he walked over to her. A precious moment.

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:58 PM

A Tony Gwynn encounter about 15-years ago in San Diego (my hometown.)

Me and about 4 buddies (in our 20's) were heading to a party one night. On the way there we decided to pull into a McDonald's in Poway (a northern suburb) because we were starving and we had just found out there wasn't gonna be any food at the party.

So...we're sitting at our table scarfing down our food...and in walks Tony Gwynn and his two kids (they were probably around 8yrs old and 5 or so).

My buddies and I say "DUDE--It's TONY GWYNN!"

Tony steps back in mock horror and says..."Where?" and he just starts laughing & giggling.

SO we walk up to him and say the usual "Hi, Tony" "We're your biggest fans" yadda, yadda...and he just starts talking to us like he was a regular dude (about the weather, McRib sandwiches, the L-A Lakers, his super-big afro when he played hoops at San Diego State--ANYTHING except baseball )

As he was getting his food and walking to a table, he says to us: "Shhh. Don't tell my wife y'all saw me here! She'll kill me!" and he left giggling.

We were just in awe that whole night. It was in February (the off-season) and as every Padre fan knew, Tony was getting a little, ahem, "chubby" and was supposed to be on an off-season eating plan.

IT's a moment my buddies and I STILL talk about...and is one reason why he will always be "Mr. Padre" to us and millions of Padres fans.

PS-Gwynn will be a first-ballot Hall Of Famer next year. And that 8year old son is now a Milwaukee Brewer.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM

A "whatever you call it" ?? You're a real sports fan, loveitaly. A regular athletic supporter, I'd say.

"Ha, posting just to annoy rb!" Now that just shows how childish you can be. Just to annoy me? I think it was Twain (maybe Rogers) who said that it is better to be silent and to be thought a fool than to open's one's mouth and remove all doubt. My god! disagree with me if you must, but to post petty and pathetic little zingers "just to annoy" anyone? Publishable words excape me.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM

No rb I am not especially a sport fan. But I sure get amused how irritated you get over threads you think are not appropriate. If publishable words (to quote you) escape you, oh good!!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM

A few, and all off field incidents:

As a child (probably about 9 years old), Bobby Castillo, a relief pitcher from the hometown L.A. Dodgers, paid a visit to my elementary school. I met him and got the autograph and a photo with him.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=castibo01

A couple years later, I met Fernando Valenzuela, pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers, when he made a special appearance at a fancy Mexican restaurant in the gain, got an autograph and photo.

Then six years ago, my wife and I were at the new international airport in Seoul, Korea, either coming or going from a 15 night tour of China. I could not believe my eyes, when who do I see? Jose Canseco! This was probably his first year out of MLB and, as it was late March/early April, I suspect that he was in Asia possibly looking to play professional ball there. I do think he did later hook up with a MLB team either that year or the next.

As far as actual games go, I saw Dennis Martinez of the Expos throw a perfect game against the Dodgers in Dodger Stadium and in my only visit to Wrigley Field, I saw Sammy Sosa hit two homers.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:21 PM

>>>A couple years later, I met Fernando Valenzuela, pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers, when he made a special appearance at a fancy Mexican restaurant in the gain, got an autograph and photo.<<<

Huh? Should read...

A couple years later, I met Fernando Valenzuela, pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers, when he made a special appearance at a fancy Mexican restaurant in the Los Angeles area, got an autograph and photo.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:21 AM
JJ5

Wow, Mike, you don't know what you started. Do you have several hours? I have lots of baseball stories from about 5 decades plus.

Some as quickly as I can:

A playoff game my oldest son pitched with a high fever for Little League playoffs. I had about 35 people in a 8" x 12" front room all pressuring me. I caved. He pitched 3 innings. We won. His best friend did hit the only run (homer) off of him for their score. There was about 5000 people watching from many suburbs. I still feel guilty.

nytraveler, the White Sox have OldTimer's days too. Right before the last days of the old stadium Comiskey, I saw Baines, N.Fox, Apparicio and others up close. I also saw and remember Roberto Clementa.

I remember being in the bleachers when a skinny, skinny, 160 lbs. fielder names Sammy Sosa threw me a ball. That same game he got a guy out with a long throw but I clearly saw a coach point to where he threw it. He was fast, but never knew where to throw and they would have coaches on the sides to direct him. He'd catch, look to the sides, throw. It was hysterical.

We've talked to these in person: Frank Thomas, Carlton Fiske (several times, and I was in the same salon getting my hair cut next to him in the late '80's- he's usually very crabby- not friendly),Jon Garland, BlackJack Mcdonogh (sp?),Harold Baines, Paul Konerko, and be still my heart, my all time favorite White Sox hero- Robin Ventura. A CA boy who is forever a White Sox icon as far as I'm concerned. I was there on a night when it was 101 degrees and he hit a game winning grand slam and we were outside for an hour whooping in the parking lot afterwards.

I was AT the game when Ozzie Guillen broke his leg/ankle so badly. We were once again in the bleachers and when they both ran into each other behind second base- I knew it was really, really bad right away. His leg was at an impossible angle.

But my very favorites are all of the last 3 years. Who would have thunk it?????? My son Tom and I were at the recent 20 to 2 game. We had smoke in our clothes, hair from the fireworks for days afterwards. We got up and down so many times, it was like a workout.

And I was there with 1.75 million other people to watch them come down LaSalle. I was virtually at the platform at LaSalle & Wacker and watched helicopters flying between the buildings, people hanging off and out of everything, and the el come to a stop with the banners, etc. and Mark Burhele raised his shirt for my DIL so she could see his chest.

I also travel to see baseball. I'm a bit past 1/2 way to all the existing ball parks. Next year will be Baltimore, and hopefully Seattle, also Minnesota for sure.

8/28: My prediction- Detroit will falter and MN will win the Central Div. with the White Sox winning the wild card. Mark my words.

All the N. League teams don't stand a chance in the Series this year, by the way.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:32 AM
GoTravel

My girlfriend who lives in Atlanta used to be the paralegal for the lawyer who represents a lot of the Atlanta Braves (both Halle Berry and Dave Justice when they were married) and he gave us his front row third base seats for one of the Braves vs. Phillies games.

My girlfriend invited a date (she had just bought a new car and he sold it to her) so it was me, my two girlfriends, and the new date.

He picks us up and they start bickering. He also has tickets for the game so they start fighting over who has the better seats.

This is for the old Fulton County Stadium.

Turns out his mom is Ted Turners assistant and she gave us Ted's seats for the game since Ted was away.

WooHoo! We have the best seats in the stadium!

So, I spent a memorable afternoon at Fulton County Stadium in Ted Turner's seats! A photographer from the associated press took photos of us just in case we were famous. He took us out in Buckhead that night and I got to spend the evening dancing with then pitcher Steve Avery!

The associated press photographer mailed me the photos and they are just the coolest pictures.

So that is my baseball story.

Oh, and the Braves won. Ron Gant hit a home run. Braves 1 Phillies 0.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:32 AM
GoTravel

PS I've never been able to go back to a game. How do you sit in nose bleed when you've had the best?

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
JJ5

Oh I forgot (maybe because it was so sad) the last night at Old Comiskey. After so many songs, fireworks, etc. I will never, ever forget the silence when 40,000 just sit there and refuse to leave. I never heard that before and will probably never hear it again.
Quiet, very un-basepark-like. Grown men crying. No lines to get out. Just everyone sat awhile without talking.

I know, you have to be a baseball person to "get it".
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I don't like baseball, never have. And I agree with rb (and I'm ducking now to escape the onslaught of the coming attack! ) There are plenty of sports related sites, and on this VERY site, yes Fodor's, there is a place called Other Topics...why not post something like this there?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
JJ5

GT, I've had the best in the house, but can go back in a mini-second. Actually sometimes I like seats
cheaper seats better.

My son had 4 tickets last Friday night in the 300 person section behind home plate at U.S. Cellular Field. It was a raffle prize from his church, but he also gets corp. tickets that are ALMOST as good.

This is just part of what you get for $180 per person per game seat there: 4 to 6 hours of catered dinner (you come before and can order anything from the Lettuce Entertain U restaurant corps- my Granddaughter had prime rib, son Maggiano's and DIL had some ribs- plus a buffet, all the drinks of any kind you want and that goes for any number of them- all in your own suite). You park near the door, no charge, you get a personal "section" aid to run for snacks, but they also give you access to popcorn, ice cream, gelato, nut tree machines/stations. They come by in the 7th inning and give you all hot dogs. It just goes on and on.

And still we love baseball so much that the very next week we will be in the 16th row of the upper, upper deck. WHICH by the way, is not bad and altogether lower than other stadiums, does not make me dizzy at all.

But it's about the game to me. GO FIGURE! But then I do get fussy and LOVE THE WHITE SOX WOMEN's rooms. They've even been "in the movies" twice.

I find that there are lots and lots of non-baseball people in the best seats because someone prized them, or handed them tickets as perks. In one way this seems so UNAMERICAN, but in another way SO AMERICAN.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Note to rb - I'm not a baseball fan, so I pretty much skipped this thread. Scanned it just now to see if I saw anything interesting and enjoyed GoT's post.

Wow! How easy is that!?!?! Ignore a post completely if I'm not interested in the topic OR read it if I think I may have some interest as the thread develops.

So easy! No flaming or lectures required by this non-baseball fan.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM

MikeBuckley ~ your story is lovely. I am a huge sports fan and with every baseball game I both fear and wish for that ball to our way. And to think you caught the ball with a lemonade in your other hand! Well done!

rb traveler ~ There are so many other things in this world to be concerned over. Why can't you just enjoy someone's story. I cannot imagine how someone could read MikeBuckley's story and not be grinning ear to ear. People travel all over our great country to ball games everywhere, how do you know this story did not inspire someone else to get to that game? Who made you the classroom monitor?
Give it a rest. This behavior is not good for your health.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:03 AM

MikeBuckley ~ Congrats on your foul ball! Baseball is terrific, isn't it?

Lots of memories, but the few that stand out for me:

1. Sitting in the Diamond Club at Angel Stadium (my mom got the tickets from the judge while she was on jury duty when my mom told her I was going to have to spend my birthday alone at an Angel's game - judge gave my mom her tickets to the game on Mother's Day that year!). While sitting there, a foul ball was hit back behind the plate and hit off the press and media booths and down into the stands right below us. It bounced around the seats and in and out of several hands before plopping (literally!) into my lap! The only foul ball I've ever got!

2. Managing to get seats to the Anaheim City Council Executive suite for the freeway series. It's a whole 'nother world in there! And while it was a different experience to be separate from the sprawling, teeming, sweating, drunken masses....I actually prefer sitting with my own kind.

3. Opening day. A party atmosphere. Hope for the new season. A new slate. Anything can happen. Excitement in the air! Gotta love it!

4. The first time I went to Spring Training. It's like Disneyland for grownups! To see the players up close and be able to chat with them is great. And to see the major leaguers play in smaller stadiums really brings baseball back to the basics. But the first time, when the whole experience is new is by far the best!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
JJ5

And Mike, I've witnessed close catches many times over the years, and my son's best friend got a Frank Thomas homer right next to me in the late '90's, but the only time I catch anything was with my leg standing at the top of a row waiting to come down once. The bruise lasted a good long time. I didn't even see it coming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -