Chicago Area Restaurant Recommendations

Oct 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Chicago Area Restaurant Recommendations

Hello-

I am looking for two different restaurant recommendations:

1. Are there any Mexican restaurants of note near the Oriental theatre? Going to see Wicked next month....

2. Want to get a thank you gift for an acquaintance who lives in Burr Ridge. Any Chicago suburbanites with a recommendation for a nice restaurant in that general area for which we can get a gift certificate??

Thanks!!
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Frontera Grill is a famous high-end Mexican restaurant in downtown Chicago, not exactly right by the Oriental theatre...but, a cab ride away. Great place. About $15 a plate.
Oct 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM
JJ5

Trattoria #10 is steps from the Oriental. Not Mexican, but nice. Check out their web site if the Mexican doesn't pan out. Northern Italian and elegant. Great butternut squash ravioli and other specialties of the house.

Lots of good restaurants in the Burr Ridge or Lagrange Pk area. LOTS AND LOTS. There's a great Mexican one in Berwyn which isn't far either. Lalos at 3011 S. Harlem.

Lagrange Park- 3 good ones:

Casa Margarita- Mexican (and a steak house also downstairs - I can't remember the name-GOOD)

Italian- Via Bella or Marconi's

These are all quite close to Burr Ridge.

Lalos is my favorite for the entire Western burbs. It is very casual and you get circus as well as bread.
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Are you doing pre- or post- theatre dining? Pre-theatre can be hectic given the time crunch. I would do pre-theater only at a restaurant very close to the Oriental AND if I had reservations. In that case, there is really no Mexican restaurant around the theater that would fit this bill.

If you'd like to eat really excellent Mexican, although you would have to go after the show or some other night, I would suggest Frontera Grill, which is about a 10 minute walk from the theater. However, it does not take reservations and the waits can be up to 2 hours. There is also Chilpancingo, which is about a 10 minute cab ride from the theater that is much less hectic.
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I should also add that my favorite pre-theatre restaurant is Petterino's, which does take reservations and is 1/2 block from the Oriental.
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM

According to their website, Frontera Grill accepts advance reservations for parties of 5-10 and same-day reservations for smaller parties.
Oct 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

We will have dinner pre-Wicked.

I was just thinking Mexican because my friend that I am going with is a bigger fan of Mexican than Italian.

I think we'll just pick a place nearby though.

Thanks!!
Oct 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
JJ5

For both I and the OP, aschie30, what is the price range at Petterino's?

I've been there, but it was not recently. It's the one in the Goodman Theater Complex, isn't it?

IMHO, Trattoria #10 is excellent for women. The salad choices and size portions, with the side dishes available are not overkill eating for before a show.

Wicked lasts three hours and it is FABULOUS. I have seen it twice and the second time with Ana and Kate in the starring roles was sublime.
Oct 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM

Petterino's is part of the Goodman complex. It generally serves steaks, seafood as well as lighter fare. Very '40s, Frank Sinatra-type vibe.

Price range is about between $10-35 per entree (steaks being on the higher end).

I'm there at least once a week for after-work drinks and/or to eat. Also, I'm a Goodman subscriber so I'm there pre-theater. I'm not a huge fan of Lettuce Entertain You restaurants, but I do like this one because it is convenient to the theaters and it's got a nice vibe.
Oct 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
JJ5

Thanks, I knew it was part of the Lettuce group- and I will definitely give it a try when I see HairSpray soon.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:14 AM

Cadgirl, would you have any interest in a restaurant which serves another cuisine other than Italian or Mexican? Don't get me wrong--the ones mentioned are fine; but, personally, I get rather tired of dining at Mexican or Italian restaurants.

One of the great things about living in Chicago is the wealth of choices.

If you have any interest, Golden Budha (Chinese steakhouse) is about 3.5-4 blocks to the west of the Ford Center for the Performing Arts (the Oriental), Aria in the Fairmont (international fusion) is a very short cab ride away and Russian Tea Time is 1/2 block west of the Art Institute on Adams. (Just in case you'd like to stop in at the Art Institute and then go to the theatre later.)

Just mentioning in case you have any interest.

P.S. Another suggestion about the thank you gift--not a restaurant though. You may know that the King Tut exhibit will be coming to Chicago next summer - how about an Art Institute membership and a couple of tickets to the exhibit (when they go on sale, of course--AI members can buy before the general public)? Probably in the range of what you would spend for the gift certificate and the benefits last a lot longer.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
JJ5

Golden Buddha is good. I tried it for lunch.
Oct 31st, 2005, 10:19 AM

Puerto Vallarta at Wells and Hubbard is good Mexican - no wait, casual, so-called "authentic" Mexican food, great margaritas. It's a short cab right from the theater. Frontera is okay too (not an enchiladas and burritos Mexican restaraunt), it will be busy, with a more lively atmosphere (Vallarta's a bit more intimate).

Don't know much about Burr Ridge...
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

We have a reservation for Petterino's prior to Wicked.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions (though I am still looking for a Burr Ridge restaurant....)