Chicago Questions

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Questions

I am going to be in Chicago the last weekend of October and I have a few questions I could use help with:

1. I'm staying at the Allerton Crowne Plaza at North Michigan - is this a good hotel? there is a seminar there I'm attending so the rate wasn't bad.

2. I'll need a dinner place around there for Friday and Saturday nights - any suggestions? I like all types of food - I would prefer not to break the bank, but if the food is good enough, it's worth it.

3. Suggestions for things to do Sunday am/pm - my plane leaves at 6:40 pm so I have some time - maybe a tour either bus or boat? any suggestions?

4. Any good chicago pizza in the vicinity?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
JJ5

Plug in the address of the Crowne Plaza at the restaurant guide in www.metromix.com and you will get some idea about distances etc.

Wicked is at the Ford Theatre for the Performing Arts and Saturday has a 2pm mantinee and an evening as well- if you can get tickets/ single or whatever- it's fantastic. Other shows are available, as are Halloween festivities-check out that on www.metromix as well.

Sunday might be nice for the Art Institute or the Shedd or an Architectural F. Tour.

If you search for N. Michigan Ave. and Chicago - you may get some good past threads on restaurants.

I could give you about 10 different restaurant req.'s but to get several posters to respond- please say what $$ level you prefer, if you want wine etc., bars with entertainment, a view & such on one the top floors, etc. What kind of formality do you want- or not at all.

There are a hundred good restaurants so your preferences are important. When with a group I love to do tapas. Are you dining with company or on a work schedule and want more single spots?
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Try frontera Grill for dinner. It's awesome!!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I live in Chicago. I recently posted some similiar answers to other posters. If you click on my name, you can find the ones on Chicago. There was a lot of good information in those posts from several posters that I think you will find helpful.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM

We're headed for Chicago week after next and have a late flight back as well. The New Orleans Jazz Brunch at Bistro 110 comes highly recommended and the menu is appealing, so that's what we're doing on Sunday.

You may want to consider the morning Segway tour. We did this is Paris and it was a blast, so we're really looking forward to this in Chicago.

We've also booked an Architecture River Tour.

Based on recommendations, we'll be at Osteria via Strato on Friday night and wander over to the Redhead Piano Bar after.

If you enjoy art, consider the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition.

We're still pondering dinner Saturday night, so I'm hoping you'll get some more recommendations.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks djk - I hope for a trip report - where did you book the segway tour and the architectural cruise - they both sound right up our alley.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM
JJ5

Chicago Architectural Foundation

www.architecture.org

Go to the tours and reserve ahead.

The river tour is more than some people like to hear as it is in depth but it is awesome. Hopefully they will never downgrade it.

If the river tour is closed the last weekend in October do one of the walking tours.

Chicago is a unique American style city. It's streets are wider and unlike Eastern cities, it's a grid/ Napoleanic numbering system, it's skyscrapers and buildings are stupendous. There is a VHS set you can get from PBS or your local library (interlibrary loan for little or no charge) or you could rent called "City of the Century".

If you view this first you will have better understanding of how this happened, and why it is unique.

From La Salle St. Station or any location more than a couple of blocks west from State- take a walk east toward the lake. You will be walking in a canyon of stone with the horizon line a blue line/edge. Everyone looks "in' from the lake to the lakefront, but IMHO the other view is as powerful and even more so at 6 blocks west of State.

Most of your views will be from the North end of things, so if you go to Art Institute or other venues more South try to do this walk. You may see some sights from movies you have seen at the same time. And a Picasso or Chagall structure or two.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM

We go to Chgo about twice a year. A restaurant we like for either lunch or dinner is called, I think, Grand Luxe Cafe. It is on Mich Ave not far from your hotel, on second floor over Ann Taylor store. Nicely decorated, good extensive menu, moderately expensive. If you get a table on the window you can overlook Mich AVe. We found it just after it opened and the next couple of times we returned there were long lines so it must be popular with locals
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone - any other thoughts? I looked up Osteria via Stato and it got mixed reviews. Is it still good? And do I have to eat with another group - do they have some tables for two?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:53 AM
JJ5

There are so many good ones downtown. I have heard Coco Pazzo is very good from
two very fussy people I know.

If you want very quiet and table for two- I like Trattoria #10 at 10 N.Dearborn. This is very close to most theatres and in LOOP. It is also great for lunch. They have good specials of the day and also there signature butternut squash ravioli.

IMHO, if your guy likes a steak- I would go with one of the good steak houses. The Saloon is tops in my book. Morton's is good, Ruth Chris is good, Gibbons etc. The last more formal and pricey.

You can bring up pizza and steak threads in the search function. Some other good places I have tried: Atwood Cafe, 312 Chicago, The Palm in the Swissotel. If you want a view or trendy that is another category.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM

We just returned - and Chicago was positively fabulous! In every way!

We started off with the Architecture River Cruise (booked online). Highly recommend booking ahead...tours fill up quickly early in the day (most booked fully ahead of time), lots of flights of steps down to ticket office and dock, where next available tour may be hours off (or, even, the next day) and it's a HIKE back up those stairs! When we boarded at 11AM, and there were droves of folks waiting for afternoon times.

We saved (also booked online) the Segway tour for Saturday. Awesome! Positively awesome! Incredible way to enjoy the waterfront, parks, views of the magnificent skyline, and Buckingham Fountains in particular. Touring all about on a Segway could NOT be easier or more enjoyable! A blast!

Highly recommend a visit to Navy Pier. Pay no attention to the "touristy" admonitions. With all there was to see and do, I had not included this in our tentative itinerary, but after our Segway Tour, the evening weather was SO nice, we decided to spend it somehow outdoors, enjoying the spectacular scenery all about, so cancelled our dinner reservations at Cite (not feeling like returning to our hotel to "dress" for dinner anyway) with its "upscale" food and views (and lofty prices, not that we minded, to match). We took a bus (with a transfer on State Street) from the planetarium to Navy Pier, planning just to take a ride around on the bus. But we got off, and were able to hop on a soon to depart lake cruise. Sensational! There are many restaurants (outdoor seating open due to the warm temps) with magnificent views of the skyline...but we opted for Chicago hot dogs, coffee, and ice cream, which we enjoyed outdoors (with, again, magnificent views of the skyline), followed by a terrific ride on the ferris wheel. For sure, I'd guess much of the pier (along with the outdoor seating) had extended opening hours due to the stretch of summer weather during our visit.

Today (our last day with a 7PM flight), on our way to Bistro 110 for the jazz brunch (and we were an hour ahead of schedule), we opted instead to return (more on this later) to Mike Ditka's for brunch (for the positively incredible Maryland Crab Cakes). Then, just a block or two over, we decided to hop on the double decker bus tour. For sure, the very best way (even better than the river boat) to enjoy the architecture and scenery all about. We opted for the two hour all about (no reboarding) tour - all we had time for. The tour guide/commentary could not have been more informative/also quite amusing!

As for dining - we found that you can hardly go wrong in Chicago (reminded us of Montreal and Toronto). From North Michigan (we did not find the dining all that appealing along Michigan), there is fabulous dining along the side streets, Rush, State..., or just wander all about the Loop!

Back to Mike Ditka's - I presumed this to be a "touristy", sports bar (which is definitely is, but understatedly so) sort of place. We wandered in on the way "home" to the hotel one night for the "Frank Sinatra guy" (who was sensational). We met lots of folks and enjoyed ourselves (along with the performance) enormously! The (extensive) menu here could not be more appealing (same goes for the prices). WONDERFUL food. (The sensational "chopped salad" is served as a "side" with many offerings.) Moderate prices. Exceptionally friendly, attentive, efficient, service. We returned for brunch of Saturday, and again on Sunday, for the food and wonderful atmosphere (and I am no sports bar aficionado, nor is my husband). This is one very well done place (several rooms, levels).

I could not have been more impressed that, in Chicago, you can find fabulous food and atmosphere all about, at quite moderate prices. We were also thrilled with the Atwood Cafe (enjoyed lunch there), though it's best to reserve ahead.

Same goes for pizza! There is fabulous pizza all about. One day, we were looking for a bus stop, and hungry after a late breakfast, but before way dinnertime. We asked someone along the way where the bus stop was - and they said, "And, if you're looking for good pizza - a block and a half down on the other side..." Can't remember the name of the place, but it was fabulous pizza! By the slice, and just the perfect stop along the way!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Everyone here has good ideas. I saw the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit over the weekend and it was excellent. Not just T-L's work but the whole late 1800's/early 1900's Montmartre scene was featured. Who knew Piscasso actually could paint? I'd highly recommend it for anyone with any interest in art.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the update djkbooks! which segway tour did you book? also, did you go to Osteria via Strato? how was it?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM

I booked with http://www.citysegwaytours.com/chicago/ which is the same outfit we used in Paris.

Apparently, there is one or more others...we passed a group with a leader and three others with a slightly different name (don't recall exact name).

Didn't make it to Osteria via Strato (had too large a lunch too late), but did walk by. Place is lovely with fabulous outdoor seating. Menu that day was quite appealing.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM

I know the other company that does Segway tours - they're called Segway Experience of Chicago and they're great, too. I chose them becuase they're the dealer in town - they really know segway. i was really nervous about going on thistour, but my husband and daughter really wanted to go, and we chose the guys who we thougth might be the best at training - and they were great. Also a fun guide. Highly recommend them to anyone.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM

P.S. I found the website of Segway Experience of Chicago - aka Chicago Segway Tours - at www.mysegwayexperience.com. Hope that helps!