chicago - i need info

Search

chicago - i need info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicago - i need info

My husband is running a triathalon in Chicago in August and I am the supporting wife. I know absolutely nothing about Chicago. The triathalon hotel is the Hilton Chicago on S. Michigan Avenue for $165/night. Is this a good/decent location? Any good restaurant recs - we especially like Italian, Mexican, Chinese/Japanese? Comedy club suggestions. Scenic/historic areas/unique architecture? A What is the best way to get from O'Hare to the Hilton Chicago? ny info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM

One restaurant recommendation is Fogo de Chao on N. LaSalle. It is a Brazillain steak house. Food is really good and fun/different atmosphere. The servers are dressed like Brazillian cowboys and serve meat on swords. Only go if you like meat, obviously.

We like Giordano's for pizza, the hotel can tell you which location is closest.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM

There are a lot of shuttles to downtown. Roundtrip costs are about $30. Millenium Park and the Art Institute are within easy walking distance and so is the Cultural Center (with a Tiffany Dome). The Field Museum is also within walking distance. The original Marshall Fields (now Macy's) is on Washington and State. There are a lot of restaurants on State Street and quite a few on South Michigan.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM

You can catch the Blue Line from O'Hare into the city. Follow the signs from the baggage level that say "CTA Trains to City." It will take about 45 minutes and costs $2. Depending on the time of day you're arriving, it can be faster than a shuttle that would sit in traffic.

If you'll be using public transit for other things while you're here, you can buy a visitor pass which allows unlimited rides. They start at $5 for a 1-day pass. Check www.transitchicago.com for complete info and maps.

Take the Blue Line to Jackson. From there, it's about 5-6 blocks to your hotel. You can walk east on Jackson to Michigan, then turn right on Michigan or you can catch a cab for only a couple dollars.

The Hilton is near the south end of Grant Park. You'll be close to the Art Institute, Field Museum (Natural History), Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium. In addition to Field's/Macy's on State, you can also stroll up Michigan to the Magnificant Mile and window shop through Tiffany's Saks, Bloomingdale's and dozens of other stores.

Chicago has fantastic architecture and is the birthplace of the modern skyscraper. The Chicago Architecture Foundation has 90-min river tours that are excellent. They leave from the SE corner of Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive. For the schedule, as well as walking tours that are available, check www.architecture.org.

Although I think it's terribly touristy, head to Navy Pier just to get great views of the city. Resist the urge to eat there because you can get better meals for less money elsewhere.

For good Italian, Rosebud on Rush is about a mile north of the Hilton at Rush and Superior. Italian Village is about a 10-min walk on Monroe and Dearborn.

If you'll be here more than one evening, head to the lounge on the 96th Floor of the Hancock Building for a drink one eve. If you go around 9:00 or so, you can watch the sun set over the city.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
JJ5

www.metromix.com for more restaurant choices.

Frontera Grill and Topalabamba (sp?) are Rick Bayless Mexican and worth trying. Frontera is less pricey.

Ditka's is fun. Depending upon your price ranges and levels of "service" etc. there are probably 50 to 100 good restaurants between where you are and the Northern edges of River North/ and N. Michigan Ave. to the Water Tower locations.

All of these are a lovely, but rather long, stroll in summertime away. You can take free trolley's in summer also between some of these features mentioned.

In restaurants the ones designated Loop will be closer to you than River North or North Michigan Ave/Water Tower.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Just the info I am looking for. Looks like we'll have a nice time; just hope the weather is bearable.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM

I second the recommendation for Topolobampo. Pricey, but worth it. Frontera Grill (sister restaurant attached to Topolo) is less expensive but also excellent.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM

You're going to LOVE Chicago!!!

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM

I've eaten at several different Italian restaurants in downtown Chicago, and my favorite is Rosebud on Rush. It's the best Italian in my opinion.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM
JJ5

There are many good Italian in all prices ranges and some are downtown in Chicago. La Francesca group are my favorite. I've heard raves about Coco Pazzo (sp?)near Michigan Ave.

There's a huge price range, so you might want to check out that aspect before going to a Nobu or Gibson's etc. There's a steak house not far from your lodging called The Saloon- google that if interested. Excellent.

If you have time by yourself, I like a walk (close to Hilton)or stroll up the elevators at the Harold Washington Library. The old Library is now the Cultural Center- worth a stop too and LOOP easy. google addresses.

The H.Washington has different colored marbles and ends with a big room on the top- great for a little rest as well.

If you have any time in the afternoon alone or at night with husband extra, do try to get Wicked tickets. Our guys liked it, and our women loved it. Also Buddy Guy's for jazz is really packed now, but you could try.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Jill, well, you might know nothing now about Chicago; but, once you get here, I predict that you'll feel right at home. The natives are friendly, as a rule.

No guarantees on the weather in August. Could be extremely hot/muggy or nice. But that's Chicago for you!

Agree with the suggestion for the Chicago Architecture Foundation - and, most specifically, do the River Cruise. Take a look at their website for the full details. You'll be staying very close to their location in the historic Sante Fe Building, by the way.

Other places you might want to explore: The Rookery Building; a tour of the Auditorium Theatre; a walk north on Astor Street up to North Avenue (in the Gold Coast) with a return walk south on State Street; take in a performance at the Biograph Theatre which has just had a $11 million renovation (John Dillinger was killed in the alleyway right behind it); enjoy some jazz at the Green Mill in Uptown; Millennium Park - and take in a free concert (if you are able) at the Frank Gehry Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

Scenic: take a walk through Lincoln Park (the park). Take a walk along the lakefront walking, biking, riding path - or maybe you'd both like to take a guided bike tour (such as Bobby's Bike Hike). And, if you are here for more than just a few days, would recommend that you take a little side trip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens.

You might want to check if there are any tours of Wrigley Field when you are here - or you might want to take in a game. Take a look at the Chicago Cubs website for details.

Comedy clubs. Second City for improv and also I/O on the north side. Zanies for stand-up.

Have fun while you are here!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM

Italian-my favorites in the downtown area are Carmine's (one of the Rosebud restaurants)which is similar to Rosebud on Rush and I've only eaten at Volare once but I thought the food was good and reasonably priced.

Mexican-not a lot of good choices in the downtown area, Frontera Grill and Topolabampo are your best bets but are more expensive than a typical Mexican restaurant and a little more gourmet than enchiladas and tacos.

Chinese-hop on the red line el to the Chinatown stop (about 10 minutes from the city center). I almost always go for dim sum at lunchtime, my current favorite is Shiu Wah located in the Chinatown Square mall

Comedy-Second City (get tickets in advance), the improv shows are fun too, there's IO and Comedy Sportz.

Architecture/historic-the architecture river cruise is the best way to see a lot, the Chicago Architecture Foundation cruise is usually cited as the best. You might also take a look at Pullman, a historic area to the south of the city center, you can get there via Metra train.
http://www.pullmanil.org/

Or Prairie Avenue, a stretch of old mansions where the rich folk lived back around the turn of the century.
http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/P/...eDistrict.html

Another spot is Graceland Cemetery which is where many important Chicagoans are buried, some of the monuments are really something to see
http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/graceland/
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
tmh

Here's where you can let the city take yyou around: http://www.chicagoneighborhoodtours.com/

They meet at the cultural Ctr and include a bus trip to various destinations.

However, there are many free lakefront activites in the summer that could be going on - check out the City wensite...free jazz festivals, blues, irish (although I think that's in Sept), dance lessons and band, etc.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM

You might also contact the Chicago Greeters, they give free tours of neighborhoods in Chicago but they have to be set up in advance

www.chicagogreeter.com
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
dgg

Citylights, exilted princess and kristi offered excellent advice and they're right on with all the info. Remember, Chicago has some of the best authentic ethnic and street food around. Don't miss the italian beef, indian food (Devon Street), Chicago style hot dogs, etc. These are a lot of fun place to check out for lunch.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think this will be a really fun trip - one I wasn't expecting to ever make.