Chicago hotels: Seneca or Tremont

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I was looking at the Hyatt, Westin hotels. But after checking the rates I CHANGED MY MIND! I was really looking for something in the michigan ave/mag mile area and after doing some searches on the board and quickbook I came across the seneca and tremont hotels at reasonable rates (under $110). I would like to get some opinions about what you recommend and why? The main thing is, I am into more modern, contemporary hotels...they are the most clean..dont really know about these! And of course I want to be around dining, shopping, and other attractions. Thank you guys for your help!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Have you checked the Amalfi? It's a few blocks awya from Mich Ave -- but I've seen them offer very reasonable rates on Quikbook, etc. It's a very nice hotel and fits the decor you're looking for.

Rates will totally depend on when you're going. We'll be there next week -- the 17th - 21st. I don't know what's going on -- convention, maybe? But the rates are outrageous -- even the Courtyard was $229.00 per night!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Check out this article from Budget Travel. They cover both those hotels and more:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5561200/
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Priceline might not work for you if you are particular about your hotel but I'd still recommend at least checking it out to see what people are getting for what rates and see if the options are tolerable.

The Tremont and Seneca are listed in the 2 1/2 star category on biddingfortravel along with Residence Inn and Courtyard, recent bids in those categories are around $50 per night
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:41 AM

My understanding is that the Seneca rooms are good-sized, but pretty tired. You can't beat the location, though. Stayed at the Tremont (on Priceline) last year. Was ok for the price, but certainly doesn't meet your "modern" criteria. Quite a small room, only one elevator. Also on Priceline, we got the Marriott Residence Inn (east of Michigan near Walton). It was great!
I would never bother paying full price for a Michigan Avenue hotel - not when you can do so well on Priceline in the neighborhood of $50. (Don't forget, if you are driving, to factor in $20-30/day for parking.)