Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE - HOTEL IN CHICAGO AFTER THANKSGIVING

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Cheryl

I have tried to book a hotel in Chicago (around N Michigan) after Thanksgiving and it seems there are no good deals. Been on to 16 discount sites and no luck so far. Want to stay at a NICE hotel but can't afford 3 nights at over 200 right now. I'm going to call hotels directly and ask for Entertainment/AAA discounts or lowest prices.

What are the sites that people have the best luck with? When (how much before the day of arrival)? Any other ideas? THANKS!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:02 PM
bonjour

You may well have difficulty if you are looking for a hotel in Chicago December 1-6, 2002. The Radiological Society of North America meetings will attract thousands to the city during thse days.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Richard

Check out the Hampton Inn downtown, got stuck one night without a res. and they had a couple of cancels at 6:00pm

I was real impressed with it and it was about 125/night. They will put you on a wait list if you ask.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 01:11 AM
BTilke

The RSNA (the full named mentioned above) has an agreement with Chicago to take up about 85% to 90% of city hotel rooms the week after Thanksgiving for its annual meeting (the largest medical convention in the world). Anyone planning to travel to Chicago during that time period needs to book WAY in advance or wait til the last minute, hoping for cancelations.
The nicer hotels (Hyatt level and above) are among the first to fill up, with company exhibitors and physician attendees. The least expensive hotels often get taken by international attendees on a tight budget.
I have heard there are some vacancies at the Allegro and the Hilton Garden Inn. (The RSNA rate for the Allegro is $189; for the HGI, $159, so those are the rates you'll be working from.)
Be advised that some hotels have rules that don't let you check in on Sunday during the RSNA week. I don't know why--I've asked individual hotels and the RSNA itself about that and never got a clear answer.
The good thing is that you will probably find a room in your price range, but it can be an exhausting search. I have had last minute luck with www.quikbook.com, but their rates aren't that low for RSNA week.
Good luck!
BTilke
P.S. All these convention people in town means restaurants get booked up, too. So either reserve at your favorite places ASAP or opt for restaurants that don't take reservations, except for larger groups (aka Bistro 110, etc.)

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
Dan

Try hotrooms.com they are realiable and usually have good rates.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
joebob

you might be SOL, I checked a bunch of sites. I hear that Ohare is nice this time of year.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:12 PM
Fed

I like the Holiday Inn.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
ttt

top it off

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
ttt

top this off

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Bob

If you are still looking (I know this is late), I just got an $89 room at the Congress Plaza Hotel on Michigan Avenue. This was even $10 cheaper than what we paid at the same place 3 years ago.