Chicago Hotel

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hotel

Can anyone tell me about Hotel 71 in Chicago? Any advice/comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:27 AM

It was very recently renovated - used to be the Executive House. Location is on the river, at Wacker and East South Water St., convenient to Michigan Avenue, River North and the Loop. The previous renovation enclosed the balcony space, so many of the rooms are larger than average.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have anything else to say about Hotel 71? Is it nice/chic or just another business traveler hotel. I'd be very interested to know.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Look at the last page inside of the March 2003 Conde Nast Traveler mag. Ours just came today and not 5 min ago I pointed out to my husband the picture of the Hotel 71 and said I had not heard of it before but it looks like a great location, and reasonably priced, for Chicago.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:22 PM

It's not just another business hotel, they are going for a modern, slightly funky feel. Many of the rooms have nice views of the river, but I'd pick other hotels first. I can't be sure, but the building appears to be from the 50's or 60's, cheap ugly metal structure. I'm sure it would be fine, but don't pay a lot.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:45 PM

I currently live in the 'burbs of Chicago but used to live and work in downtown Chicago. The location of the hotel is great but I honestly haven't seen the inside to tell you what they've done to it. The original one was probably built in the 60' s like someone else said.

You mentioned chic. The HOT hotel in town is the new Sofitel, very hip. But it's about one mile from Hotel 71 towards the northern end of Michigan Avenue not far from Oak Street. Great location as well.

Hotel Monaco is cool. I just checked it out a few months ago. It is located near Hotel 71. Hotel Burnham is very cool located right near the grand dame Marshall Field's State Street Store. And finally the Loews House of Blues Hotel is very cool and quite the scene.

I almost forgot about the 2 "W" hotels. The one on Adams is in the business district and the one on Lake Shore is of course on the lake. I've been to both for cocktails after work and the lobby is like being in a nightclub.

Enjoy!!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:56 PM

The Hotel 71 is definitely going for a modern feel. The previous comment about the Sofitel was right on the money. I've stayed at both and if I had a choice I would stay at the Sofitel in a heartbeat. As far as 71, the location is good, but the soundproofing is terrible. I could hear every word spoken in the hallway while I was laying in bed. It was so bad that I almost thought they were standing in my room. Other than that, it was a fine hotel (7 out of 10).