Chicago hotel advice requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Six 50-something ladies from around the country meeting in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend. We're looking for a nice hotel in a convenient location (convenient to what we really don't know as we haven't been there) for about $125-130 per room, per night, tax inclusive, for two to a room.

We are a bit apprehensive about booking online through a service like Priceline, but may wind up doing it as the reports here are making it awfully appealing.

In San Antonio we stayed in a Victorian B&B in the historic district and loved it. Any ideas of where to stay in Chicago that might offer modern conveniences and charm? One place that looked good online is the Hotel Monaco. Any opinions? Is Labor Day Weekend a busy time for hotels or will they be anxious to fill their rooms?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Topping -- I'm hoping someone knows enough about Chicago to offer advice.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM
GoTravel

The Motel 6 took over some beautiful old building right off the Mag Mile (N.Michigan Avenue) that is right in the middle of shopping and dining. The lobby is beautiful. The location is excellent. I had to pick up a colleague there and she got a $99 a night rate, loved it, and was on the 14th floor.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Priceline will actually give you some great prices, just make sure you click the Mag Mile or River North area. The Intercontinental Hotel is good, just stayed there in Septemeber 03. Anywhere on the Mag Mile or along the river is nice. Take it from me, I live and work in Chicago.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
GoTravel

I'm sorry, it was the Best Western and not the Motel 6. I did just get off the phone with her and she said it was the Best Western on East Ohio NOT the one on West Ohio.

Great location!

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:22 AM

I just booked a hotel via Priceline last night for the first time and I got a great deal in San Fran.

As for Chicago, the Mag. Mile area is fantastic, lots of shops, restaurants, etc. and the hotels are very nice. I wouldn't recommend renting a car, parking can be difficult if you're not used to Chicago driving. Also most of the museums are only a short cab ride away.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:34 AM

A great boutique hotel is the Hotel Burnham. It's across the street from Marshall Fields on State street and a little south of the heart of the shopping but very close to the Art Institute, walkable to the museum campus and Michigan Ave. shopping. Great lake/Grant Park/Millenium Park access.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Labor Day isn't a busy weekend downtown, but the traffic getting into and out of the city can be horrendous.

Regarding hotels, take a look at choosechicago.com and other travel guides to see how you plan to spend your time. Most likely, hotels in the Loop or North Michigan Avenue would be most convenient. You aren't going to find a small, charming BnB in these areas, but there are many lovely hotels, and the market is overloaded, so that deals can be had. I would wait until a month or two before your trip and shop around for a good deal. If you want to make a backup reservation, look at the Renaissance or Palmer House Hilton in the Loop; Tremont, Best Western and Holiday Inn in North Michigan area. If you can divide into two groups of three, suite hotels such as the Omni, Fitzpatrick or Doubletree may be affordable.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Jun20

Last month, I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel and we thought it was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was very large. Two queens, love seat and chair, plus table desk, big entertainment center, large bathroom --and there were 2 adults and 3 children. (And when we requested a rollaway, there was no charge.)

We did not have a view room - didn't expect one with the rate I received. However, to walk out and see the River and not feel confined, was great.

The concierge gave us a map of the area with two circles indicating everything within five and ten minutes walking time. Simply perfect. The Hancock Building was just past the 10 minute circle, but seemed shorter. "Everything" was very convenient from this location (State and Wacker Dr).

I know you will have a great time!!!

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM

I always stay at the Omni on Michigan Ave. It's an all suite hotel. If you book now your rate should be great. It's a great location.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM

We stayed at the Homewood Suites recently. It is very close to the Magnificent Mile, and everything is within walking distance or a short cab ride away. Good hotel!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Bo

For the rates you're seeking in think Priceline or Hotwire may be your only option.

If your aprehensive about Priceline, maybe Hotwire would be better for you since there's no bidding involved and you can often figure out the hotels beforehand by the zone, amenity, and star rating.

Go to www.BetterBidding.com for help with either Priceline or Hotwire and they'll walk you thru the whole process and answer any questions you have.