Where to stay in Chicago?

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Chicago?

We hope to spend 4 days in Chicago in mid May next year.It is our first visit to the city so please can anyone suggest hotels for us?We want to be within easy walking distance of the sights and public transport as my husband can't walk as far as he used to!We usually prefer B&Bs but most of those seem to be further out.
We liked the look of The Willows Hotel.Does anyone know anything about it and how near it is to public transport?
Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM

We stayed at Homewood Suites, which is convenient to sights and transport. We liked the separate bedroom, mini-kitchen, breakfast, and light supper on Mon-Thu.
There are many restaurants and a supermarket nearby.

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM

The Flemish House is is a great B&B and perfect location for sights, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, taxis, public transportation, the lakefront, etc.

http://www.chicagobandb.com/

I live 2 blocks from there and you cannot beat the location. Plus, it's very pretty and reasonably priced.

Other than that, you might like The Tremont:

http://www.tremontchicago.com/

Good location, nice small hotel, helpful staff, etc.

Have sent friends and family to both The Tremont and Flemish House with great response.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
JJ5

Chicago Heather's rec is very good.

Also do a search on this website for Chicago hotel or Chicago B&B as there are literally 100's just downtown or into the Northern reaches of Michigan Ave.

Staying in a B&B within Chicago is unusual, IMHO- but it also might be a very good and different way to feel a neighborhood of this city too, which few tourists ever even approach.

Chicago is so gynormus is area, that you should look at a map, and try to decide if you want to stay, downtown/loop, Michigan Ave/River, or north in Lincoln Park etc. first, IMHO.

May is a nice time to visit. ethne, since you DH isn't a real long walker, I would be apprehensive about staying outside of the areas listed above, myself. I walk immensely when I am downtown, to tell you the truth. Chicago has bus and el but you still do walk. It's huge in comparison to a place like S. F., for instance.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM

It's too early to use it now, but I have always gotten great hotels in Chicago using Priceline. Bid on 4* Loop or Michigan Avenue. It is very easy to get around Chicago.

Look at www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com for help with bidding and to see what hotels are available.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM

How does the Flemish House compare with Hotel 71? Does anyone know both properties?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone for your helpful replies.Flemish House sounds exactly what we are wanting.I have been in touch with them but they won't take any bookings for May 2009 till December 2008!Is this common practice?
I have never used any of the bidding sites so maybe should have a look at them.
Thanks again.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:01 AM
JJ5

ethne, do a search hear under my JJ5- click on that and scroll down until you get to a post of last week- or may 10 days ago- when I detailed Priceline bids and other options in a very fast way to get the best rooms in Chicago for about 1/3rd to 1/2 of what their rack rates are.

You are treated no different from any other guest- the places are exactly the same. The difference is that you don't know the exact name and your credit card it billed on the spot and you can not cancel it.

The poster followed my directions without knowing anything about Priceline and got her same original $252 a day reservation for $119 a day- same dates, same place, same everything- but it was billed now for Oct. and she can't cancel.

Hotel 71 is very nice and extremely modern/sleek. You sound like you want what you want and that will change your bidding risk tolerance- but if you stay 4 star you can't go wrong in Chicago, IMHO.

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
JJ5

The thread had "visiting U. of Chicago" in the title and was posted by Kflodin.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Chicago Heather:

Have they finally remodeled the Tremont? We stayed there about 5 or 6 years ago and it was in dire need of redoing. Talking with the folks at Ditka'a the last few years, they were not aware of any remodeling.

We now always stay at The Talbott around the corner. Very nice.

Curious
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
JJ5

Looking at Flemish Houses's site- I wonder about the walking factor and what you are doing.

If I was visiting Chicago for the first time, I certainly wouldn't stay that far North on the Gold Coast. If you are driving to Chicago, the parking there will be $$ and not available from that establishment.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM

From your post, I can tell you prefer B&B's. I've never stayed at a B&B property in Chicago, but in June, I did stay at the Hilton Hotel on the Magnificent Mile, directly across from Grant Park. The room I had was beautiful, had a sink and a small refrigerator, and had an absolutely stunning view of the marina, the Navy Pier in one direction and the museums in the opposite direction. The service, IMO, was excellent. The stop for the free trolley that will take you around to all or most of the downtown attractions, is right across the street.

The only thing to remember is that if you're driving, the charge for parking your vehicle is steep. If I'm not mistaken, the price for parking is around $30-$35/night.

Whatever your choice of hotel, you will like Chicago - take a jacket with you, though. Even though it will be May when you travel, it can still get cool, especially in the evenings...
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM

ethne, sorry, I haven't been online lately as I'm getting ready for my own little "Wild, Wild West" adventure beginning next week.

I understand your preference for B&Bs entirely. You definitely can identify more thoroughly with a locale than when you are staying in an impersonal hotel (although IMHO smaller inns are fine, too). I myself will be staying at B&Bs in Albuquerque (side trip to Sante Fe) and Flagstaff during the little trip I mentioned above.

With all due respect to others, it would be my recommendation for you to stay at the Flemish House of Chicago. If you don't believe me, just look at the glowing reviews of the place on TripAdvisor - and there are photos, too.

This B&B is literally in one of the best areas of the entire city. They don't call the neighborhood the Gold Coast for nuttin'.

It's located only 3.5 blocks northwest of the top of the Magnificent Mile - where you can easily pick up public transportation to any of the major attractions. It's only a couple of blocks west of the beaches and Lake Michigan. It's about 1/2 block east of N. Rush Street for the dining and entertainment options. If you wanted to walk to the Old Town, River North or Lincoln Park neighborhoods, you're only a few blocks away.

You should be aware, though, that this is more of an apartment type B&B. Just so you are not expecting one type and find another.

You are correct in that most B&Bs are located in neighborhoods further away from the central portion of Chicago. You could always look at the VRBO website for rentals but it wouldn't be the B&B type of experience.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM

I agree, exiled. I think the location is terrific. To me, really there is a ten to twenty block range near the mag mile that would work fine. I love the Gold Coast. I'll probably stick with the Hotel 71 for my upcoming trip becauses of price (got a great rate of about $150) and most rooms at Flemish are about $200. And, it's only me. I would splurge if SO or DS were with me. Ethne, Flemish sounds right up your alley.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I haven't seen the rooms, but I've heard good things about the Willow, which I used to live near. It's in a great neighborhood, near numerous bus lines and a few blocks from the brown line stop at Diversey. It's in the Lincoln Park neighborhood and, obviously, near the park itself. The Art Institute and Millenium Park about two, three blocks from the red line subway (state/lake) or L stop at Randolph (I believe), with the museum campus (the Field, aquarium and planetarium) on the south end of Grant Park. Closest train stop is at Roosevelt, which is a bit of a hike. Getting to the Science Museum would be difficult from Lincoln Park.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I think that we'll probably go for the Flemish House even though they won't take bookings till December.B&B in one room there is $155 plus tax.Is that about 15%? We were quoted $160 B&B plus tax at the Willows.Those prices seem quite good.Our budget can't rise much higher much as we would like to!!!
Thanks to everybody for your help.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
JJ5

I think it is around 17% added tax- but I could be wrong. Parking is the real crux $$$ added, IMHO.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

Curious, sorry ... hadn't been on to see your note. They haven't really remodeled at The Tremont (I like The Talbott, too), but have "spruced" it up enough where it's regained some of its charm. We stayed there for years when I was growing up. The rooms are okay, but could do with a major once-over. It still holds a lot of (probably just being too sentimental) charm for me as more old-school Chicago.

Have you seen the Intercontinental since it's major revamp? Very nice, but that's what $30 or $40 million should get you.