Search

Chicago Hotel 71

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hotel 71

Have any of you had any recent experience with Hotel 71 in Chicago? We are planning a trip to Chicago for July 2008 and right now we can book an air/hotel package to stay at Hotel 71 and the price is unbelievably low. I have seen both horrible and wonderful comments about this property and it looks like maybe it is in the middle of serious renovation (that may be done by next summer?). I am tempted to grab it at this price but a voice keeps telling me "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." Anyone have any thoughts about this hotel? Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM

People visiting me from out of town stayed there, and it seemed very nice. The room was very big, and it's in a good location.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM

It's a great locaton! You would be about half way between Millineum park and the shopping of Mich. ave. Plus, the river is right outside your door. Even if the room isn't "great", (I've never stayed at this hotel as 71, but did in 1994 when it was Executive hotel) The location is great.

Wow, you are planning way ahead for a US location!

Chicago is a great city, so pretty at night!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I know it is way early to be booking - we are just in the planning stage. But, when I started looking at prices and packages through the airlines, this one jumped out at me. I traveled to Chicago this past summer and stayed at the Hyatt on Wesley Drive. I was there by myself for a conference and I would agree with others on this board who have said that Hyatt is a hotel for conference goers. I loved the location but, for my family (DH, DS15, DS12 and DD10) I want something a bit more personal. Hotel 71 looks like it might give me just that.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:11 AM

I posted this recently:

I stayed in Hotel 71 a week or so ago and it was very nice for a reasonable price ... (try lastminutetravel.com) ... Large, comfortable, modern rooms with a great view of the city and river if you're on the right side. The staff was most helpful and courteous. ... Only negative was occasional noise from slamming doors, which unfortunately seems to happen wherever we stay.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM

Well, with kids along, I would definately consider a hotel with an pool for cooling off after walking around all day! I googled hotels with pools, and the Hampton Inn and Suites came up. That location is about 4 blocks from Michigan and is near lots of shopping and restaurants. I stayed near there at the Embassy Suites in June. The location can't be beat. Also, the Best Western indoor north has a big indoor pool.

The only outdoor pool that I could find was a Best Western near Grant park.

Food for thought.