Chicago help: When to go, Where to stay, etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago help: When to go, Where to stay, etc.

Hi! We (me, my husabnd and 4 year old daughter) are planning our first visit to Chicago for 3 nights/4 days.

We have Memorial Day weekend (Saturday to Tuesday) OR July 4th weekend (Saturday to Tuesday) as availabale weekends to go.

July 4th weekend would probably work out a little better for our schedule but we are concerned about the crowds and slightly concerend about the heat (we are from FL so can deal with some heat but plan to walk mostly everywhere)

Which weekend would you suggest?

We are also trying to decide if we should stay on Michigan Ave (Westin Mich. Ave) or on LakeShore (W LakeShore)?

Which area would be better? Plan on doing some shopping, parks, zoo, Navy Pier...ya know, all of the toursity things

Any other suggestions, restaurant recommendations, etc. for us to do with our daughter would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:49 AM

The Westin on Michigan and the W on Lake Shore are both good enough locations - you'll be fine with either one. I would give the Westin location a slight edge in terms of convenience.

Do not worry about heat, even in August it's pretty nice - either of your weekend options will be pleasant weather.

Your 4 y/o will like all the normals Chicago things: zoo, boat ride, Grant Park, Navy Pier, the beach, riding the El...

I don't have specific restaurant recommendations for a 4 y/o (I tend toward wine bars when in town) but I know there are many, many places in every neighborhood that will fit the bill - you'll walk by hundreds that should work as you are out and about. I suspect the best options will be those in areas with a more residential bent. I recall some very pleasant family type places in the Printers Row neighborhood (but not the names!) with a relaxed vibe that have stellar options for grown ups as well as children. Just ask locals you encounter pushing a stroller once you are outside of the business areas- they'll eagerly give you some suggestions.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM

I agree that the Westin is a bit more centrally located than the W. Either date would be fine, Memorial Day weekend can be warm or in the 40s.

You can look for restaurants on www.chicagoreader.com or www.metromix.com. Either allows you to search by cuisine, neighborhood or price. Printers Row is an awfully long hike from the Mag Mile for just a restaurant. You'll find literally dozens within a few blocks of your hotel. You can try one of the Chicago-style pizza places or a Chicago-style hot dog and Italian beef.

Transit passes would probably be a wise investment. You can purchase a 3-day pass for $14 at the rail station at either airport or most CVS or Walgreens stores around downtown. Visit www.transitchicago.com for maps and a trip planner.

To reach the Lincoln Park Zoo, take the Number 151 bus northbound on Michigan Avenue. It stops at the zoo entrance. For the Museum campus, take the Number 146 southbound. For Navy Pier, the Number 66 on Chicago Avenue at Michigan, 3 blocks south of the Westin.

While in Lincoln Park, your daughter may also enjoy the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. It's just south of the zoo and has a free-flight butterfly gallery.

You may also want to consider one of the all-suite hotels. It would give you a bit more room with a refrigerator (and often a small kitchen) to store snacks. There are several around Michigan Ave including the Omni, 2 Residence Inns, 2 Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Spring Hill Suites, Hilton Suites and Doubletree. Many also include breakfast.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice!
We would actually like to stay elsewhere but airfare from FL to Chicago is crazy high. We are able to get a great deal through SWA vacations that includes air and hotel for the price of just what air would be. Those options ( the W and Westin ) seemed to be the best for the $. The DoubleTree was also on there so that is a possibility too. We have never been before so we don't have a preference as to where we want to stay...just want to be in a good location with good accessibility.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM

I think the Westin is a slightly better location as well. As mentioned above, your daughter will enjoy the zoo, park, and nature museum. If she's into dolls, you might want to visit American Girl, in Water Tower Place. Millenium Park would also be fun - kids always love the fountains, the Bean, etc.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM

The Magnificant Mile is the main shopping district. It extends along N Michigan Ave from the river to Oak Street. Navy Pier is about a half-mile east, 2 blocks north of the river; Grant & Millennium Parks are about a half-mile south of the river and the Museum Campus is another mile beyond.

The W is close to Navy Pier but 4-5 blocks farther from everything else. The Westin is at the corner of Michigan and Delaware, two blocks south of Oak. Several buses stop on the side of the building. The DoubleTree is about 2 blocks east of Michigan about half-way between the river and Oak. All are good hotels and have pluses and minuses. You just need to decide which is the best fit for you.

For maps and events while you're here, check www.choosechicago.com, operated by the visitors and convention bureau or www.explorechicago.org, the city's tourism site.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Printer's Row is now a medical office. I was there in November and walked to this area from Michigan Ave only to find a bunch of empty store fronts.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice, we're visiting the week before Easter. Citylights I took your advice and booked a suite also thanks for all the links.-PB
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Chicago restaurants are very kid friendly! Highly recommend the Peggy Noetbart nature museum in Lincoln Park as well as the free zoo. Cruise the river, see the "Bean", catch the trolley to the various museums in Streeterville area. Enjoy your visit!