Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago-Hotel Burnham location vs. Fitzpatrick

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help with your opinion on these hotels. I've tried to familiarize myself with the locations and attractions from other posts but still need a push. Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd, Navy Pier, Jazz Fest, Hancock Tower, misc sightseeing and of course FOOD! are all higher priority for us than shopping (other than American Girl Place for my daughter and the popcorn place). I think Berghoff's is near the Burnham??? Fitz is $45 more per night for D/D. All input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Based on youf information you would want to Stay at the Burnham. It will be closer to the Museums and Grant Park.

Keep in mind Chicago has a great public transit system. If you buy a visitors pass you can get to most attractions easily from any location quite easily adn cheaply.

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Hipvirgo -
Check the maps on choosechicago.com
Fitzpatrick is closest to Navy Pier, Hancock and very upscale shopping. Burnham is closer to museums, Jazz Fest (easy walking distance) and, yes, Berghoff's. Have a cold root beer for me, OK? The Fitzpatrick area is livelier at night and on the weekends, but, frankly, Michigan Avenue can be overwhelmingly crowded on weekend afternoons.

Take a long look at the free trolley map; it's should take you everywhere you want to go.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bri and pat. I checked out the trolley map, which looks great and we will definitely get the Citipass. I think Hotel Burnham sounds like a cool hotel place to stay.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM

If you end up at the Burnham Hotel, there is a lovely restaurant called the Atwood Cafe on the bottom floor. Since you are coming with a child, I'd probably not recommend having a meal there (expensive and not particularly child friendly) but the desserts are awesome, I had a white chocolate banana bread pudding there that was to die for.

Garrett's popcorn-go to the location on Randolph across from Marshall Field's on State, not the one on Michigan, much shorter line. It's within a block or two of the Burnham.

I consistently hear the same few restaurants mentioned for people traveling with their children so here are a few alternatives to the overvisited, sometimes mediocre restaurants like Ed Debevic's, Cheesecake Factory (good food but really long wait), Rainforest Cafe, etc.

pizza-take your pick, dozens of good places, my favorites include Lou Malnati's, Pizzeria Uno's, Giordano's, Edwardo's and My Pie (Lincoln Park)

hot dogs/sandwiches-Portillo's at 100 W. Ontario

Burgers-Boston Blackie's 164 E. Grand (near Michigan Avenue) or 120 S. Riverside Plaza in the loop, awesome, huge burgers (www.bostonblackies.com)

Italian-Scoozi 410 W. Huron kids make make their own pizza here on Sundays (www.leye.com) or my 10 year old niece tells me that Leona's is her favorite restaurant for Italian, multiple locations (www.leonas.com)

Asian-Big Bowl is supposed to be kid friendly, 6 E. Cedar or 60 E. Ohio

Mity Nice Grill-835 N. Michigan, the mac and cheese here is supposed to be fab (www.leye.com)

Ambria-2300 N. Lincoln Park West (near the Lincoln Park Zoo) I saw this recommendation in Chicago Magazine, the food for the kids comes from Mon Ami Gabi next door and while the parents eat dinner, the kids can help prepare a souffle (www.leye.com)

A few more from Chicago Mag for bruch-Flo 1434 W. Chicago, Ina's 1235 W. Randolph, Wishbone 1001 W. Washington

Or if you have slightly more adventurous eaters why not try one of the many fine Greektown or Chinatown restaurants or one of Chicago's Spanish tapas places like Cafe Iberico on LaSalle. You can order a variety of food at all of these places so they can sample a bit of everything
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM

In addition to the CTA visitors pass for transportation, you might take a look at the CityPass since much you want to do is on it and I think it may cut lines, a great thing in the tourist months.

http://citypass.com/cgi-bin/citypass...ago&rand=83811

And a note about dining on Navy Pier, we were just there last night to see Second City's R & J at the Shakespeare and had dinner at Joe's BeBop, very disappointing meal, both the pulled pork which was tough and the brisket that was also on the tough side.

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Kristi, thanks for the tips and food picks. Some of them are on my list including Cafe Iberico, which I enjoyed while visiting last year by myself and met friendly people willing to share food; and Lou Malnati's.