Reload this Page >

Chicago Westin/Mich.Ave-Mag.Mile

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:21 AM
George

We have booked a room in the Towers section of Westin Hotel on Mag.Mile/Mich Ave.Anybody stayed there? any comments?
We have heard of a lively section of Chicago for casual shops and restaurants at Lincoln Park area.Where exactly is it?how do we get there?EL?Taxi?what do we say to the taxi as to where to drop us?what streets are worth walking around in that section?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Frank

I really dislike that hotel. It's been a while since I last stayed there, but this place is no gem, believe me. You can just look at the outside, compare it to everything else in the area and say, "why hasn't this place been demolished?".
A harsh opinion yes, but it's a hotel that survives only because of location. If it were located 6 blocks farther west, it would have been closed years ago.
There's plenty of competition in the downtown hotel business in Chicago. Why did you choose the Westin?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Frank

BTW the Lincoln Park area is about a mile northwest of your hotel. Easily walkable in nice weather.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Blahblah

Frank,
What is it that you do not like about the Hotel?decoration of the rooms?prices?facilities?not clean enough?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:46 PM
arjay

Like many neighborhoods, the Lincoln Park area has boundaries that depend on who's talking...more or less. But it roughly begins at Armitage and Lincoln Park (Clark Street) and extends north to Fullerton Avenue and west to about Halsted Street. Halsted and Armitage could be a good place to start your wandering, lots of funky and/or interesting shops/restaurants up and down Halsted and Armitage, as well as adjacent streets.

The Westin does have an outstanding location...I hope someone can provide you with more definitive info on their accommodations.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:57 PM
John

'tis true that the Westin is very unattractive on the outside. The lobby is only slightly better. However, our room (June 2001) was wonderful. Recently renovated with marble bath, Westin's heavenly bed, etc. I think you'll enjoy it, esp. the location!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Jamie

Dear George: I live in Lincoln Park. The boutique area is located at Armitage and Halsted streets. Best way to get there from the Westin is by taxi (tell him corner of armitage and halsted) or by el (red line from Chicago to North and Clybourn and walk four blocks north to Armitage). THe boutiques run on armitage and north on halsted. Great place for breakfast by the westin is the Pancake house on Bellvue/rush. you can walk there. great place to have breakfast and lunch on the boutique strip is Toast on Webster and halsted. Good place for dinner on Armitage is Tarantino's or tapas at Babareba on halsted.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:00 PM
M

Arjay -

I've never heard anyone narrow the boundaries of Lincoln Park quite that way. Diversey and Southport are much more widely accepted as the northern and western boundaries.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:36 AM
arjay

M - That's why I started out my reply with a qualifier. But, strictly speaking, "Lincoln Park" area used to be defined by those boundaries - and I'd still argue that Halsted-Armitage is the hub. West of Halsted towards Fullerton was "DePaul" and North of Fullerton and up towards Lincoln-Belmont was "Lakeview"...I'm just an old crank who grew up in the Lincoln Park neighborhood...Mostly it's the realtors (the folks who used to try to stretch "Old Town" a mile or more in all directions) to blame for muddying all the neighborhood definitions.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:05 AM
Candace

I have stayed at the Westin and it's a pretty standard hotel fairly nice with a fantastic location. We had a good view of Michigan Ave and it was fun to watch the action when we weren't down in it. I always do Priceline for my downtown Chicago hotels and have been placed at the Westin and Doubletree for that area of Michigan ave but my favorite place to stay is the Hilton Towers at S. Michigan Ave. I'm a Hilton Gold Member so I get extra's there. If your main idea is to shop, go to clubs ect. The Westin is a better choice.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:16 AM
x

It is very tired inside, needs updating badly.
Nothing special about but the location

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:54 PM
sasha

Generally, Lincoln Park is considered by lifelong Chicagoans to be a neighborhood where young professionals who are not originally from Chicago choose to live. It is pleasant, but I wouldn't consider it a destination for tourists.

Shopping is expensive in Lincoln Park boutiques and they are generally scattered throughout the area as opposed to being highly concentrated in one great shopping area. There is not much to see.

To really experience the city, try the following areas: Andersonville (Swedish Bakery & ethnic restaurants) Lincoln Square Wicker Park/Bucktown (art galleries and good restaurants) or Devon and Western (Little India).

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Mary

I would like to clarify Lincoln Park. The boundaries are North Ave, Clybourn (or chicago river), the lakefront and Diversey. All the other areas described in the early reponses (Old Town, DePaul, etc.) are areas within Lincoln Park. This website should help.
www.lincolnparkchamber.com.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:06 AM
kdr

I've stayed at the Westin 10 times since November this year (travel for business). As everyone attests, it is nothing special, but the staff is helpful and I think the rooms are very nice. My biggest complaint is that they don't have a cheap place for breakfast--just a little coffee stand or the nicer restaurant. But, I like the convenience so I continue to stay there.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
mimi

Just returned from Chicago and stayed at the new Le Meridien, which we loved. The rooms were large with the best bed and the greatest easy chairs. The bathroom was extra large with a huge shower, no tub. The location is not far from the Westin. If you are looking for a breakfast spot we were sent to the Dearborn Dinner of Dearborn and Ill. They served huge breakfasts and the price and food were very good for this location. Third trip to the city and yet to get good weather.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Dan

Mimi-Sorry you got bad weather again, You missed glorious weather by a few days.

Agree with the LeMeridan choice. As I and others have stated, Le Meridan, the Talbott, and Swissotel are often discounted heavily on Quikbook.com. Much nicer than the Westin.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
danna

Not sure it's the location you want, but I LOVED the Swisshotel. Very plush, gorgeous health club, taxis galore, concierge gave me a jogging route, must show room key to access elevators after dark, I could go on...