Chicago El from Midway to...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chicago City Center Holiday Inn. Hubby's got a conference (I'm tagging along, as usual). Anyway - hotel website says to exit train at Randolf/Wabash and walk the 14 blocks or take a taxi from there. We'll have luggage, but not more than 1 average bag each (with wheels). After looking at the train map, I'm wondering what's wrong with exiting at State, transfer to Lake subway and go N. to Grand - which looks like 5 blocks from hotel. Will the luggage be too much trouble handling the transfer?
Which would you suggest?
Thanks so much!
d
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Gypsy, Your plan is definately the way to do it. I don't know why the hotel would suggest walking that far. Youll have to walk a block up to Lake but that would be the best plan.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM

You save very little by transferring to the subway. You have to walk downstairs at State/Lake, then two blocks south to State and Washington, where you have another set of stairs. You'll ride the subway 1 stop to Grand and State, then have another 6 blocks to walk to get to the hotel.

Either get off at State and Lake and walk NORTH to Wacker (1 block), east to Michigan (2 blocks), across the bridge and north to Ohio Street, then another 4 blocks to the hotel, or just grab a cab.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I would second getting a cab from the Randolf/Wabash or State/Lake station. Transfers can be annoying WITHOUT luggage, especially the one you are speaking of—you would be going from one set of tracks (the elevated) down to street level and then underground to a completely different set. I'm all about public trans., but time and frustration wise, I would just go with a simple cab ride and start the trip off on a good note!

Have a great time—when is your trip? Hope we have good weather for you!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your responses! We'll be there the week of Apr 8 - 14. We'll probably walk, anyway, if it's a pretty day...
Thanks again!
d
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM

You might also consider transferring at Roosevelt. I don't know whether the transfer is easier there than at State/Lake, but you do save a little bit of the orange line's going around the loop. Although I haven't done it in Chicago, I don't mind taking a small wheeled bag on subways, even with transfers, so it's just a matter of personal preference - some would rather take a cab, some wouldn't.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM

If you decide to transfer from the Orange Line to Red Line, Roosevelt is much easier than State/Lake. The Roosevelt station has elevators and escalators and the lines are connected. At State/Lake, you have to exit the "L" through the turnstile, walk down the stairs, then go back through the turnstile to enter the Red Line.

If you will have a lot of luggage or the weather is bad, you can exit the Orange Line at Clark/Lake, one stop before State and catch a cab. That station also has elevators and escalators.

Check the Chicago Transit Authority site at www.transitchicago.com. It has a trip planner and will give you all the available options.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -
after looking at the map (again...), I see what you mean. Helps a lot! I know we could take advantage of Hubby's business account and take a taxi from the airport, but I LOVE trains/subways... It's just part of a city's culture that I love to soak up!
d