Reload this Page >

Hotel Allegro Chicago

Search

Hotel Allegro Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM
Rocco

Hotel Allegro Chicago

Anyone have any experience with this property? How is the location in terms of transit to O'Hare? Proximity to the el? Room size and quality?
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Kris

The hotel's website says it's one block from the el. I believe that would be the State of Illinois building or right across from it at the Clark/Lake station. In any event, it's not a very long walk.

The hotel is in the business district/theatre district so it gets a little quiet at night unless there's a show playing at the Palace Theatre which is right next door. The Lion King is coming there in April, 2003.

It's not terribly far from the Randolph Street restaurant area, just a short cab ride.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:45 AM
ellen

You are about 5 blocks from the el. The blue line will take you to OHare. You're 6 blocks from Marshall Field and a 20 minute walk from the Miracle Mile.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:11 AM
patg

The hotel is on West Randolph Street between Wells and LaSalle Sts. It is two blocks from the Blue Line (O'Hare) entrance at Clark and State, if you cut across the big blue State of Illinois Center. One of downtown's most convenient hotels to the Blue Line, it is even closer to the Brown and Purple elevated lines, which are a half block away and can be noisy! Ask for a room on the east side. It is mostly an area of business and government buildings, but Michigan Avenue museums are 5-10 short blocks away, and North Michigan Avenue (Mag Mile) shopping is about a 20 minute walk. See:

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2002D.html

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:12 AM
patg

Sorry - I meant to say "entrance at Clark and LAKE" above.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:22 PM
xxx

Stayed there a year ago. Nice trendy hotel but rooms are small. You sometimes can get a discounted rate on quikbook.com. It's inside the Loop which is OK but I think that tourists would like a hotel in the north Michigan Ave. area better.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:03 PM
Rocco

Thanks to all for the good info. Sounds like the blue line from/to O'Hare will be the way to go (I've spent way too much time stuck in traffic en route to O'Hare!)
patg - are the trains so close to the hotel that one can really hear them? I see on the map you nicely provided that the orange line to Midway also is nearby. Would it be easier to get to Midway than O'Hare?
Thanks again to all - any moderate restaurant recommendations?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:31 PM
I Can't Remember

Check for a message I posted in September of '02 right after my visit to the Allegro. Fabulous place. I loved everything about it. We parked out O'hare and rode the el into the city. It was quick, simple, and painless. (Did I say cheaper than driving in?!?!)

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM
patg

Rocco, I've never taken the Orange Line from that station to Midway. It should be about 45 minutes on the train, similar to the trip to O'Hare.

Yes, the el trains are close, but fortunately it is straight track. The trains really squeal on the turns; you shouldn't have too much noise at Randolph Street.

My off the top restaurant recommendations in that area would include Trattoria No. 10 and Cafe Atwood; also try Costa's in Greektown.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Kris

A couple of pizza places that have good pizza-Giordano's is real close (about 1 1/2 blocks) at 310 W. Randolph, Lou Malnati's is a bit further at 439 N. Wells.

A little further north is Cafe Iberico for Spanish tapas at 739 N. LaSalle. I've had good meals at Big Bowl (Thai) at 159 W. Erie, good steaks at Wildfire also at 159 W. Erie, ribs and pork chops from Carson's at 612 N. Wells. Unless you have a nice day to walk, I'd suggest a cab for most of those.