Search

One Afternoon in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Afternoon in Chicago

Hello all -

I have an opportunity to go out to CHI on a quick overnight business trip the end of Aug - I have never been to this city (I've lived in NYC for over 15 yrs) and have arranged to have 1 afternoon on my own before getting down to business the following morning. I have co-workers meeting me at the Sutton Place Hotel in the early evening. My plan is to arrive at O'Hare @ 10:30am, get to hotel (not sure how yet) and have the day free. I am told this hotel is near a bunch of stuff downtown? I really am not much of a museum person but I love to shop and see some sights. I love the beach, outdoor recreation in genearl, so if I could see a piece of the Lake that could be nice, but I'll be alone... I really want to maximize what little time I have & see what I can. I'm in my late 30's for what it's worth. My mother suggested a boat ride on the river? Any suggestions for my short itinerary would be welcome & greatly appreaticated! Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:53 AM

take one of the river tours. they load at the wrigley building dock area.the architectural tour is especially nice.

go to the john hancock building top floor for a drink or sandwich.. no entrance fee if going to bar or restaurant.

see millenium park.. walk michigan avenue.you will see the lake from everywhere.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I responded to a similar post a month ago. I can't find the thread by using the search box, but if you click on my screen name and choose the "2/3rds of a day in Chicago" thread you'll be able to read people's responses to that posting.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:46 AM

With that little time, just wander up and down Michigan ave which will get you to all of lincasanova's suggestions. Millenium Park is great, maybe check out Marshall Field's State street, 2 blocks west of Michigan at Randolph (very close to Millenium Park). Michigan Ave. to the north is full of top of the line shopping but nothing very unique. Some unique shops are just west of Mich. Ave. at the north end between Mich. and Rush St.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Just to clarify: you will NOT "see the lake from everywhere" along Michigan Avenue. You will be right AT the lake if you start (or end) a N. Michigan Avenue stroll at Walton, where Oak Street beach is directly across the street from the landmark Drake Hotel and a stretch of venerable and monied high-rise apartments along E. Lake Shore Dr.

If it's very warm, a boat ride on the river will be a great way to cool off and see something of the city.

But the Sutton Place hotel is ideally located to launch you on a stroll that will give you some of Chicago's "flavor" along with a sense of how pretty and special a city it can be.

From the Sutton Place, head south on Rush Street to Walton, turn east at Walton for one long block. This takes you past a stretch of posh shops to the corner I mentioned above. I believe there is still an underpass for you to cross over to the beach if you'd like the experience of actually getting some sand in your toes mere steps from a bustling, cosmopolitan oasis. Then walk south along Michigan Avenue, at least to the Water Tower at Chicago Avenue. If the sky is clear that day, a zip up to the top of the Hancock would def be a good thing.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great suggsetions. I have found some info on the Chi Architectural Cruise - by Shoreline boat tours I think ... 1 hour. Looks like a great idea for me to do & get a view of the city ... and of course shop up & down Michigan Ave! I'm having a hard time visualizing how far things are from each other on the maps I've been seeing online. It looks like my hotel is at one end of Mich ave & when I get to the other end, I'm not too far from the Navy Pier area? Is is walkable? I see their are buses and a trolly that takes you to the Pier?!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:54 AM
hdm

The architectural boat tour was great. I'm sure your hotel would have details about it and we just bought our tickets at the spot where the boat docked. It's probably mentioned on the City of Chicago web page.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM

jules66 - The distance from Millennium Park to the Hancock Building is about 1 mile up Michigan Ave. Everything you would like to do is walkable, and being from NYC you're probably used to plenty of walking. If you don't feel like walking, the trolley system is fine, and free. I'm fairly certain that at all of the trolley stops they have a map so you can see where they go.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I sure am used to walking! I can't wait! Looks like there is a 90 min "arch. river cruise" tour that leaves from Mich Ave Bridge & Wacker Dr. and I've also found a 1 hr arch tour that leaves from Navy Pier (Shoreline boat tour). I'm leaning toward the 1 hr but then again, it could take me that extra 1/2 hr just to get over to the pier. Maybe I'm better off w/the 90 min one?!
Oh yeah, and I'll have to find myself a chicago hotdog somewhere along the way!! (dinner will be with co-workers & I'm not worrying about where!)
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Second everyone's opinion on the architecture boat tour...I did the hour one that leaves from Navy Pier, and it's one of my favorite memories of the time I've spent there. Do that, walk Michigan Avenue and window shop, then have a cocktail on the 95th floor of the Hancock building. A perfect Chicago afternoon!
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM

I second everyone's opinion on the arch boat tours, but I stress ONLY do the one's offered by the Chicago Architecture Foundation if you want amazing docents who know their stuff....one of the Chicago papers did a funny story on all the companies providing architecture tours and pointed out all of the misinformation, urban legends, hyperbole and outright lies told by the non-CAF tours....www.architecture.org is their website I believe
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:23 PM

I second the admonition to stick with the Chicago Architecture Foundation's tours! I've yet to hear a bad word about them. And what's the point of taking an architecture tour if you're going to get misinformation?! Stick with the authorities on the subject and you'll know that what you're hearing is the real deal.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:07 AM
DMG

I'm from New York and have lived in Chicago for 35 years. You're staying at a wonderful hotel in a great neighborhood. It's easy to walk from your hotel to any of the places mentioned. Chicago is really a manageable, clean New York! Take the Chicago Architectural boat tour, walk down Oak Street to get to Michigan Avenue and see Oak Street Beach. Try to get to Millenium Park even if you must do that after dinner.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to thank you all for your wonderful advice! Had a great trip. Took the EL from the airport to hotel, took the CAF boat tour on the river, took a walk thru Millenium Park, went to the original Marshall Fields, walked north up Michigan Avenue, had a chicago hot dog, shopped, took a walk to Oak St. beach, walked along Oak St, and had dinner w/co-workers at an oyster bar & then stopped at the "cheeseburger, cheeseburger" place, and topped it off with a view of from the lounge at the John Hancock bldg (yes, view from ladies room is awesome!!!)
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Jules, Glad you enjoyed yourself-come back for longer next time!