Chicago conference w/ spouse - June 08

May 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Chicago conference w/ spouse - June 08

We'll be in Chicago June 22-26th for a conference and our husbands are joining us. We need fun things to do in the evening for all four 30-somethings - we want restaurant recommendations, places to hear good music (blues?) and cool stuff to keep the guys busy during the day. I already checked Wrigley Field and may want to get out on the water but not sure where to start with that. What else? I doubt they would go for architectural tours. I think we're staying at the Palmer House Hilton.
May 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Well - we got tickets to Second City for Monday night show "Best Of" and Tuesday night tickets to Cubs vs Orioles but still no nightlife or music plans or suggestions for our guys during the day. Can you help?
May 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
kja

For blues, try Kingston Mines.

Enjoy!
May 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Chicago Blue is another place to see live blues music. There's a good bar right near there called the Clark Street Ale House.

It's too bad they won't do the architecture tour, because IMO it's an essential Chicago thing to do. Would they go for the Art Institute? Field Museum?

What's your budget for restaurants? Cuisine interests/preferences/restrictions? I try to get every visitor to go to Hot Doug's for the best sausages -- hands down -- in the city.

Are they into good beer? Good bars for that are the Map Room, Hop Leaf, and Quenchers, as well as Clark Street Ale House.
May 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I second the recommendations for Clark Street Ale House and the Map Room. You can also check Metromix and the Chicago Reader Online for fun things to do.

It looks like Taste of Randolph Street (with food and live music) might be going on for the first day you are here.

On Wednesday morning they can go to the Green City Market, which is a great farmers' market. It would also be easy for them just to walk along the lake front or hang out at Oak Street Beach.

Along with Hot Doug's (great sausages!) I'd recommend North Pond restaurant for a nice dinner. The food is very good and the location (in Lincoln Park) and the view are incredible.
Jun 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. Sorry it took me a month to get back to this. No price range for restaurants as both couples are DINK's (dualincomenokids) and eager to explore anything fun/lively and classicly Chicago. Likely one of the guys will do architecture tour but the other ...probably not. Yes, we'd be intrested in trying some local brews, wine or other adult beverages. Thanks again!
Jun 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM

See if you can find some info about Quartino Restaurant down by Rush St. Great lunch spot with salumi, cheeses, pizza, etc. Really cute restaurant. Also, The Red Head Piano bar is right there and is a lot of fun.