Aspen,CO or Stowe Vermont, please help!

Jan 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Aspen,CO or Stowe Vermont, please help!

I am trying to plan a winter getaway for the christmas season and both Aspen and Vermont are looking very appealing. We have been to the Poconos (2 hrs from home) many times, but we would like to try someplace new. I am torn between the two, although Aspen is much further away than Vermont, I am leaning towards Aspen, but I am not sure we can afford it.

It will just be my husband and I and he is a beginner skier, who loves to horseback ride and snowtubing. I like shopping, dining, sightseeing, and will snowtube as well.

I read that Aspen offers some of the best slopes for beginners, and has plenty else to do off the slopes.

Vermont ski resorts also get very good reviews.

I have already begun my research, what would be the place way to figure out which is doable and affordable, without breaking the bank. Fine dining is not high on our list, we do fine at a cafe, bistro, diner, or a nice hotel restaurant and bar with a lively atmosphere. We do splurge at least once on vacation for a nice dinner.

I know airfare will be more out of philly to Aspen, compared to Vermont, and it seems that its not that easy getting to Aspen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jan 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Aspen is a very expensive getaway and at Christmas even more so. You can have a wonderful time at many other Colorado resorts. There is another thread going right now for resorts with beginner-expert skiing.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34923181
Breckenridge, Keystone, etc.

Aspen is the height of luxury and fine dining -- bring your platinum amex card and your fur coats.

Those resorts that you can get to from Denver may be a better choice for ease of transportation and cost/accomodations.

Jan 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Very different types of skiing in west and east. East is moister, so the snow gets icy. Crunchy. West typically has deep powder. Both can be challenging for beginners. Aspen is anything but affordable. Check out Montana and Utah for slightly more affordable vacations. But really, if you're looking for affordability, stick with New England and drive to save the plane fare.

Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Try Stowe, Vermont. The resort has refurbished & improved its beginner terrain lately and there are all sorts of off-mountain activities and entertainment. Quite a bit cheaper than Aspen, I imagine. Try the Green Mountain Inn - http://www.greenmountaininn.com. Luxury rooms are fabulous and compared to other "luxury" locations in Stowe you get more for a lot less.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM

If you're thinking Aspen, stay and ski in Snowmass. It's cheaper, the skiing is easier and there's a free shuttle that runs to Aspen.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

I agree with Yale - Snowmass would be better for you. Ajax/Aspen Mtn (right in Aspen) is intermediate to advanced skiing.

Snowmass has its own village and better beginner skiing.

FYI - the week before Xmas will be cheaper than the xmas to New Year's week, though both will sell out early.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Another vote for staying/skiing at Snowmass. My fave lodging is the Mountain Chalet, check their on-line availability calender and then call them, 1-800-843-1579. This place is a ski-in-ski-out type lodge and they
include breakfast and a hot soup lunch in the winter.

You will find additional beginner skiing at nearby Buttermilk & Aspen Highlands.

R5
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Do you or your husband have any medical conditions that might be affected by altitude? There is a major difference in altitude between Colorado and Vermont.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
sistahlou

I grew up in New England. I don't ski. I won't ski. But when and if alseimers sets in and I want to ski - i would choose the snow of Colorado over the snow of Vermont. I just hear it's so much softer! Oh and I do love Telluride in the summer! How about Crested Butte? Skip Aspen if you can't afford it, it will only annoy you~

Mar 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I grew up in Aspen and agree with all the posts. You can't beat the snow out west and the town of Aspen for a vacation. Snowmass in particular has great beginner runs for your husband and will be slightly less expensive. That being said, You need to bring your wallet, your husband's and several others as well if you are going there. The prices are high is an understatement. If you want Colorado skiing try another venue. If you want to enjoy the lovely town that Aspen is (and it is lovely) go during the off season and enjoy the beauty of the town and it's surroundings (May is when my husband and I always go). Good luck with your trip.
Jun 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM

This is what I recommend. Skip your vacation for one year and stay at home. Save the cash and combine it with next years fund.

Then next year, make your trip to Aspen without worrying about money. Stay at Hotel Aspen so you can walk to town and window shop. You husband can easily catch the shuttle to Snowmass or Buttermilk to go ski, and you will be in town to enjoy all Aspen has to offer. Check out www.foodieaspen.com and ask your concierge to recommend a good restaurant to splurge on one night.

This trip to Aspen will be better than two to Vermont!
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Aspen's great in the winter at Christmas it is so magical I agree with Hotel Aspen. Skip the fur though! Save an animal and $800 bucks! NY Pizza is a great inexpensive place to grab a bite(pizza and salad) or the Cantina(Mexican). Boogie's is a great diner with a twist!!!!! Mezzaluna is more expensive but a great spot to grab some fabulous American italian