Search

skiing in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skiing in Colorado

We are planning a ski trip (4 adults) to colorado next March . Can anyone suggest ski areas, discounted lift tickets, accomodation etc. We are all very accomplished skiers.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM

What kind of experience are you looking for - super upscale, downscale, ski-in/ski-out, "manufactured" ski resort, old mining town-turned ski resort?
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

We are looking for a middle range lodging - the skiing is the most important thing with shopping next! We will have a car so a central hotel/motel would work.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Colorado is a big state with a lot of ski areas. Are you flying in or driving?? That will help get suggestions.

What is your budget? How much time do you have?

Deb
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Love Telluride..great for us advanced skiers..still has its cowboy charm with great restaurants and apres ski action.
Don't know about discounts but check it out and see what kind of deals are going on..seems like everyone has one.
Vail-Beaver Creek is another great choice.
Aspen, I like but only for the Christmas holidays..The Little Nell is tradition but the area can be over the top on the nouveau rich.
Colorado is one of the best in the world to ski!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM

We've liked lots of areas in Colorado.
Aspen: four mountains to choose from, one large (Snowmass) and three small (Buttermilk for beginners, Aspen Highlands, Aspen Mountain--no beginner terrain). The town has lots of shopping and the bus system is excellent. I especially like that you can ski at an area one day and have your skis delivered to another area for the next day.
Beaver Creek: a small mountin, with shopping at the base. We've skied there when Vail gets crowded.
Breckenridge: good skiing, and a very nice town for shopping.
Copper Moutnain: good skiing, but not much of a base area.
Keystone: we've only been there four times, but the conditionsd have always been icey. Otheres haven't had the same experience. A manufactured village more than a town.
Steamboat Springs: excellent skiing, a ranch town nearby.
Vail: the largest area in Colorado, excellent shopping.
Winter Park: very good skiing, not much of a town.

Some decision making factors for me would be: how long are you going to be there? We get bored easily, and since we usually ski for six days, like either a large area or a place where there are several areas close together. Where is easist to get to? We live 90 miles from Chicago, and can fly non-stop to Steamboat from there. Or, we fly non-stop from our home airport and drive (under two hours) to Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, Vail, or Winter Park.

You could stay in Frisco and be within driving distance of Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, Vail or Winter Park.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Since Op hasn't come back, I'll just toss out Durango Mountain [formerly known as Pergatory,still called that by locals] and Wolf Creek.

Telluride is great but it is very expensive, both lift tickets, accomodations, restuarants and though the town is cute, it is tiny and not near anything else. Getting to takes some doing unless you have $$$ and can fly in.

Durango and Wolf Creek offer a variety of accomodations at a variety of prices, same for places to eat. Wolf Creek usually has the deepest base in the area. Durango has more non-skiing things to do than Pagosa Springs, where Wolf Creek is located. Both these areas will offer good skiing in deep powder and not break your bank.

Best[cheapest] airport to use is ABQ [Albuquerque] and drive 3 hours to either on. They are about an hour apart. You can fly into Durango, but it is $$.

The above are good options if you don't want to fly into Denver and have to deal with more upscale resorts.

Deb
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM

I meant to add:

Accomplished skiers doesn't necessarily mean [in my book] expert, so not sure what type of skiing you are looking for or what you are used to skiing.

Deep powder here rules, no ice like back east.

DH is expert, skis the trees and loves Telluride. For skiiers than are looking for absolute max thrill, Silverton [just north of Durango] will do that for you, but not cheaply.

Solid skiers that like blue and some black, Durango and Wolf Creeke will be great.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Can't comment on the skiing itself, because I don't ski anymore, but you should do a little research (maybe on-line, look at pictures), because the towns/ski areas mentioned above are quite different from each other. As someone mentioned, Aspen can be very high on the "look how much money I have" scale (and the restaurant prices reflect that, but on the upside, there are MANY great restaurants in Aspen). Vail, which everyone says is great for skiers, is more of a ski village than a town. Also, its laid out in a straight line between the freeway and the mountain. From what I've heard, Breckenridge and Durango are more like Park City -- quaint old towns with excellent skiing. Etc.