Chicago Bound

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Bound

Chicago folks ... need your help. Hoping to plan a trip to Chicago to see Ms. Winfrey. Our trip will only be a couple of days. Where should we stay to be able to also get in a few sites? The Loop or Near North? Any recommendations on hotels? What is a must-see for such a short trip? Any great restaurants at which we should dine? PS - we are on a tight budget, so nothing too fancy or expensive.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Near North, actually Gold Coast is best for shopping-Loop is better for museums but can be dead at night. The Art Institute is great, as are the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. The best shopping is on Michigan Avenue north of the river, but Marshall Fields on State st. is a must. (Not far from Mich. Ave.) As for restaurants, what to you have in mind? Steak, pizza, Italian, other ethnic? Give us some ideas.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:50 PM

We stayed at the Ramada on Lakeshore Drive, near Hyde Park in Oct. 2003. Not the spiffiest place (they are remodeling, however), and no indoor pool (outdoor only) BUT it was a cheap deal, and the attached restaurant was all we needed for breakfast and dinners. (also inexpensive) They have a shuttle to all the attractions or you can get City Shuttles to the Loop as well from the Museums. I'd stay there again and use my money for other fun things!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM

OH -- they also do not charge for parking!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Good Lord. Do NOT stay in Hyde Park!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Do you already have the Oprah tickets? I know from experience that they're VERY difficult to get. I got to go twice, but only through friend of a friend connections.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Priceline is an excellent way to get great hotels for not much money. Be sure to check out www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding. You will probably want to stay either on North Michigan Avenue if you are more interested in shopping/dining or the loop if you are more interested in museums. But thre aren't as many dining opportunities in the loop so you can also stay on North Michigan and then take a bus/cab to the museums.

All of the museums have free days throughout the year, typically during the non tourist season. Check the museums' website to see which days. The Terra Museum, which should be open through October 2004, is free every day

1/2 price tickets to a lot of Chicago area productions are available at the Hot Tix booths, visit www.hottix.org for more info.

If you are coming into O'Hare or Midway airport, take the el for $1.75, no extra charge for luggage.

There are free trolleys running through Chicago, daily during the summer and on the weekends the rest of the year.

Many of the foods Chicago is known for are inexpensive-pizza, hot dogs, Italian beef are all good budget options. And the further you get away from the city center (North Michigan Avenue and the loop), generally the less expensive the food is.

There are many events during the year that are free including Venetian Night, the Air and Water Show, July 4th fireworks (actually on July 3rd), concerts in Grant Park, free movies in Grant Park and many events at the Cultural Center including the free loop train tour in the warmer months and guided tours of the Cultural Center.

The Chicago Greeter service is free, you can use them to visit parts of the city that are off the beaten path. www.chicagogreeter.com

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Though not a Chicago native, I believe that I can offer some assistance after our windy city weekend in January. Before making online reservations, check out the Hotels link here at fodors for reviews and ratings. Go to www.metromix.chicagotribune.com for assistance on theatre, restaurants, etc. Trust Kristi's advise..... loved Bistro Margot kiddo, thanks again!