Search

Girlfriend's weekend in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
cbr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girlfriend's weekend in Chicago

My friend and I are meeting in Chicago in early May. We both are city people but have never been to Chicago and had heard great things about the city. Since we are travelling without husbands and kids could anyone recommend nice hotels in safe areas, along with interesting things to do? We hope to do some shopping, museums and sightseeing. We also enjoy interesting restaurants. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM

You will love it! Plan to bring coats though, May can still be chilly!

see choosechicago.com adn metromix.com for great city info.

Stay at a hotel near the Mag Mile (North Michigan Ave).
Drinks at the 96th floor lounge of the Hancock building.
Dinner/margaritas at Frontera Grill
Shopping on Mich ave and State St.
Millenium Park
Field Museum and/or Art institute
Walk through Lincoln Park Zoo
Architecture boat tour
Pizza at Pizanos on State
Brown line to ARmitage for boutiquing and dinner at Cafe Babareeba!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM

My girlfriends and I usually stay at the Westin on Michigan in close prosimity to the John Hancock building. Good location and always find good rates. We always think we're going to hit the museums but never seem to make it off the Magnificent Mile. We've gotten into the habit of having a late lunch at Rosebud on Rush after a day of mostly window shopping.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM
JJ5

The Art Institute is not to be missed. If you do nothing else cultural in Chicago- spend a few hours there looking at the Impressionists.

In May the Chicago Arch. F. is doing the Chicago River Tour- get aboard, buy your tickets online and do it. You won't be sorry.

If you have any time for a show, Wicked has been extended until July. Get the seats now www.ticketmaster.com. Perfect for the girls time out. I took all the females in my family- best day we had last year.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I really agree with the Art Institute museum, the restaurant there is very nice for lunch after.

And Wicked is a great show!

Osteria Via Stato is another great restaurant.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:33 AM

If you get a lovely spring day (hopefully, you'll have several, but you never know in Chicago!) - take a stroll north along the lakefront (from The Drake Hotel at Walton to North Avenue will probably be about a leisurely 20-30 minute walk. That will put you at the edge of Lincoln Park, through which you could also stroll a bit - they have a great Farm and Zoo - and then, wend your way back along State or Astor or Dearborn, Chicago's fabled "Gold Coast," - charming, neighborhood-y, tree-lined streets still lined with old mansions and townhouses (and more than a few high-rises, as well, unfortunately).
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM

cbr, it's a wonderful time of the year you are coming to Chicago. Just in time for the tulips on Michigan Avenue, I do believe.

I'd recommend that for accommodations please consider the Fleming House B&B, which is housed in a brownstone in the Gold Coast district, about 3 blocks north of the top of the Magnificient Mile and 1 block east of N. Rush Street (where there are many restaurants). It's more like separate apartments than a true B&B experience. Take a look at their website for details.

Totally agree with the suggestions for the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise, the Art Institute and Millennium Park, the Field Museum and/or Shedd Aquarium. Drinks in the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock Building. Wicked is a good choice as well, but I'd still check Metromix to see what's happening at the other theatre venues when you are here.

I'd also recommend going to the Green Mill (take the Red Line El up to the Lawrence stop) for jazz; The Hothouse on Balbo for international acts; Buddy Guy's for blues. Maybe an evening at Second City, Zanies or I/O (formerly the Improv Olympic)?

Restaurants: Gosh, so, so many from which to choose...the top tier (with prices to match) are Charlie Trotter's, Tru, Alinea, Everest, Avenues, Spiaggia.

My suggestions: Aria (International fusion comfort food) is very close to Millennium Park and only a short cab ride away from the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, where Wicked is playing. Also, if you are going to Wicked, I like Golden Budha (Chinese steakhouse) - 4 blocks west on Randolph. Wonderful food, lovely ambiance, reasonable prices.

Le Colonial (French Vietnamese) is 1.5 blocks NW of the John Hancock Building on N. Rush.

North Pond (in Lincoln Park in a lovely, lovely setting on the north end of the lagoon) would be my suggestion for brunch. Once you are finished there, walk south along the lagoon and then once you cross Fullerton, you are at the Lincoln Park Conservatory and the Lincoln Park Zoo - both are free of charge.

Brasserie Jo for fine French dining at really reasonable prices. "Jo" is short for Jean Joho, who is the chef of Everest, by the way. If you go on a Thursday and wear your chic chapeau, you get a free dessert.

Go to Shaw's Crabhouse on N. Hubbard for seafood and then Andy's Jazz Club two doors to the east for great jazz.

Have fun planning all the details but you'll have even more once you get here!